Great Retro-gaming websites - the sticky thread!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

LAIS

Re: Great Retro-gaming websites - the sticky thread!

Post by LAIS » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:47 pm

http://www.retrowaretv.com/home/

Maybe that site is mentioned somewhere else in the forum, but if not there it is. Retroware TV can sometimes be annoying, but generally I find it good fun.

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:32 pm

Shameless plug alert!

I would be hugely grateful to receive comments and (hopefully constructive) criticisms of my new blog:

http://www.gameandwrite.co.uk/

Have a read and tell me what you think. It's still in it's prototype stage, though it is beginning to take shape. It is an attempt to write regularly about my favourite subject, therefore improving my writing and finding/refining my style.

Thanks in advance!
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:19 am

Another "prototype" website based on Retrogaming:

www.retrospekt.com.au

We are basically a collection of 4 (right now) Australian retrogamers who run a community based Retro Gaming site. We're still in the process of putting up content while the main website is still under design. Still, right now it's servicable with a heap of great content & some rare features.

I personally put a lot of time into focussing on information for collectors. I remember back when I was trying to complete a Sufami Turbo collection & there was very little information. All of that is up there, as well as other articles & games reviews.

We cover every system even those that were never released in Australia with videos & written material. We try to cater to a worldwide audience, so there should be something for everyone eventually. We are attempting to start a podcast soon & get the website launched properly.

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:58 pm

Nice one, Dizrythmia. Lot's of stuff there I hadn't seen before. Subscribed.
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

Riddler

Post by Riddler » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:33 pm

ArcadeCentral.co.uk

Retro Arcade games by some of the best developers Including Cave, Sega & Psikyo. It also has highscore submission and a music player which plays music from the games.

The site is constantly updated with content and is fun an easy to browse. A nice little touch is that instead of screenshots there are flash video's of the games.

http://www.arcadecentral.co.uk

kazooie

Post by kazooie » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:44 am

konsolenkost.de is a german site offering tons of retro games for SNES, Sega Dreamcast, Atari Lynx etc.

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Sun May 02, 2010 7:27 pm

Now, without anyone "recommending" me their own retro sites, can someone point me in the direction of a good, broadly focused retro site with news and reviews if possible?

Ta :mrgreen:
Nintendo DS games: 41

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Thu May 20, 2010 11:46 pm

Mr Vengeance wrote:Now, without anyone "recommending" me their own retro sites, can someone point me in the direction of a good, broadly focused retro site with news and reviews if possible?

I'm not sure this is entirely up your street, but here goes:
GameSpite.net - Written by a 1Up.com staff member, it's a pseudo-blog which keeps tabs on certain 2D releases (but not all the time- not so good for news, then) but it also has a vast collection of interesting articles on older games, covering pretty much anything you could imagine. Not all of them hit the mark, and the site layout is an absolute pig at times, but if you're willing to dig around, there's some good stuff there.

And now, unrelated obscure things:
TORP - The Obscure Research Project - A nice little site that focuses its attention mostly on unreleased games (like the prototype Command and Conquer port... For the Mega Drive!) and those wonderfully insane pirate games, such as countless different versions of Mortal Kombat and Donkey Kong Country for the NES, the truth behind that pirate SNES Sonic the Hedgehog game, and more. What's really interesting is the writer is determined to find out exactly who made these games, to the point of digging into the code to find any scraps of evidence regarding which pirate company made them. Fascinating!

The Saturn Junkyard - All Saturn, all the time. A blog, dedicated entirely to the Sega Saturn and anything even remotely related (although not to the extent of UK:Resistance and their constant hunt for Dreamcast swirls), this is so packed with stuff that it often slows my browser down quite a bit, but on the plus side, they have a small shrine on their sidebar in honour of 'the cult of Segata Sanshiro' so, uh, make of that what you will.

Unpublished NES Cheats - A very extensive list of often undocumented cheats for pretty much any NES game you can imagine, including hidden messages and very useful password generators for certain games.

Also, today is (or was, rather) the second birthday of my little site, so I decided to redesign it a bit to make it much more organised, fixed some things here and there, etc. It's a slight improvement. The main new 'thing' is this rather nice page which has a table charting every single game I've covered, with links to the appropriate articles and, assuming it works in your browser, the table is sortable by year, developer, rating, etc.- click the appropriate heading.

(Amusingly, my site is the exact opposite of Mr. Vengeance's request :lol: )
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri May 21, 2010 9:07 pm

So what are you going to cover next? Wasn't you going to an Onechanbara series review? I quite like your site - weird and obscure stuff is always good :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Fri May 21, 2010 10:20 pm

Megamixer wrote:So what are you going to cover next? Wasn't you going to an Onechanbara series review? I quite like your site - weird and obscure stuff is always good :)
The Onechanbara overview is coming, just a bit delayed- a few screenshot-grabbing issues- so the next thing will be a Fighters Megamix exposé (an article and unlockables guide/full picture gallery, similar to the Fighting Vipers one), some time next month. Not super-obscure, but some of the unlockables have about 50 different unlock methods listed on the internet, which is just confusing. Also: bonus desktop wallpapers!

Oh, and thanks, nice to know my stuff's appreciated- obscurities are my speciality :)
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat May 22, 2010 5:07 pm

Looking forward to the Megamix one (one of my favourite games as you can tell from my username). Think I unlocked most stuff apart from the Janet puzzle thingie and the fighting tree. Probably some more pervy Candy stuff in Japanese version too.

Bet there's loads of stuff I haven't seen though!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:46 pm

Tepid Snake wrote:
Mr Vengeance wrote:Now, without anyone "recommending" me their own retro sites, can someone point me in the direction of a good, broadly focused retro site with news and reviews if possible?

I'm not sure this is entirely up your street, but here goes:
GameSpite.net - Written by a 1Up.com staff member, it's a pseudo-blog which keeps tabs on certain 2D releases (but not all the time- not so good for news, then) but it also has a vast collection of interesting articles on older games, covering pretty much anything you could imagine. Not all of them hit the mark, and the site layout is an absolute pig at times, but if you're willing to dig around, there's some good stuff there.

And now, unrelated obscure things:
TORP - The Obscure Research Project - A nice little site that focuses its attention mostly on unreleased games (like the prototype Command and Conquer port... For the Mega Drive!) and those wonderfully insane pirate games, such as countless different versions of Mortal Kombat and Donkey Kong Country for the NES, the truth behind that pirate SNES Sonic the Hedgehog game, and more. What's really interesting is the writer is determined to find out exactly who made these games, to the point of digging into the code to find any scraps of evidence regarding which pirate company made them. Fascinating!

The Saturn Junkyard - All Saturn, all the time. A blog, dedicated entirely to the Sega Saturn and anything even remotely related (although not to the extent of UK:Resistance and their constant hunt for Dreamcast swirls), this is so packed with stuff that it often slows my browser down quite a bit, but on the plus side, they have a small shrine on their sidebar in honour of 'the cult of Segata Sanshiro' so, uh, make of that what you will.

Unpublished NES Cheats - A very extensive list of often undocumented cheats for pretty much any NES game you can imagine, including hidden messages and very useful password generators for certain games.

Also, today is (or was, rather) the second birthday of my little site, so I decided to redesign it a bit to make it much more organised, fixed some things here and there, etc. It's a slight improvement. The main new 'thing' is this rather nice page which has a table charting every single game I've covered, with links to the appropriate articles and, assuming it works in your browser, the table is sortable by year, developer, rating, etc.- click the appropriate heading.

(Amusingly, my site is the exact opposite of Mr. Vengeance's request :lol: )

Only just noticed the reply there now :oops:

Anyway, thanks for those mate, really appreciate you going to such lengths there to give me some recommendations. I'll check them out!!

Thanks again :D
Nintendo DS games: 41

eastcoasteric

Post by eastcoasteric » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:23 pm

I haven't looked through most of the sites but if you guys in the UK have not heard of this then grab a snack and get your a$$ on the computer and watch every video from this dude...

http://www.cinemassacre.com

it is the ANGRY VIDEO GAME NERD...yes yes I know it's sounds stupid however this gent is pure ingenious.

He reviews the crappy videogames of the past (nothing older than SNES/
JAG/ETC)
He also does reviews on old systems and peripherals that were for it..he is seriously a complete riot.

As well he does old movies and some new reviews as well as board games from the late 80's and early 90's.

Bottom line, the dude is a riot....have you ever been p1ssed trying to beat Ninja Gaiden? Or how about the first time you picked up ET for the 2600? I guarantee you..that the Angry Video Game Nerd has been way more p1ssed..and he's hear to tell us exactly...why.

Check it out!

orbit79

Post by orbit79 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:49 am

I've started a new site called skreenshotz.com.

The concept behindit is a simple one: to catalog screenshots from as many games as is humanly possible, be they old or new.

Obviously this is an insanely large task. As such I'm looking for people who'd be interested in helping out. There is no real method to my madness, I pretty well just post pics of games when they spring to mind. The more people who are posting the larger, and more diverse, the collection can grow.

Anyway, check it out and let me know if you wanna help.

http://www.skreenshotz.com

Cheers, Rob
skreenshotz.com - http://www.skreenshotz.com