Worms

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:32 pm

But it really has just turned into "Team Worms" which is a shame since the series has very clearly run its course.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

The Master

Post by The Master » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:50 pm

Is the PSP version any good?

Ash

Post by Ash » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:52 am

Dudley wrote:But it really has just turned into "Team Worms" which is a shame since the series has very clearly run its course.
I disagree. The series has "run its course' about as much as Pro Evo and Fifa. It's a competitive game and each sequel adds valuable refinements and updates in much the same way as any sports game does. Outside observers may view them as needless sequels but those who play regularly appreciate a good update. The new PSP/DS game, for example, makes several new additions that really enhance the way the game plays. For fans, it is nowhere near running its course and I think that's reflected in the sales of the game. The XBLA one for example, broke even on day one and was, at one point, the most played game on Xbox Live, including Gears of War and Halo 2.

Oh and I'm sorry to bang on about this but they really aren't just "Team Worms" these days. Maybe that was true around the turn of the decade but in recent years they've made three Lemmings games and one Army Men game and they also have a top secret Unreal Engine game in the works.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:09 am

Ash wrote:Army Men game
It's debatable as to whether this series can be called 'games' ;)

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:17 am

Sureshot wrote:
Ash wrote:Army Men game
It's debatable as to whether this series can be called 'games' ;)

Why release an Army Men game - a series derided by most gamers , and ignore their 2nd best licence Alien Breed?
Makes no sense...
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:17 am

3 Lemmings games?

I make it 1. 2 if you count releasing on multiple formats as games.

If one of the 8 million army man games is the sum total of their achievements in 7 years, that's very sad.
or fans, it is nowhere near running its course and I think that's reflected in the sales of the game
You mean the 3d ones that were the most quickly discounted games I EVER saw in my time at GAME and Blockbuster?

Ash

Post by Ash » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:05 am

Dudley wrote:3 Lemmings games?

I make it 1. 2 if you count releasing on multiple formats as games.

If one of the 8 million army man games is the sum total of their achievements in 7 years, that's very sad.
or fans, it is nowhere near running its course and I think that's reflected in the sales of the game
You mean the 3d ones that were the most quickly discounted games I EVER saw in my time at GAME and Blockbuster?
No, I'm talking about the 2D ones, of course.

As for Lemmings, there was one on PSP, another on PS2, which added exclusive Eyetoy levels and a sequel on PSN, which was completely original.

Oh and Army Men? That game was made under contract for another publisher. It's the kind of thing indie devs have to do to survive these days, I'm afraid. I'm sure Team17 would jump at the chance to make an Alien Breed sequel if someone was willing to publish it.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:39 am

So a few homebrew levels counts as 3 games? That's pushing it a touch I feel.

Ash

Post by Ash » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:08 am

Dudley wrote:So a few homebrew levels counts as 3 games? That's pushing it a touch I feel.
The "homebrew" levels, as you put it, were in addition to all the other extras that were added. You've either never played Lemmings 2 (which is a completely new game with new levels, graphics and lemming types) or you're grasping for reasons to continue to be critical.

Celebaglar

Post by Celebaglar » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:24 am

Ash wrote:I disagree. The series has "run its course' about as much as Pro Evo and Fifa. It's a competitive game and each sequel adds valuable refinements and updates in much the same way as any sports game does.
I'd have to disagree. In some games constant improvements work and perfect the experience, in others it's flogging a dead horse and amounts to "just one more money-spinning release". For me, Worms falls into the latter category and I don't think I'll ever buy another game in that series for any platform. Even Civ is starting to fall into that category now.

Ash

Post by Ash » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:03 pm

Celebaglar wrote: I'd have to disagree. In some games constant improvements work and perfect the experience, in others it's flogging a dead horse and amounts to "just one more money-spinning release". For me, Worms falls into the latter category and I don't think I'll ever buy another game in that series for any platform. Even Civ is starting to fall into that category now.
You should give Open Warfare 2 a chance...at least try the demo. There are enough new weapons, plus internet play and loads of inventive single player modes, to make it more than just a 'money spinner'.

Maybe that's not enough for you but if you've ever liked the series at all in the past then it's worth at least trying.

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:48 am

Ash wrote:new weapons
That's the most tiring thing about all the worms sequels in my opinion. The weapons list just got too large and repetetive. That's something the XBLA version got right, it went back to basics with a small but focused weapons list.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:02 pm

The Penultimate Ninja wrote:
That's the most tiring thing about all the worms sequels in my opinion. The weapons list just got too large and repetetive. That's something the XBLA version got right, it went back to basics with a small but focused weapons list.
I agree - one of the best things about the original Worms was creative use of limited resources
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Ash

Post by Ash » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:40 pm

The Penultimate Ninja wrote:
You'll like W:OW2 then. There are new weapons but they're carefully balanced and there's nothing I'd describe as a 'comedy weapon'.

DrBlue

Post by DrBlue » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:42 pm

Heavy Stylus wrote:I'm still waiting for the next game in the Alien Breed series...
Actually there was a brand new Alien Breed game in the works (which was due to be released in 2004 for the PS2).

Heres the blurb from the wonderful 'I Want Fish' Alien Breed fansite (which is sadly no longer updated but can be found here http://iwantfish.gazchap.com/)
Alien Breed "2K4" revealed!

It seems that the guys over at Team17 haven't been resting on their laurels regarding the Alien Breed series after all!

Computer and Video Games have just published an article on the first look they've had of the new game, which will be coming out for PlayStation 2. Here's a quote:

Honour! From deep within the frigid depths of West Yorkshire come the shimmering might of the first ever shots of Alien Breed 2k4 on PS2. First appearing on Amiga in 1991 during the glory years of 16-bit gaming, top-down, arcade-action Alien Breed was an instant smash hit, amassing a zealous fan base and spawning several sequels.
Sadly the plug was pulled on this game (and Alien Breed:Conflict a FPS for the PC) for no apparent reason in 2005.