So, I have owened a Nintendo Wii for a month now............

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:39 am

Another recommendation for ExciteTruck here.
Splink!

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:39 am

Sureshot wrote:You did have to go for the 'kiddie-themed games' argument, didn't you...
I couldn't resist. :wink:
真・豪鬼

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:39 am

Bub&Bob wrote: Interesting view, am starting to think that way too. Tiger Woods is one of my fav games and thought it utter poop on the Wii.
You having a laugh..?

TW07 on the Wii is fantastic, easy one the best golf games ever made.
The controls work a treat and having to swing at the ball beats any button pushing pad version by a mile.

The putting takes a little bit of getting used too, but this has to be the closest you can get to playing real golf without having to go outside....

Maybe thats why you don't like it, it's too close to the real thing and you just wanted to sit on the sofa in your pants pressing buttons rather than putting any effort into it..?

If EA can iron out a couple of the games small flaws for the next release then they will have the best golf game ever made, but 07 is far from utter poop on the Wii..

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:56 am

Shin_Gouki wrote:Sell it and invest in some classic titles - the Wii is a lost cause :wink:
Even though I own one, I know what you're saying - I think the 360's catalogue is far superior, but it has been out waaaay longer. But saying that, I think there's plenty to go at. If anybody's complaining about lack of decent titles for the Wii, they need to get out more - I just have 2-3 Wii games at a time, and trade them in when I'm done against new titles, and I've found plenty to keep me busy. I just don't spend 70 hours a week on it.
As for the controls - I think this needs to settle down. A few good games have been spoilt by gimmicky controls (except SSX Blur - which was RUINED), while others (Excite truck, Sports) work brilliantly.
Also, nobody's mentioned the GC back catalogue for it either - lots of (marginally overpriced) used games out there that are very good for anyone that never had a GC first time around (like me).

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:44 am

Opa-Opa wrote: Maybe thats why you don't like it, it's too close to the real thing and you just wanted to sit on the sofa in your pants pressing buttons rather than putting any effort into it..?
I haven't played it yet but this was my theory given the massively disparate opinions of it.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:54 am

I've had my Wii since April and I'm still playing Sports, Tennis in particular.

Not so much else around excites me. I finished Call of Duty 3 and had fun with that shooting Germans for a couple of weeks. Just finished RE4 for the first time, but its Sports more than anything that goes on. Mrs Ant took to the bowling too.

Not got Tiger Woods yet, been holding off so I get max entertainment from my other games and been filling gaps with my old Cube stuff that hadn't been played.

I really want a more detailed tennis game though. Is there any news of a full game, perhaps a Virtua?
I've heard vague mentions of Rockstar's Table Tennis getting a port, is there more info on that? It could fill the void.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:56 pm

Dudley wrote:
I haven't played it yet but this was my theory given the massively disparate opinions of it.
When I first played it I was a little disappointed, I thought that it would work like the golf on Wii sports and it took me a while to get used to how to swing without the ball going off at some crazy angle.
After a few goes I worked out if you look at the screen as you take your shoot your going to mess up and now I place something on the floor (normaly a coin) and "aim" for that. It also helps if you think of the Wiimote as a club and hold it like a club.
I guess it is like real golf in that the first few times you swing at the ball your not going to belt it 300yds stright down the middle, it takes effort and a bit of practise to get the best from TW07.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:08 pm

Which is EXACTLY what me (and my golf mad parents) are looking for after a semi-successful game of Wii Sports golf.

Superb, probably have to pick this up.

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:16 pm

Get Driver:Parallel Lines. That's my newest aquisition for the Wii and I can't stop playing it.
Fight the good fight of faith,
Lay hold on Eternal life.

-1 Timothy 6:12-

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:48 pm

Yeah but that's just a PS2 port with wobbly controls.

Not very "Future of gaming" is it?

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:53 pm

It's all about Wii Fit next year. Believe.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:26 pm

Yes! Wii Fit is top of the 'I want list'!! I need to lose weight!

Anyway, what do me and the family play the most........

The kids still love Warioware (and I do) its silly but fun!

Golf I here you say......

PANGYA! - got it on release day and still play it 2 -3 times a week! Its a great fun game of golf with errm little Japanese girls in short skirts hitting balls ........( I'll stop there) :shock: :?

Wii Sports is still fantastic and addictive after all this time.

I want the Wii Zapper also! That looks like it could be pretty cool, esp. with Resi Wii-vle........

:roll:

Ryuranger

Post by Ryuranger » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:45 pm

My Wii is boxed up, the Gimmick washes away Quickly, I mean I liked Twilight Princess alot but once you've beaten the game theres not much Replay Value after that.

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:27 pm

I imported my Wii from Canada with Mario Party 8 & Pokemon Battle Revolution. If you love Pokemon it's great to just switch on the Wii & find a random battle anytime you want.

I've only downloaded Mario 64 & Paper Mario. FINALLY I can play Mario 64 without that crappy N64 controller... sorry to all of those people who actually like the thing, but I'd rather play N64 games with a Gamecube controller. I'm surprised there was no 3rd party adapter released that allowed you to do that...

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:31 am

Dudley wrote:Yeah but that's just a PS2 port with wobbly controls.

Not very "Future of gaming" is it?
Ok it is just a PS2 port, and the controls take getting used to, but it is still fun to play.
Fight the good fight of faith,
Lay hold on Eternal life.

-1 Timothy 6:12-