Is it just me...? Games only I seem to appreciate

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

K-J N.

Post by K-J N. » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:18 pm

Magnetron (C64), doesn't get mentioned a lot, Zzap gave it a rather average review, I liked it though.

Hot Pop (C64), not a very well known game, had it on a turbotape. 100 levels + a level editor, has a nice "early Famicom" feel to it (actually there is a Famicom version of it called Nuts & Milk). I have never seen an original of it though, does anyone have it?

Szczepaniak

Post by Szczepaniak » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:41 pm

Crikey! I had Milk and Nuts on the Famicom as a kid (or was it Nuts and Milk?).

Never knew there was a C64 version.

You learn something new everyday.

kaiserpc

Post by kaiserpc » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:01 am

MilkRace (c64) loved this, got an average review - but then I am a cyclist

Fist II (c64) - again average review - loved it, never finished it though (due to some bug I think)

Kaiser (c64) - go on then has anyone heard of this? (see my website for more info www.kaiserpc.co.uk). Spent loads of time with my mates playing this great strategy / war game

Sorcererlord (c64) - got a great review by zzap, but nobody has heard of it (go on prove me wrong). Think LOTR type universe and turn based war game. Again spent many a hour playing this excellent game. Unfortunately a bug in the combat (that made it onto all versions - speccy, cpc, c64, ST, Amiga and PC) made it nearly impossible to complete

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:28 am

kaiserpc wrote:
Fist II (c64) - again average review - loved it, never finished it though (due to some bug I think)
I loved this game too. I got stuck, despite visiting all the rooms I could find. I think I had to knock down a tree to use it as a bridge, but I could never find the scroll that let me do things like that - unless (as you say) it was bugged.

lavalyte

Post by lavalyte » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:20 pm

The Bitmap Bros' "Cadaver". For some reason I loved it and it's basically the only graphical adventure I've ever really completed and mastered. I ended up writing a walkthrough for it, which took months on and off.
'I have nothing but the greatest respect for other peoples' crackpot beliefs' - Sam The Eagle.

I-Ball

Re:

Post by I-Ball » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:42 am

The Last Ginja wrote:Cliffhanger-C64-Now there was a game.

As Cliff or his brother Coat(I kid u not)Hanger, use the Acme equipment to squash your enemy El Bandito!!

If this was a game begging to be a RoadRunner licence this was it.

Very basic graphics, control not all that precise, but it kept me glued to the screen for hours!

Anyone else remember this?
Yeah, used to love that. Got really hard once you got to the second set of screens though.

Also loved the Ocean Transformers game for some reason I can't quite remember. Played a lot of Super Soccer on the Spectrum, Cyberdyne Warrior on C64 and to this day still LOVE Tron: Deadly Discs on Intellivision.

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:51 am

I-Ball wrote:Also loved the Ocean Transformers game for some reason I can't quite remember.
I played that to death, too, but then I was a Transformers nut when the game came out. On reflection, that game was absolutely hopeless, with stupidly twitchy controls.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Get_in_Gear

Re:

Post by Get_in_Gear » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:37 am

CraigGrannell wrote:I played that to death, too, but then I was a Transformers nut when the game came out. On reflection, that game was absolutely hopeless, with stupidly twitchy controls.
I agree - it was bad, but you couldn't help persevering for the Transformers connection.
Thundercats was an altogether more enjoyable game.

But my strange obsession was with Phantom Club on the Speccy.
Never completed it, but I spent a lot of time playing the darn thing, despite it getting pretty poor reviews if I recall correctly...

R Tape loading error, 0:1

[+[_]::]

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:52 pm

I loved Booty on the speccy
Great music (for a speccy) great loading screen,great game
And only £1.99!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:16 pm

Get_in_Gear wrote:
CraigGrannell wrote:But my strange obsession was with Phantom Club on the Speccy.
Never completed it, but I spent a lot of time playing the darn thing, despite it getting pretty poor reviews if I recall correctly...
Reminds me of Movie. Played that loads but never quite finished it. Might just hunt that down for my PSP...
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Hungry Horace

Post by Hungry Horace » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:36 am

I have an uncanny obsession with Atlantis' Sarlmoor, from 1986 (as my Xbox Live gamertag may testify). It's a dreadful Speccy game, with 4 screens and a protagonist who resembles a suspect Batman knock off, but I am enthralled by it.

The variation of the levels is superb, and the narrative of the game is sombre and well composed; with various death screens featuring such phrases as 'You feel such pain' and levels named 'Dawn of the surface lizards' and 'Cavern of the floating deathmasks'.

If you get the chance, pop it on an emulator and see what you think.

Get your own Gamercard Sig.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Thu May 10, 2007 6:24 am

Has to be Shinobi on the Master System, I don't know why it just feels right to me and rewarding. I seriously have at least 1 solid session on it a month

Tapey297

Post by Tapey297 » Thu May 10, 2007 6:37 am

Despite very mediocre reviews I absolutely loved Ivan Iron man Stewarts super off road racer on the C64.

I also loved Zybex to death it was great in one player but immense fun as a two player (also on c64).

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Thu May 10, 2007 7:11 am

kaiserpc wrote:MilkRace (c64) loved this, got an average review - but then I am a cyclist
I liked this too. It wasn't great, but OK. You don't see many cycling games do you?

Airborne Ranger (Microprose, C64) It purported to put you in the role of a US Army Airborne Ranger taking on various missions behind enemy lines.

In reality it was the same thing over and over again: Crawl around in trenches and bunkers, shoot a few soldiers, blow up foxholes or equipment and get out. It was repetetive but fun.

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Fri May 11, 2007 9:23 am

Evolution on the DC. I think this is a very underrated game. Maybe it was not received too well because for the ardent RPG player there were no random battles, the battle system was very simple even I could pick it up in no time & in just over 20 hours it could be completed. Nice graphics, storyline, background music & sounds. It appealed to me because I haven't got a great deal of patience for the likes of Final Fantasy or other games made for the RPG nutter.