Post Your Controversial Views on Popular Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:08 am

I hate all those text adventures with crappy text parsers!!!
You see a dragon. The dragon is about to kill you.
>kill dragon

Sorry but I don't understand the word 'kill'.
>fight dragon

With what?
>sword

Sorry but I don't understand the word 'sword'.
>great big knife thingy

Sorry but I don't understand the word 'great big knife thingy'.
Unfortunately, the dragon has eaten you. Game over.
AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

Celebaglar

Post by Celebaglar » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:23 am

will2097 wrote:SOunds great - can I join? I've often thought that about the web in general. Graphics? Nooo. I did do computer science. I can still hex-edit. I have a geeky job. I learnt PASCAL and Cobol. STOS was the best thing on the ST. I WROTE MY OWN UUENCODE/UUDECODE for the amiga!!!! Elm was the best email client. NTTP STILL RULEZ. I don't eat quiche. What do I have to do?!?

I refuse to wear sandals though. Will that hold up my membership?
Probably. If not, calling it NTTP will definitely disqualify you. :P

batman877

Post by batman877 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:31 am

stvd wrote:All N64 games except Mario 64 - a poor system with a poor controller!
I agree about the N64 controller. Everybody seemed to love it. I hated it, the gamecube controllers work so much better. I'm just pleased I can now play my favourite N64 games with a different controller (via the Wii).

GovanGer

Post by GovanGer » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:34 am

I preferred WCW/NWO Revenge to WWF No Mercy

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:58 pm

Controversial?

Can't stand SF2. It just does nothing for me.

Ditto GTA 3/VC/San Andreas.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:28 pm

Personally I think The Sims is a great piece of software
Ok , I don't want to play it myself , but for a title that's accessible to everyone , and can be used as a sandbox for virtually anything you want it to be , it's a great piece of software (though not really a game as such)
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:29 pm

^ most controversial post yet :wink:

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:48 pm

Sureshot wrote:^ most controversial post yet :wink:
I realy can't understand why many seem it hate it so much, apart from the fact that it's very popular and played by many 'casual' gamers. Regardless of the fact that EA are squeezing it for every drop they can (which is hardly unusual for them!) rthere is very little you can crticise about the 'game' itself
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:50 pm

Apart from 'there is no game'. Its the fact that they have milked it far more than other franchises, it has only had 2 versions but a million add-ons that should have been in the main thing. Its like they leave stuff out on purpose. Oh and have I mentioned that there is no game?

Show 2 of WGAx has the official Weekend Gamer opinion of The Sims, but that basically sums it up.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:58 pm

SirClive wrote:Apart from 'there is no game'. Its the fact that they have milked it far more than other franchises, it has only had 2 versions but a million add-ons that should have been in the main thing. Its like they leave stuff out on purpose. Oh and have I mentioned that there is no game?

Show 2 of WGAx has the official Weekend Gamer opinion of The Sims, but that basically sums it up.
but is that better than FIFA that has no add-ons but a million versions?
I agree there is no game in there for the majority of us - but for those who desire little more than a computerised dolls-house then it is an ideal past-time

I cannot undersatand that LCP is applauded whilst The Sims appalls - usually by the same people. It could be argued that The Sims is the sequel to LCP - in fact forget the arguing , The Sims IS the sequel to LCP
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:35 pm

FIFA has been updated with correct teams , strip etc which is stuff that they could not have put in the 1st release. I agree that a new one every year is overkill, but at least I can se some justification. The Sims is half a game sold a full price and then they expect you to buy the rest.

Though this isn't a thread for arguing about other peoples choices, so I will say no more about it :wink:

Instead I will give my next 'controversial' view...

World of Warcraft is censored. £90 a year for a game I already own :shock: I think not!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:42 pm

SirClive wrote:FIFA has been updated with correct teams , strip etc which is stuff that they could not have put in the 1st release. I agree that a new one every year is overkill, but at least I can se some justification. The Sims is half a game sold a full price and then they expect you to buy the rest.

Though this isn't a thread for arguing about other peoples choices, so I will say no more about it :wink:

Instead I will give my next 'controversial' view...

World of Warcraft is censored. £90 a year for a game I already own :shock: I think not!
Like I said , The Sims is not a game I like - I guess I'm playing devil's advocate here- just seems a shame to castigate it because EA have squeezed it for every penny they could

As far as WOW is concerned the problem is , if people did't pay an ongoing fee , it would rely on unprofessional updates

If WOW is the only game you play (and for some it is ) a couple of £s a week is a small price to pay

Personally I was never interetested in MMO games until LOTR came along - but tbh 1 months play was enough for me - may go back to it later though
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:52 pm

SirClive wrote:The 360 is reliable if you treat it right.
You mean if you don't ever plug it in. Or do you mean if you don't ever take it out of the box? :P :lol:

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:00 pm

I mean if you take it for walks on the beach and talk nicely to it every day.

But to be fair - never had a problem woth mine.

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:00 pm

yakmag wrote:Sim city/life.........
I think these games are a waste of playing time. I once played Sim Earth and just left the game to run without doing anything except putting some stuff down. After 4 hours without any interference from me I got a message saying I'd reached Mars. :?