Dizzy

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Dizzy was better on...

The CPC
44%
The ST
56%

Total votes: 45

batman877

Post by batman877 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:45 am

Dudley wrote:
That looks 1000 times better than the CPC image on the last page.
The CPC screenshot is from Dizzy I.
The Spectrum screenshot is from Dizzy II (aka Treasure Island Dizzy)

Comparison of the same game might help!

Here is a screenshot from the CPC version of Dizzy II:

I'm sure you'll agree that they look very similar. However, the CPC version has NO colour clash which gives it the edge. No one's trying to say that the CPC version is light years ahead! :roll:

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:45 am

The amstrad shot on page 2 looks like it's been rescaled. I think the game should look more like this:

However... with Treasure Island Dizzy:

Image Image

We have yellow sand, white egg, and colour clash (not pictured!), vs white sand, green egg with demon eyes, and no colour clash.

ROUND 1 ... FIGHT!

...or is it round 3 or something? I haven't been counting.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:48 am

No, I'm still not seeing why the Amstrad version would be considered better looking. The Speccy one has a nice clean look, but Dizzy just looks dirty on the CPC. I think I'll live with colour clash.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:02 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:No, I'm still not seeing why the Amstrad version would be considered better looking. The Speccy one has a nice clean look, but Dizzy just looks dirty on the CPC. I think I'll live with colour clash.
You just didn't grow up with your Dizzy shaded.

Here's a good vid I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CExNFU97eN4

There isn't nearly as much in it as people are making out....I prefer Dizzy without Colour clash myself. But I doubt either game plays that differently.

If you want to talk about "1000 times better" look at the 16-bit and console versions.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:09 pm

RocketRanger wrote:
SirClive wrote:Its a great little thread for Damstraddlers to claim there place in gaming history. The game was written on the CPC so it must be best. Using that logic, why is any game ever converted?
Maybe some of you Speccy lovers could give some compelling reason why the Spectrum version is better?
Well I for one haven't commented on the Speccy version. All Dizzy games are censored.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:10 pm

And just to confirm, I have not voted for the ST to spite Amstrad owners. I have abstained.

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:11 pm

Emperor Fossil wrote: ROUND 1 ... FIGHT!

...or is it round 3 or something? I haven't been counting.
The Spectrum can obviously display more colours than Amstrad 4-Colour Mode 1, but Dizzy's going to turn red when he walks in front of one of those trees.

hmmmm...I thought the Spectrum version was supposed to be super "high-def", but if you look at the background sprites they are exactly the same, pixel by pixel. Obviously the Spectrum version appears larger because..wait..there are less pixels on the screen than Amstrad Mode 1.

It's still the same bloody stupid game.

Which version had the best sampled speech? I'll go on that.

rupert

Post by rupert » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:32 pm

Speccy version is best because it's cooler, nothing to do with graphics and stuff. Everyone at school knew that CPC's were for geeks :twisted:

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:37 pm

rupert wrote:Speccy version is best because it's cooler, nothing to do with graphics and stuff. Everyone at school knew that CPC's were for geeks :twisted:
At last!!! This is the best piece of "compelling" evidence so far from the Speccy camp.

Thank you rupert, I'm very almost converted.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:29 pm

The CPC is where Dizzy belongs - I've always had a soft spot for Dizzy on the CPC & I believe IMO that Dizzy is much better on the CPC than on any other system!

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:50 pm

The CPC pics are just hideous to look at. They almost physically hurt.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:51 pm

Dudley wrote:The CPC pics are just hideous to look at. They almost physically hurt.
:shock:

Are you 'aving a laugh ???

nickh27

Post by nickh27 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:12 pm

Graphics wise, all you have to do is look at any ST screen shot to see that is much much better than the amstrad version..

8)

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:25 pm

woody.cool wrote:
Dudley wrote:The CPC pics are just hideous to look at. They almost physically hurt.
:shock:

Are you 'aving a laugh ???
No..no...what we see there is a conditioned Spectrum user witnessing coloured sprites and absence of horrendous colour clash in a Dizzy game. At first his brain hurts, unable to comprehend the world before him.

In time, those the survive the transition may be able to adjust to the real world.

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:51 pm

Who cares? And the ST is just a CPC with a faster CPU and a larger screen to move around

It would be cool to add the ST and Amiga to the 8-bit comparasion screen and score the games not relative to what the machines can do, but relative to each other. The best game would receive 100% no mather how much it sucked... :)

Reviews should be done by people that have no prior preference with any of the games tested platforms