Post Your Controversial Views on Popular Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TheShend

Post by TheShend » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:13 am

I'll give anything a chance, but one thing I won't touch is MMO's, WoW and all them just require to much time than I'm prepared to give and in my view, not much in return.

Resident Evil's control system put me completely off the series from the moment the dogs burst in in the first game and killed me. But I love what they did with Resident Evil 4.

Alot of the traditional RPG's and therefore (wrongly) all RPG's from then on I couldn't really stomach, things like FF. But Panzer Dragoon Saga with it's real-time combat system changed my attitude alot, thanks Sega Saturn Magazine for that 1st Disc ^_^ Perversly I may like FFXII because the system has been reworked.

SFII used to grate on me becase I could never get around certain tactics like fireball spamming or turtling Guiles. But I really liked SFIII because the parry gave me a tool to get round this type of play, especially against characters like Ken and Ryu.

The 3D Grand Theft Auto's haven't appealed to me either but the 4th genuinely sounds very interesting from previews.

I'm to soft to really hate anything.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:16 am

Dudley wrote:Um, the thread is "post your views". A lot of people seem to post <insert popular game> is censored, just to be "funny".
well may God strike us down for trying to be funny......... :cry:

A lot of other people on this forum seem to post a very pedantic and serious reply just to be " an arse hole"

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:35 am

My view on the Sims,

Apart from it's (censored) and a waste of storage medium. I just don't GET it.
Is it a god game? Populous and it's ilk are far better imo.
Sim city/life again are again good games.

I think it's the subject matter that I just don't see the point.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:35 am

He's a frustrated school prefect - leave 'im alone. ;)

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:50 am

I consider any MGS game to be the most self-indulgent, boring censored I've ever had the misfortune to play. As I said on another forum, if I wanted to read incoherent, up-its-own-hole-for-the-sake-of-it pish for 20 minutes then play a crap game, I'd read Edge for a while, then play Jet Set Willy.

I also hate Jet Set Willy, BTW.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

chewy

Post by chewy » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:54 am

How about whole Publishers?
I freakin' HATE Ubisoft. All their games promise way more than they deliver.
This started with Rayman for me, and has continued through XIII, Red Steel et al.
XIII is the biggest culprit. I sat playing this game on Xbox when it first came out. I liked the cel shaded graphic style, and the story kept me somewhat entertained. BUT... The ending. "What a load of money grabbing basts" I thought after finally beating the more than cheap bosses. IT DOESN'T EVEN PRETEND TO FINISH! THEY LEAVE A MASSIVE PLOT GAP TO LEAVE IT OPEN FOR THE NEXT GAME! WHICH WILL PROBABLY NEVER GET PUBLISHED! AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Red Steel is crap as well.

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:18 am

Smurph wrote:I also hate Jet Set Willy, BTW.
Someone buy that man a drink.

I never really enjoyed Robotron. Llamatron was, from some undefined reason, great to play but Robotron wasn't. It's the same with Defender and Dropzone. Dropzone = Great Defender = Bad.

And MGS 2? It's a mishmash of postmodernity and one dimensional puzzle dynamics. I don't want to part with money to be forced to listen to Hideo Kojima's existential crises.

Tetris is average. Pac Man is about as much fun as playing 'Catch the Arrow in Your Eye' and the excellent Taito Legends compilation was very nearly ruined by the inclusion of Space Invaders.

Also, the so-called greatest game in the whole world ever (Zelda and the Stinking Ocarina of Time) left me cold. It amused me for an hour but then I had to sell my GameCube and go back to playing proper RPGs. You know, the type that 90% of people on this forum seem to hate.

And I don't like Mario games either. I can never figure out how to increase his Hit Points.

In fact, if it were up to me then every video game in the whole world ever would force you to go through a super complex character creation process and make you choose some magic spells - one of which would always, always be called 'Magic Missile'.

Except for Mercenaries. That game's pretty cool as it is. And ICO.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

TheStitch

Post by TheStitch » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:39 am

Well, i hate the Sims games.... They are totally boring! And my girlfriend has made a family based on us and insists on showing me how well they do every time i go to her place....Damn it!
Retro Cigarette Smoker

Heavy Stylus

Post by Heavy Stylus » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:43 am

woody.cool wrote:
Heavy Stylus wrote:I hate Sonic! :shock:
WTF!?! :shock:

Mind you ... that's as bad as me saying 'I hate Mario!' - well actually, that's true - I've never been a fan of Mario.
Hahaha. To be fair, I don't actually 'hate' the sonic series, but I'm certainly not what you'd call a fanboy.
http://www.rgcd.co.uk
8-128 Bit & beyond: Indie game development news for vintage & modern computer hardware.

GovanGer

Post by GovanGer » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:01 am

I don't understand what the big deal is with the Castlevania games.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:04 am

I usually like strategy type games, but I could never get into any of the 'Lords of Midnight' type games.

I just thought they were way more boring than watching paint dry! Although I know that technically they were a great idea that was crammed into a very small amount of computer space.

And, yes I also can't stand the Sims, but then again I don't think many 'games players' rate the Sims very much.
It's more a normal person's interactive computer entertainment application ;)
Last edited by GarryG on Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:05 am

Hate all FPS - Have tried, lord knows I have tried, most recently with Resistance Fall of Man but after being killed within about 30 seconds and not having a clue who or what killed me, I give up :roll:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:08 am

I hate all those text adventures with crappy text parsers!!!
You see a dragon. The dragon is about to kill you.
>kill dragon

Sorry but I don't understand the word 'kill'.
>fight dragon

With what?
>sword

Sorry but I don't understand the word 'sword'.
>great big knife thingy

Sorry but I don't understand the word 'great big knife thingy'.
Unfortunately, the dragon has eaten you. Game over.
AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

Celebaglar

Post by Celebaglar » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:23 am

will2097 wrote:SOunds great - can I join? I've often thought that about the web in general. Graphics? Nooo. I did do computer science. I can still hex-edit. I have a geeky job. I learnt PASCAL and Cobol. STOS was the best thing on the ST. I WROTE MY OWN UUENCODE/UUDECODE for the amiga!!!! Elm was the best email client. NTTP STILL RULEZ. I don't eat quiche. What do I have to do?!?

I refuse to wear sandals though. Will that hold up my membership?
Probably. If not, calling it NTTP will definitely disqualify you. :P

batman877

Post by batman877 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:31 am

stvd wrote:All N64 games except Mario 64 - a poor system with a poor controller!
I agree about the N64 controller. Everybody seemed to love it. I hated it, the gamecube controllers work so much better. I'm just pleased I can now play my favourite N64 games with a different controller (via the Wii).