So, I have owened a Nintendo Wii for a month now............

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:32 pm

will2097 wrote:
Opa-Opa wrote:
Dudley wrote:Oh the wii looks gorgeous through component in 480P EDTV. but it's not the console you buy an HDTV set for that's for sure.
I agree - It's the console you buy games for...
woah - just a minute there. It has games? Oh you mean the VC :-P
You misunderstood his post.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

will2097

Post by will2097 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:58 pm

...how do you know... :idea:

Rosetinted Gamer

Post by Rosetinted Gamer » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:19 pm

Opa-Opa wrote: If all your worried about is how shiney everything looks go buy yourself a PS3 and another bunch of great looking, boring playing re-hashed tat and leave the gaming to people who can see beyond the pretty pictures....
While thats true of the PS3 the Wii isn't exactly filled to the brim with top games at the moment either, 90% of the games available for it also fall under the banner of 'boring, re-hashed tat'.

I also don't think there's any reason to be so agressive to other users either, mate. Chill out.

Again, why has yet another non-retro thread made its way in here? This isn't gamesTM this is RETRO GAMER.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:33 pm

Rosetinted Gamer wrote:
Opa-Opa wrote: If all your worried about is how shiney everything looks go buy yourself a PS3 and another bunch of great looking, boring playing re-hashed tat and leave the gaming to people who can see beyond the pretty pictures....
While thats true of the PS3 the Wii isn't exactly filled to the brim with top games at the moment either, 90% of the games available for it also fall under the banner of 'boring, re-hashed tat'.

I also don't think there's any reason to be so agressive to other users either, mate. Chill out.

Again, why has yet another non-retro thread made its way in here? This isn't gamesTM this is RETRO GAMER.
Opa can be an angry rabbit at times , but his bark his worse than his bite (I think!) - as long as you're not an Amstrad fan anyway....
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:41 pm

Agreed, though even as I am still tempted to get a wii, the lack of anything really beyond wii sports and zelda and perhaps wario ware doesn't get me excited. Having said that, consoles rarely have a brilliant line up in their first year and PS3 has even less as far as i'm concerned.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:08 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote:

Agreed, though even as I am still tempted to get a wii, the lack of anything really beyond wii sports and zelda and perhaps wario ware doesn't get me excited. Having said that, consoles rarely have a brilliant line up in their first year and PS3 has even less as far as i'm concerned.
If it's going to get a lot of multi player use. Do it. Do it now.

Otherwise, yes.

kiniki

Post by kiniki » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:14 am

My main concern for the Wii is that very few of the games give you a normal controller option.

For games like TW07 or Excite Truck, it would not of been that hard to include the option of playing with a classic/gamecube controller. Then people have a choice of how to play it.

certainly some games are improved greatly but the remote. Any type of game where you need a pointer its perfect for. RTS games in particular. Which is where the Wii is in a key position to beat it rivals.

But what Nintendo and its developers need to remember is that not every game "must" have motion sensing controls. I personally wouldn't like to play Pro Evo with a remote.

They can rectify this problem easily but just including a classic/gc controller option in the games. Then the Wii can be played like any other console. Whilst I know the point of the Wii is to be different, it doesn't hurt to add in these controls in order to satisfy the larger market. Then people can make a choice for themselves about how they want to play.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:22 am

Can we not just have configurable controls? Let me decide if I want to bind an action to a button, the nunchuk analogue stick, a gesture or a GC/Classic control. Everyone's a winner then.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:02 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Can we not just have configurable controls? Let me decide if I want to bind an action to a button, the nunchuk analogue stick, a gesture or a GC/Classic control. Everyone's a winner then.
Believe me, don't start that arguement. You are of course right, in fact it should be a certification requirement.

But when I did I was told that I should "play the game how the developer wants me to play it" when I said I wanted to map the gear change buttons on my sims to all be the same pair of buttons.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:48 am

Metal Slug Anthology is well worth picking up. Only £17.99 delivered from www.play.com

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:05 am

Well, now that I have the PS3 I think I will flog the Wii - I really enjoyed Res Evil and Rayman but the novelty has worn off and I find a lot of the games a bit childish (may regret it when Mario Kart comes out though!)

So, how much should I sell this little lot for then?

Wii Console
2 x Remote Control & 2 x Numchuk
Component Video Cable
Resident Evil 4
Wii Sports
Wii Play
Big Brain Academy
Wario Ware Smooth Moves
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Gamecube - Wavebird Wireless Controller
Gamecube - Wired Controller
Gamecube - Memory Card
Gamecube - Mario Kart Double Dash
Gamecube - Pikmin
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

goldenone

Post by goldenone » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:06 am

My Wii doesn't get that much use either.

Games i'd recommend would be: Kororinpa, Resident evil 4, Excite Truck & Trauma Centre.

kiniki

Post by kiniki » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:06 am

goldenone wrote:My Wii doesn't get that much use either.

Games i'd recommend would be: Kororinpa, Resident evil 4, Excite Truck & Trauma Centre.
Surely Super Monkey Ball is preferable over Kororinpa?

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:57 am

Bub&Bob wrote:
Opa-Opa wrote:Maybe thats why you don't like it, it's too close to the real thing and you just wanted to sit on the sofa in your pants pressing buttons rather than putting any effort into it..?
paranoid marvin wrote:Opa can be an angry rabbit at times , but his bark his worse than his bite (I think!) - as long as you're not an Amstrad fan anyway....
BTW - I can live with unprovoked abuse, however TW on the Wii is not close to the real thing. If I wan't the real thing I will play the real thing. But I don't. I want to play video games which I think are fun and TW on the Wii is not much fun for me.
I wasn't being abusive, I was asking the question.
Do you find it less fun because you have to stand around, swinging your arms in the air and put more effort into playing it than you would the boring button pushing only versions TW or do you dislike it for some other reason..?

I think it's a great game on the other consoles, I have been playing EA's golf games since PGA tour on the Megadrive but for me having to play the game with the new control system makes it even better, even more so if you and a group of friends are playing.
Unlike the normal versions where you can pretty much copy each others shots with a couple of button presses the Wii version means it is nearly impossible to pull off an identical shot because the way everybody swings is always going to be slighty different. Leftys have to make their player knowing that they are cack handed and need to compensate for that, another thing that don't matter if you are just pushing buttons.

As for my bark being worse than my bite, your probley right....

Just watch out for the sword ;)

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:55 pm

For games like TW07 or Excite Truck, it would not of been that hard to include the option of playing with a classic/gamecube controller. Then people have a choice of how to play it.
For TW07, i agree.

For Excite Truck, i feel that the control mechanism is integral to the game. Controlling you jumps, and landings would be much more difficult using a more 'traditional' control method, and it makes drifting more difficult (which, IMHO, make sit much more satisfying to get a 'Super Drift').
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb