So, I have owened a Nintendo Wii for a month now............

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:28 am

Mootown wrote:It's all about Wii Fit next year. Believe.
Absolutely, it's a must buy for me. That's exactly the kind of thing they should be doing with it.
Ok it is just a PS2 port, and the controls take getting used to, but it is still fun to play
Oh absolutely (and I meant wobbly in the "wobbling a remote about" sense, not a "dodgy" sense). But if that's the best you can do "Bringing gaming to a new audience" just isn't happening.

I thought at first the wii would be everyone's 2nd console. I stand by that. It's a massively superb party console that everyone of every gender and age can get behind. However, for the game enthusiast in single player there is, to be quite blunt, ("Duck" - Ed) all to play on the thing, especially as it's so much more effort that a normal system.

Everyone with friends should absolutely have one. But I simply don't feel it competes for solo gaming with the traditional consoles, although at least on a temporary basis, the 2 mario platformers and Metroid will help.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:08 am

I agree that it's more of a "party" console than its Sony/Microsoft rivals, I think it needs a big injection of famous titles to make appeal more to the masses. Despite all of this, everywhere within 25 miles of where I live was sold out of Wii consoles until June/July. Wii Fit sounds good, I wasn't aware of that coming out, but it sounds like one for me.

Driver PL should've made controlling easier, for instance turning the remote on its side to make it like a steering wheel (one of the "bosses" in Wario uses this technique) would've made it better. All in all, it's a good game, but it doesn't exactly "bring gaming to a new audience", it kinda feels like a watered-down version of Grand Theft Auto.
Fight the good fight of faith,
Lay hold on Eternal life.

-1 Timothy 6:12-

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:12 pm

sonic91 wrote:I agree that it's more of a "party" console than its Sony/Microsoft rivals, I think it needs a big injection of famous titles to make appeal more to the masses. Despite all of this, everywhere within 25 miles of where I live was sold out of Wii consoles until June/July.
Yeah but the software sales are distinctly iffy, I think a lot of people buy it as a Wii Sports machine, which is fair enough, and Nintendo still make a profit on that but means its "lead"is not what it might seem.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:41 pm

Dudley wrote:
sonic91 wrote:I agree that it's more of a "party" console than its Sony/Microsoft rivals, I think it needs a big injection of famous titles to make appeal more to the masses. Despite all of this, everywhere within 25 miles of where I live was sold out of Wii consoles until June/July.
Yeah but the software sales are distinctly iffy, I think a lot of people buy it as a Wii Sports machine, which is fair enough, and Nintendo still make a profit on that but means its "lead"is not what it might seem.
I don't think Nintendo have marketed it as an alternative console , more a machine to complement your PS2/PS3/360 . I think that is one of the reasons it has done so well

It wouldn't suprise me if a significant number of people have the console, Wii Sports, and nothing else
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:35 pm

Well in Jan - June 2007 it outsold PS3 software by 60%

Which sounds ok except the Wii currently outsells the PS3 as a machine by 6:1.

And the PS3 was only out for half that period.

And hillariously Nintendo get to count Wii Play (a game with a remote, for the same price as a remote) as a software sale.

So it's REALLY not good. I'm hoping Paper Mario (when it finally comes out 6 months late) and Galaxy will address that a little.

--

Speaking personally I got the machine for free and yet I still only own Excite Truck (which I can't help feel would be a better game with normal controls) and Wii Play.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:47 pm

I still think that Nintendo were extraordinarily generous (almost to the point of stupidity) for giving Wii Sports free with the console , especially when you consider how relatively inexpensive the machine was in the first place. Even sold at a budget price of £20 , Nintendo would have made a ton of cash , and probably had a game at the top of the all-formats chart for some time
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:07 pm

Dudley wrote:I think a lot of people buy it as a Wii Sports machine, which is fair enough, and Nintendo still make a profit on that but means its "lead"is not what it might seem.
Well said. And to go slightly off topic here, I can easily say something similar about The Simpsons Movie. :wink:

Anyway, I think the reason the Wii is such a big sellar is because of the unique way of controlling. If the PS3/360 had a motion sensitive controller with fitness games, etc. then they would see sales shooting sky-high. Nintendo have really come out with a mark of genius with the wii remote, a fresh way of playing and certainly a great way to restore reputation for home consoles after Sony and Microsoft trounced the Gamecube.
Fight the good fight of faith,
Lay hold on Eternal life.

-1 Timothy 6:12-

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:25 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:I still think that Nintendo were extraordinarily generous (almost to the point of stupidity) for giving Wii Sports free with the console , especially when you consider how relatively inexpensive the machine was in the first place. Even sold at a budget price of £20 , Nintendo would have made a ton of cash , and probably had a game at the top of the all-formats chart for some time
Possibly, but on the flipside, Wii Sports is hardly cutting-edge with regard to development, so probably didn't cost much in that respect.

