Doom Soundtrack on the Playstation

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

yethboth

Doom Soundtrack on the Playstation

Post by yethboth » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:47 am

Best soundtrack ever? Why could they have not used this soundtrack on the movie version of Doom?

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:05 am

Never mind the movie (which was censored), why couldn't they have had it on the recent XBLA game? The PC game had terrible music, that midi-rawk was awful, and ruins the atmosphere. The PS1 soundtrack genuinely added opression to it, and helped it be very scary.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:07 am

I always thought the soundtrack was rather ordinary...
真・豪鬼

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:40 am

I always turn the music off on Doom & Quake, it just ruins the atmosphere. Just give me the tense silence, broken by babies crying or grunts of nearby things.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

fordie020376

Post by fordie020376 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:48 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:I always turn the music off on Doom & Quake, it just ruins the atmosphere. Just give me the tense silence, broken by babies crying or grunts of nearby things.
The babies crying was one of the most haunting bit of any game ever :twisted:
Image ImageImage
Fordie

Grahame

Post by Grahame » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:56 am

Quake 2 soundtrack was good though.
I'd buy that for a dollar!

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:54 am

Smurph wrote:Never mind the movie (which was censored), why couldn't they have had it on the recent XBLA game? The PC game had terrible music, that midi-rawk was awful, and ruins the atmosphere. The PS1 soundtrack genuinely added opression to it, and helped it be very scary.

The PS1 soundtrack is one of the best soundtracks ever. The same goes for the Sega Saturn version. I can't understand however that although the Saturn version is a direct port of the Playstation version graphics and soundtrack wise, the gameplay itself on the Saturn version was a horrible mess by being slow and jerky. :cry: Does anyone know why?

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:59 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:I always turn the music off on Doom & Quake, it just ruins the atmosphere. Just give me the tense silence, broken by babies crying or grunts of nearby things.
There's only one way to play Doom - and that's SFX only - NO MUSIC.

Having the deadly silence broke by the enemies scream to their death and the grunt of enemies all around is what makes the experience much better.

The only thing I don't like about Doom is the fact that the player bobs up and down as he walks - I know this is supposed to be realistic and give the impression of walking - but after a 3 hour stint on Doom, I start to get motion sickness!

Rosetinted Gamer

Post by Rosetinted Gamer » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:18 pm

Has to be said that I rather enjoyed the haunting soundtrack of the Playstation version of Doom & Final Doom, as already pointed out it was far better than the frankly awful tunes on the PC version. As far as the game goes Doom still gives me the creeps, regardless of which version.