The 8 Bit tech comparison Thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

matt

Post by matt » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:14 pm

i think the CPC was pretty good, technically.

C64 had better sound, but the CPC felt more like a real computer, via CP/M, etc.
I'm Matt, I'm a British geek living in Boston... working on free music at http://libre.fm

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:16 pm

matt wrote:i think the CPC was pretty good, technically.

C64 had better sound, but the CPC felt more like a real computer, via CP/M, etc.
The CPC ruled in both the technical department and the visual department - even though it was good at the serious stuff (applications etc.) it was just as good (if not better) on the games front!

TMR

Post by TMR » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:50 pm

woody.cool wrote:The CPC ruled in both the technical department and the visual department
Actually, i'd have to disagree there despite liking the CPC and having defended it in the past; the design is flawed and in particular amount of memory it needs to generate the screen was a terrible design decision, especially considering it was being aimed at a home/games market. Putting a stock Z80 in there with nothing to help out is like standing a lone soldier in a battlefield and giving him a spoon.

The CPC needs 16K for screen RAM, the C64 needs 2K and has hardware assistance to move things around over that display too, the CPC was clocked at a little over double the speed of the C64 so there's a huge discrepancy there.
woody.cool wrote:it was just as good (if not better) on the games front!
Depends on the game, but more often than not it struggled because of that screen RAM or the vague resemblance to the Spectrum.

blakespot

Post by blakespot » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:00 pm

While I have a C64 setup presently, as well as a C-One, and a couple of 8-bit Atari's, it is the Apple II that I grew up with. How common was it over there in the UK?

The Apple II was generally lagging in gfx and sound over the course of its life as compared to the Commodore and Atari, but it felt like home to me.

Any other II users out there?

blakespot
:: Retro game list for iPhone & iPod touch at Touch Arcade
:: Byte Cellar - the vintage computing weblog

TMR

Post by TMR » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:00 am

blakespot wrote:While I have a C64 setup presently, as well as a C-One, and a couple of 8-bit Atari's, it is the Apple II that I grew up with. How common was it over there in the UK?
Pretty rare all considered, i think i've only ever seen one Apple ][ (at a local university in Kent and it was literally just the one) and never seen software support in shops or anything - even Mastertronic didn't do anything for it and they supported anything they could shift more than ten units of i think! =-)

emkay

Post by emkay » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:17 am

The Master wrote:The one with the censored graphics? ;)
*ducks*

That't the keyword.
Have you seen big Dog sh!t? It's brown, with some shiny green and yellow(white reflecting) on it.
I guess, the C64 can show this perfectly ;-)

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:49 am

Sadly the CPC cant :(

blakespot

Post by blakespot » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:14 am

TMR wrote:
blakespot wrote:While I have a C64 setup presently, as well as a C-One, and a couple of 8-bit Atari's, it is the Apple II that I grew up with. How common was it over there in the UK?
Pretty rare all considered, i think i've only ever seen one Apple ][ (at a local university in Kent and it was literally just the one) and never seen software support in shops or anything - even Mastertronic didn't do anything for it and they supported anything they could shift more than ten units of i think! =-)
I know the IIgs (which was trying for the Amiga and ST class niche) was used by folks in France. Some of the IIgs hacker groups are French. Not sure how widespread it was, tho.

blakespot

batman877

Post by batman877 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:46 am

I think threads like this really take the fun out of Retro gaming.

Only my opinion of course ...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:53 am

batman877 wrote:I think threads like this really take the fun out of Retro gaming.

You could not read it then.

Only my opinion of course ;)

Threads like this are fine. We have a diverse range of gamers, some programmers who like to get very technical.

This thread has its place, and its keeping the likes of the game comparison thread relatively understandable for the non-techies.

I'd be disappointed if there wasn't any discussion like this (though I don't follow much of it), for without it we'd be missing all those excellent homebrew titles.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:03 pm

batman877 wrote:I think threads like this really take the fun out of Retro gaming.

Eh?

This thread is very much needed. If the discussions move from the 8-bit comparison thread (on a tech side of things) then thats good news.

How can this take the fun out of retro though? I like to read the tech side of retro gaming and the puters that the games run on.

This thread should be a sticky up with the comparison one IMHO.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:29 pm

[quote="markopoloman"]This thread is very much needed.[/quote]

I agree. However when you look at the opening post, it's just taking the p**s.

Then, as no one understood a word of it, came the pointless Amstrad bashing ...

Tech talk is fine, but when people go to the extreme it stops becoming fun ...

Again, just sharing an opinion ...

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:33 pm

Yeah! the initial post was taking the pish - but now the Amturd bashing has stopped :roll: and discussions are taking place.............

blakespot

Post by blakespot » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:16 pm

I will say that for all the C64's and Atari 8-bit's graphical goodness, the Apple II version of one of my favorite games of all time, Conan: Hall of Volta, easly looks best.

:-)

blakespot

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:46 pm

BTW, how many bits do the ZX Spectrum use per pixel?