Plus, it's one of the reasons why so many people are hankering after the console. I can tell you now that if they'd released it standalone and people were getting different games for Christmas (especially the 'too cartoony' brigade, who would probably have been out buying Red Steel or something), then there wouldn't be half the interest that it has now. I think packaging the Wii with something as accessible as Wii Sports did wonders for the console.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:55 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:I still think that Nintendo were extraordinarily generous (almost to the point of stupidity) for giving Wii Sports free with the console , especially when you consider how relatively inexpensive the machine was in the first place. Even sold at a budget price of £20 , Nintendo would have made a ton of cash , and probably had a game at the top of the all-formats chart for some time
True, but would the machine have sold with "You can do this with it?"

I don't think it would.
Anyway, I think the reason the Wii is such a big sellar is because of the unique way of controlling. If the PS3/360 had a motion sensitive controller with fitness games, etc. then they would see sales shooting sky-high. Nintendo have really come out with a mark of genius with the wii remote, a fresh way of playing and certainly a great way to restore reputation for home consoles after Sony and Microsoft trounced the Gamecube
Which course also represents a weakness. Unlike the DS, the "gimmick" of the Wii IS copyable.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:06 pm

It would cost very little to add a touch screen overlay to PSP...
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:33 pm

Dudley wrote:
True, but would the machine have sold with "You can do this with it?"

I don't think it would.
Anyway, I think the reason the Wii is such a big sellar is because of the unique way of controlling. If the PS3/360 had a motion sensitive controller with fitness games, etc. then they would see sales shooting sky-high. Nintendo have really come out with a mark of genius with the wii remote, a fresh way of playing and certainly a great way to restore reputation for home consoles after Sony and Microsoft trounced the Gamecube
Which course also represents a weakness. Unlike the DS, the "gimmick" of the Wii IS copyable.
Well , Nintendo's home consoles up until the Wii ,have basically been sold on the basis that ' you can play Zelda and Mario with this machine' -but they didn't come bundled with those titles (to start with anyway)

When the N64 came out , I think pretty much everyone who bought one on launch day also picked up a copy of Mario 64 - presumably there would have been a bigger profit margin on the game than on the console itself?

Converseley,I would imagine that because the architecture of the Wii is so similar to the GC that Nintendo may have felt that there was a big enough profit margin on the console itself to warrant giving Wii Sports free?

Tbh motion sensor device could probably just as easily have been designed for the GC. Probably the first time a new console has been designed around a controller
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:56 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:
gmintyfresh wrote:Without question Zelda, it's bloody amazing!!
good too, very quick and the controls work wonderfully.
The last RPG I played was Times of Lore on the C64 - Will I be able to pick up and play or will it just confuse the f**k out of me?
Haha, Times of Lore, I remember that one. I spent so much time trying to get a copy for my Amiga, but only managed to do so now many years later thanks to the internet. Unfortunately, I wasn't as impressed with the game now as I was back then.

That said, Zelda is rpg-lite compared to Times of Lore.

Post by * » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:08 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:It would cost very little to add a touch screen overlay to PSP...
Why bother? :?

davrho

Post by davrho » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:48 pm

Some bizzare posts here. Tiger Woods is nothing like golf. If anyone believes this simulation is close to the real thing then i would doubt if they have ever been on a golf course.
Also the wii fit. Am i the only person who feels like an idiot dancing about in front of the tv. Games are to relax and enjoy. I dont need a wii to get fit. This release will not impress me
As i have said before the wii lies in a cupboard unused. The last game i bought for it was wii strikers and it lasted 2 days. The kids tired of it very quickly to.
The novelty has gone.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:38 am

I've had a Wii for a month, and to be honest, and thing is I knew I would be, but it's under-whelming. Wii sports is a lot of fun. I prefer the baseball game personally. The tennis game and the golf game are OKish. The bowling however is brilliant as is, like I say, the Baseball.

and as for thr VC, well it's good, but only for looking at on the website and then scurrying off upstairs to play on the PC with a joypad and MAME.

but you know what? I knew it, I F**kin' knew it. I knew I would be disappointed. Why I let myself, again, get brow beat into buying another Ninty product defies logic. It's precisely the same feeling I had with the N64 and the all-hail-the-DS but not the GC, I like my GC but only for RE4 and Ikuraga. Weird.

...as soon as Microsoft make a 360 that doesn't implode, while sounding like an F15 I'll get one of those. Hmmm PGR, Dead Rising, Forza. Hmmm. I am looking forward to those. Maybe even GoW who knows...