Dizzy

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Dizzy was better on...

The CPC
44%
The ST
56%

Total votes: 45

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:39 pm

Actually, I'll take no colour-clash over colour-clash any day of the week. Except Thursday afternoons.
matt wrote:C64 version

http://www.crystalfusion.co.uk/pics/c64dizzy.png - rubbish. worse than the CPC and spectrum.

Why do the colours always look like crap on C64 games?
I think it might be something to do with the fact that the c64 uses a YUV palette rather than RGB. I don't know the specifics, but I think it's something like: On an RGB display, it's harder to approximate how the original YUV palette looked when output via a PAL or an NTSC signal. So because we only find approximations in emulators, they tend to vary.

Then some guy nicknamed 'pepto' did a bunch of technical research about the way the c64 generates its colours, and came up with a very dark, murky palette that is supposed to be accurate and looks pretty good when displaying a bunch of still images found in demos but generally makes games look dull. I've often wondered if what he came up with would only really work properly in the case of outputting a PAL signal from the c64's RF modulator, because on a PC monitor, it generally looks like arse (to my eyes, anyway). Still, his technical info was enough to push his palette into a position where you'll often find it used in emulators.

Aaaanyway... here's how Treasure Island dizzy looks on the c64, according to gamebase64:

Yellow sand, white egg, no demon red-eyes, no colour-clash.
Last edited by Emperor Fossil on Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matt

Post by matt » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:54 pm

just completed it on an emulator.. really good.

i tell you one Dizzy game on the CPC that didn't look so hot..

Crystal Kingdom - they tried to make it colourful.
I'm Matt, I'm a British geek living in Boston... working on free music at http://libre.fm

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:10 am

RocketRanger wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote: Seriously, the Amstrad would be a lot better for just keeping things simple. Bright green is not a colour you use to shade a white object. Cyan you might get away with, but not green.
I disagree strongly, the CPC version was done first. They couldn't replicate the shading on the Speccy, and all you speccy users go "oh yes, its better without that obviously". I have no doubt that if the shading had been ADDED to the speccy version you would be sitting there going "oh yes, he's much better with shading".

I personally like the shading, it is exactly how Dizzy was supposed to look and made him stand out as a non-flat character in a cartoon world.
I've just asked Mrs Ant, who knows nothing of Speccys or CPCs or colour clash.She prefers the white egg, without any prompting.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:59 am

Thanks Mrs Ant :) Now with that issue settled, lets move on to the CPC vs Atari ST screenshot. Which one looks better? ;) I assume their playability is about the same on both version. I have only tried the CPC and PC versions

batman877

Post by batman877 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:44 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
I've just asked Mrs Ant, who knows nothing of Speccys or CPCs or colour clash.She prefers the white egg, without any prompting.
Does she like it when Dizzy walks in front of a tree and turns red??? :roll:

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:48 am

ivarf wrote:Thanks Mrs Ant :) Now with that issue settled, lets move on to the CPC vs Atari ST screenshot. Which one looks better? ;) I assume their playability is about the same on both version. I have only tried the CPC and PC versions
Pah, that doesn't settle anything. I asked my fiancee', and she thought the Spectrum Dizzy was supposed to be a ghost (because you can see the background through him) but the CPC was obviously an oval shaped character. Show Mrs Ant the actual game, not screenshots :P

Oh...That is definatly the last I'm saying on the matter....yes....

Apart from this, isn't it obvious that Dizzy is one of those generic games like Elite - that port reasonably well onto most machines because of the simple graphics and use of technology available at the time? Dizzy will always, most likely, be better on the version you played as a kid.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:52 am

But at the end of the day its a pointless poll where we are trying to compare two vastly different machines based on a games that was crap on both.

Its like comparing the film 'The Nutty Proffesor'. Who cares which version is best, they are both a pile of censored.

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:55 am

matt wrote:just completed it on an emulator.. really good.

i tell you one Dizzy game on the CPC that didn't look so hot..

Crystal Kingdom - they tried to make it colourful.
Ugh, yes. An awful attempt to make Dizzy look like the console versions that started to appear. They had the cheek to charge £9.99 for that.

The Spectrum version retained the original look.

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:03 am

Emperor Fossil wrote:
Yellow sand, white egg, no demon red-eyes, no colour-clash.
Dizzy didn't have red eyes during 'The ultimate cartoon adventure' on the CPC. I have no idea why his eyes turned red, never noticed it before.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:50 am

RocketRanger wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote: Seriously, the Amstrad would be a lot better for just keeping things simple. Bright green is not a colour you use to shade a white object. Cyan you might get away with, but not green.
I disagree strongly, the CPC version was done first. They couldn't replicate the shading on the Speccy, and all you speccy users go "oh yes, its better without that obviously". I have no doubt that if the shading had been ADDED to the speccy version you would be sitting there going "oh yes, he's much better with shading".
Then you really are just a troll.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:58 am

Dudley wrote:Then you really are just a troll.
If I were, I'd say something like..."the spectrum graphics make me physically hurt"

matt

Post by matt » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:14 am

The console versions of Dizzy were quite bad, if I recall correctly.

They did allow Codies to win a court case against Nintendo though, which is pretty cool.
I'm Matt, I'm a British geek living in Boston... working on free music at http://libre.fm

matt

Post by matt » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:13 am

Did anyone ever buy any of that Dizzy tat? Clocks and such? Probably worth a few quid now.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:28 am

RocketRanger wrote:
If I were, I'd say something like..."the spectrum graphics make me physically hurt"
I justified that, ignoring that's not an accurate quote.

You didn't justify either of your unwarranted personal attacks.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:46 am

Dudley wrote:
RocketRanger wrote:
I justified that, ignoring that's not an accurate quote.

You didn't justify either of your unwarranted personal attacks.
What?? Don't be daft, I don't know you personally. They weren't personal attacks, they were merely said in jest as a reaction to your peculiar comment about feeling "physically hurt" at seeing screenshots.

Take it easy...This is a disussion about a twenty year old computer game featuring an egg, s'all :?