Post Your Controversial Views on Popular Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

rupert

Post by rupert » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:21 pm

I didnt like mario on the NES found it really boring, on the Game Boy however it was much better. I never understood how mario could be so popular yet Alex Kidd hardly gets any attention :( clearly Miracle World was a far batter game.

Hate all RPG's, ive really tried hard to enjoy them but there just sooo boring (much like those crappy lord of the rings films, they go in the same pigeon hole of dullness for me)

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:44 pm

Why not try Castlevania SotN? Its an RPG that plays like a platformer, to be honest its the only RPG I can stomach

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:13 pm

I don't like those old games the graphics are crap.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:15 pm

djcarlos wrote:I don't like those old games the graphics are crap.
:shock: :? :lol:

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:27 pm

the 3D versions of Gta are crap!
Apart from the music/radio stations there's nothing good about these games

Rockstar should have stuck with 2D - well the original game anyway & the London add-on pack

Also all Sonic games after 2 - they've been messing about trying different ideas to try and emulate the first 2 games using guns and fancy graphics. They can't accept that they had it spot on first (or rather second) time
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

HalcyonDaze

Post by HalcyonDaze » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:14 pm

FIFA - Not even close to the awesome PES, cannot understand how it still sells so well.

Gran Turismo - pretty much a digital car mag, only much less fun and 10x more expensive.

Metal Gear Solid - almost as boring as Gran Turismo, Zzzzzzzzzz.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:18 pm

Pro Evo is overrated tosh.

DrBlue

Post by DrBlue » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:41 pm

MUDs. Multi User Dungeons. The epitomy of rubbish.
Steady now, where would all us Uber nerds go if there were no MUDs. We're frightened of pubs.

Zelda and FF are two franchises where a couple of games have really stood out and amazed me but further games try to be the dreaded 'same but different'. FFVI and FFVII were awesome because of their apocalyptic storylines and (especially VII) sci-fi and cyberpunk overtones. Yet Square continue to release Dungeons and Dragons-esque sequels. Wake up Square, why do you think VII was so popular?

Up until the Wind Waker, the Zelda games were my favourite games ever. Yet WW tried to introduce too many new items and elements which was carried over into The Minnish Cap and Twilight Princess. They were okay, but to me Zelda is all about the developers crafting games out of rigid bedrock. I just want to control a green clad elven boy with a sword, shield, jumpy boots, flippers and hook thingy; i really don't want to be wafting things with a giant leaf and turning into a wolf. It wasn't broken yet you fixed it. Why?

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:09 pm

There was a similar thread to this a while back, and I said this:
Splinter Cell games - Walk around at a dull pace pressing the 'use' key to complete a level. Don't do anything fun.
Halo series - Overrated by console-exclusive people who've never played a proper FPS before.
Resident Evil Series - Control system sucks as has been mentioned, ruins anything else the game has to offer. Plus, the early ones had ridiculous loading times.
GTA San Andreas - Gave this a huge chance since I loved the other GTA games (especially VC), but it really didn't grab me at all. Perhaps I'm just bored of the format.
Tomb Raider series - Never had the patience for these.
Final Fight - A new one to my list. Bland, limited and yet adored by a whole host of people for some reason. Has aged horribly.
Metal Slug series - I really enjoyed the debut Metal Slug game the first couple of times I had a go in the arcade, but after giving it some more time in more recent years, I really cannot stand playing any of them. The firing system would have worked much better with an 8-way control system, but this was never implemented, and the bonus system is akin to Capcom's ridiculous randomisation fetish they chuck in to most of their games.
Final Fantasy series - Tried to play a few of these in the past, ultimately got bored of pressing a single button for the majority of the playtime. Some people seem to go waaay OTT about the storylines in these too, although granted, I haven't played them enough to 'appreciate' them. However, no game has ever put me in the state I've seen some get into over this series.

spc

Post by spc » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:45 pm

Pro evo on any console is over convoluted dribble when compared to the in depth genius that is ISS on the snes(this has nothing to do with me being useless at it, when I say nothing I may mean everything).

Oh and all 2D Mario platformers are/were inferior to the Donkey Kong(Rare) series.

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:15 pm

All games that aren't on the Nikyo FunCentre (Super Plus 16) are total rubbish.

...am I doing this right?

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:33 pm

Gran Turismo is the most over-rated game I've ever played, besides Halo.
真・豪鬼

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:50 am

rupert wrote:Hate all RPG's, ive really tried hard to enjoy them but there just sooo boring (much like those crappy lord of the rings films, they go in the same pigeon hole of dullness for me)
I agree with you about the RPG's - I've always hated RPG's even though I've tried to like 'em. All my mates are into RPG's so I thought it was just me being stubborn ...... but it isn't ...... they're just crap!

will2097

Post by will2097 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:39 am

DrBlue wrote:
MUDs. Multi User Dungeons. The epitomy of rubbish.
Steady now, where would all us Uber nerds go if there were no MUDs. We're frightened of pubs.
NO! ..and describe unto me 'uber nerd'...

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:56 am

Um, the thread is "post your views". A lot of people seem to post <insert popular game> is censored, just to be "funny".
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com