Dizzy

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Dizzy was better on...

The CPC
44%
The ST
56%

Total votes: 45

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:13 pm

Dudley wrote:The CPC pics are just hideous to look at. They almost physically hurt.
So this is fine?

But adding a splash of colour to the main sprite and removing the sand colour...suddenly makes you "physically hurt"?

I believe you are suffering pain which has nothing to do with the website you are viewing sir. You should consult a Doctor immediatly.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:58 pm

RocketRanger wrote:
woody.cool wrote:
Dudley wrote:The CPC pics are just hideous to look at. They almost physically hurt.
:shock:

Are you 'aving a laugh ???
No..no...what we see there is a conditioned Spectrum user witnessing coloured sprites and absence of horrendous colour clash in a Dizzy game. At first his brain hurts, unable to comprehend the world before him.

In time, those the survive the transition may be able to adjust to the real world.
No, what I see is a hideous mash of colour as an 8-bit tries to pretend to be 16-bit. By having haphazard colour all over the place you can barely see the actual game. It's just a machine going "Look how many colours I can produce".

And I'm far from a "conditioned Spectrum user" and I don't appreciate the slight.
But adding a splash of colour to the main sprite and removing the sand colour...suddenly makes you "physically hurt"?
It's certainly considerably more messy for no gain at all. The full version of the screen contains so many disparate blotches of colour that yes, it becomes difficult to focus on any one object.

The C64 version of Magicland has a single colour dizzy but the machine was able to pull off the soft tones to do the colours the CPC had without looking like the graphical artist had simply thrown up.

Also, here's MagicLand on the ST.

[image removed by moderator—do not hot-link to this particular site]
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:11 pm

The original game was released long before 16-bits were common for games, so no it wasn't 8-bits trying to look like 16-bits.

The comments about it looking messy are needlessly harsh and unfounded. I don't see anything messy about it.

I'm not sure about the C64 version, we haven't mentioned it yet.

Yes, the ST version looks better. Funny that, it being an Atari ST and everything.

matt

Post by matt » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:31 pm

ST version looks better, CPC version plays better.

Dizzy walks slowly on all 16 bit versions.
I'm Matt, I'm a British geek living in Boston... working on free music at http://libre.fm

matt

Post by matt » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:36 pm

C64 version

http://www.crystalfusion.co.uk/pics/c64dizzy.png - rubbish. worse than the CPC and spectrum.

Why do the colours always look like crap on C64 games?
I'm Matt, I'm a British geek living in Boston... working on free music at http://libre.fm

nickh27

Post by nickh27 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:39 pm

matt wrote: Why do the colours always look like crap on C64 games?
to be fair, the colours look crap on cpc games too..

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:17 pm

nickh27 wrote:
matt wrote: Why do the colours always look like crap on C64 games?
to be fair, the colours look crap on cpc games too..
They do not "always", in both cases

will2097

Post by will2097 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:18 pm

SirClive wrote:
RocketRanger wrote:
SirClive wrote:We don't just blindly add Speccy to every 'best version' poll. Thats for deluded fanboys :wink:
The guy who posted after you prooves you wrong sir! :lol:
Damn you Will2097 :evil:
Sorry.

Edit. Having now read all the posts it's good to see I'm right. The Amstrad version looks, well to be honest, mouldy. And the ST version? The same with more colours. yeah for speccy.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:28 pm

RocketRanger wrote:So this is fine?

Well if Duds isn't sickly, poor old Dizzy certainly looks it in the second pic. Bleary red eyes and a sickly green pallor and you reckon that's an improvement over a white egg? I'm glad you're not stacking the shelves in my Asda ;)

Seriously, the Amstrad would be a lot better for just keeping things simple. Bright green is not a colour you use to shade a white object. Cyan you might get away with, but not green.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:30 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
RocketRanger wrote:So this is fine?

Well if Duds isn't sickly, poor old Dizzy certainly looks it in the second pic. Bleary red eyes and a sickly green pallor and you reckon that's an improvement over a white egg? I'm glad you're not stacking the shelves in my Asda ;)

Seriously, the Amstrad would be a lot better for just keeping things simple. Bright green is not a colour you use to shade a white object. Cyan you might get away with, but not green.
and a choice of white sand or yellow?
hmmm... tough choice
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:57 pm

There's a beach near us called 'Silver Sands' Name says it all really.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:00 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:There's a beach near us called 'Silver Sands' Name says it all really.
Ah , so the beach is meant to be silver in the Amstrad version!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:15 pm

why do the Speccyscreen only have 4 colours in the main window in the screenshot shown? On the CPC this is a limitation of the screen-mode used. The upper part of the screen could have had 4 other colours or say 16 colours if lowres 160x200 had been used in that part. Is there a technical reason for that no shading is used in this Speccy game? I do not know why CPC users like to say that these games was coded on CPC first, as they do not use the machine particulary well. The truth is that they were coded in paralell but on the CPC. The brothers churned out game after game with litle time spent on each.

I agree that choice of white sand and green and white dizzy is not good. They could easily used the same colours as on the Spectrum but they chose not. Maybe they were colourblind? ;)
Last edited by ivarf on Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:20 pm

The thing to remember though , like Sir C said - Dizzy is censored

We're basically arguing over which turd has been polished the most
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:54 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote: Seriously, the Amstrad would be a lot better for just keeping things simple. Bright green is not a colour you use to shade a white object. Cyan you might get away with, but not green.
I disagree strongly, the CPC version was done first. They couldn't replicate the shading on the Speccy, and all you speccy users go "oh yes, its better without that obviously". I have no doubt that if the shading had been ADDED to the speccy version you would be sitting there going "oh yes, he's much better with shading".

I personally like the shading, it is exactly how Dizzy was supposed to look and made him stand out as a non-flat character in a cartoon world.

The colour clash is the worst thing on the Spectrum version, we are told to "Just live with it" by speccy users, yet you don't ignore the limitations of other machines. Normally I agree (I did a comparison of Operation Wolf expecting the CPC version to be better, but in the end decided I like the Spectrum version just that bit more)

But in the case of Dizzy, the game plays exactly the same - but Dizzy never changes colour on the CPC version and is always clearly visible. So for anybody looking at the game for the first time, they probably won't ask "Why is the background showing through my egg man?".

Dizzy is a nicely shaded sprite on the CPC, the green tint actually works well. Yet you all say its a terrible version just because it isn't the spectrum version. Stop looking at the screenshots and go play it, they are virtually identical.

This is the last I have to say on the matter.

I bid you a fine day sirs.