Is it just me...? Games only I seem to appreciate

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Quaid

Is it just me...? Games only I seem to appreciate

Post by Quaid » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:03 pm

For starters...

Rollercoaster (Spectrum)

Law of the West (C64)

Psi5 Trading Company (C64)

Rocketball (C64)[/i]

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:19 pm

I'm sure there must be a few Roller Coaster fans here...

For me it's Thunder Force III. Everyone goes mad for the sequel, but I'd take the third part of the trilogy any day of the proverbial week...

Ash

Post by Ash » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:40 pm

Thunder Force II is cool, I never really "got" Thunder Force II though.

As for myself, nobody seems tolike the games that I do...but then my friends are all XBOX loving, retro haters.

andy vaisey

Post by andy vaisey » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:42 pm

I appreciate what Law of the West tried to do. It is quite "interactive" for it's time, with your decisions and responses affecting future scenarios. The only problem is its length. After a quite a few plays you exhaust its repertoire; to be honest, if I had bought it at the time I would have felt pretty short changed.

A game only I seemed to appreciate? I loved the original V-Rally on PS1, when everyone else and his dog ranted on about Ridge Racer...
Last edited by andy vaisey on Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:43 pm

Although I don't think its anywhere near excellent (or even very good!), Bionic Granny (Mastertronic - C64) isn't the worst game ever that is bestowed upon it...in my opinion*.

* I know Craig hates it!

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:51 pm

Law of the West was nicely done indeed, an innovative idea for the time when you could take such chances.

Szczepaniak

Post by Szczepaniak » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:17 pm

Too many to list... So I'm going to give blanket coverage and say that I love the FMV genre. All FMV games, especially the badly acted ones with low production values.

It's like eating a dodgy kebab sold to you by a guy running a stall, who looks like a hobo. You know it's bad for you, and yet with chilli sauce it tastes damn fine! ;)

I've actually tried to acquire as many FMV games as possible, sadly though my quest will be a long arduous one. Some of the later 3DO FMV titles are quite rare.

And yet... No one else seems to like FMV games.

Sometimes though, I find that even though the general public have a low opinion of some titles, they actually turn out to be excellent, and it's only due to few people having played them that they get a bad rep.

Fandenivoldsk

Post by Fandenivoldsk » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:33 pm

Law of the West was a very good game, but I couldn't help shooting at each and everyone in the game, even if I wasn't supposed to, so I never completed the game. Maybe now that I'm older and wiser I should have another go at the game. :?

I always liked Los Angeles SWAT from Mastertronic on the c64, although it didn't get very good reviews back then... anyone else here who likes it?

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:50 pm

LeeT wrote:Although I don't think its anywhere near excellent (or even very good!), Bionic Granny (Mastertronic - C64) isn't the worst game ever that is bestowed upon it...in my opinion*.
* I know Craig hates it!
It's one of those games you can stare wide-eyed in amazement at, followed by a rapid smashing to pieces of any rose-tinted spectacles you might have hanging around the place. Apart from VERY short-lived comedy value, Bionic Granny has no redeeming qualities whatsoever, and while it may not be the worst (commercially released) game to date, it's got to be in the running.

As for those games at the start of the thread, I used to enjoy Law of the West. I also persevered with (rather than enjoyed) Rocketball. Perversely, it was practically the only game I found just as challenging if I played a two-player game on my own (only controlling one side, obviously).

L.A. S.W.A.T. was also good for whiling away an hour or so back in the day, and was reasonably good value for two quid.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

merman

Post by merman » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:27 pm

Rocketball - best played with two players, but yes I like it

Psi 5 - CLASSIC! Wasted many hours trying to stop the pirates boarding. Played it on tape initially, then bought it again on disk recently

Law of the West - too repetitive, probably too ambitious for the machine

Thunder Force III - good, but still prefer IV

LA Swat - that awful tune on the C64 puts me off

andy vaisey

Re:

Post by andy vaisey » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:38 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:L.A. S.W.A.T. was also good for whiling away an hour or so back in the day, and was reasonably good value for two quid.
Agreed! But I also agree with merman, about the grating tune! I often just turned the speakers down and played something on the stereo. :P

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:10 pm

Thunder Force III - good, but still prefer IV
Agreed!

Psi 5=C R AP! IMHO.

came out about the same time as Time Tunnel, which I bought on a mates recommendation and not reviews! As is Fight Night ! I may be waffling at the mo but I'm drunk.....

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:25 pm

Have to agree with the FMV games loved em all, especially Ground Zero Texas 3DO and Road Avenger MCD.

I found I Robot a hard sell to others. I have never met anyone else who loved Shaolin Road like i did, bizarre platform/beat em up hybrid, great fun and a very skillfull game
Just where is Mickey T?

Hungry Horace

Post by Hungry Horace » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:22 am

I always had a soft spot for the hilariously bad Rise of the Robots. There was something about the one-move combat and overall air of 'complete crap' that won me over.

Sticking with the Amiga, whilst I enjoyed the 'greats' such as Monkey Island, etc, it was the 'poor cousin' adventure games that really grabbed me for trying to be different. The Gobliins titles were superb (albeit French and therefore disturbed) and I loved Dark Seed, despite the migraine-inducing graphics.

And the very mediocre Mega Drive conversions of ESWAT and Ghostbusters. My friend brought round Streets of Rage 2 and I was happier to play these drab-yet-compelling platform games.
Get your own Gamercard Sig.

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:24 pm

For me it has to be Line of Fire, flip know why. It's not up to much and yet very more-ish.

<shows old age> Test Match on the Speccy was one of the games bundled with it when it was purchased from Rumblelows. It's in BASIC and not overly complex even for its time, but I love it and one day I WILL score a century! :mrgreen:
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"