Great Retro-gaming websites - the sticky thread!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Dizzy

Re: Great Retro-gaming websites - the sticky thread!

Post by Dizzy » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:39 am

I submit - http://www.yolkfolk.com

Yolkfolk.com is the biggest site in the world dedicated to the Oliver Twins character Dizzy.
Has a dedicated community of followers who help regularly on our forums gamers who need help or would just like to talk about Dizzy.
The site itself is full to the brim (and increasing) with information and downloads for Dizzy.
Also hosts DIZZYAGE which allows gamers to make their own Dizzy games from scratch.

thesubcon3

Post by thesubcon3 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:30 pm

vgMastersClub.com - Retro gaming reviews, videos, music, competition and an Online EmuZone Arcade where you can play your favorite retro games including NES, Famicom, Master System, Commodore 64 (Complete with loading time), Atari 2600, Gameboy, Game Gear and selected retro style Flash games.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:18 pm

I'm in the process of revamping my own site at the moment after some time offline....unfortunately, the existing one has kind of dissolved into a disagreement over what's going on at the moment. I'll post up a link to my new forum and once it's ready soon, I'm shifting it away from the Ning network which is pretty user unfriendly.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:34 pm

Is there any sites where I can play Venture online?

orbit79

Post by orbit79 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:58 pm

Ok, so this feels like a bit like I'm plugging my own web site, but it might be worth a look for you all. It features both old and new games, mostly from 8-bit era on. Let me know what you think.

The link is in my signature.

Cheers.
skreenshotz.com - http://www.skreenshotz.com

Bcubic

Post by Bcubic » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:53 pm

Well, as the inspiration for my website was the R-Type article in RetroGamer issue #21, it couldn't be wrong to promote it via the RetroGamer-board ;-)
Find some "really large screenshots" (the sites former name) at c64screenshots.com; for keeping up to date, use the rss-feed.

Hope you like it.

mick_aka

Post by mick_aka » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:54 am

Not sure if this has already been mentioned but a while ago Dave Z put sega-saturn.com back online.

It's only really an archive, but it's great reading through some of the stuff there, especially the mid-90's news updates about Sega releases, some of them make you want to sob.

Check it out: www.sega-saturn.com

thesubcon3

Post by thesubcon3 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:56 am

Yeah you can play Venture on my site vgMastersClub.com I have tons of others as well...

Retroblique

Post by Retroblique » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:55 am

If I may be permitted to plug my own site:

Retroblique
http://retroblique.com

Basically a journal of my gaming experiences from the pre-ZX81 days all the way through to the contemporary scene. The ultimate aim of the site is to provide some more anecdotal coverage of games from years gone by. Lots of people talk about the likes of Zelda, Doom and Monkey Island in a contemporary context, telling us why they're still fun to play today. But there's not many people out there telling us what it was like to play these games for the first time back in the day.

While I'll be covering most major platforms in the goodness of time, for now there'll be a bias towards the ZX Spectrum, C64, Amiga, PC and PlayStation.

You can also catch me on Twitter where I tweet about games and a variety of other geeky pursuits.

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:47 am

Right, I've trawled through this whole thing just to make sure I'm not repeating anything, but here we go:
UnMAMED Arcade Games
A little outdated now, and maybe a bit too beardy-weirdy for some, but this is an archive of games you won't be playing in MAME for a while, covering some of the most obscure arcade games of all time, usually with lots of screenshots and scans for you to gaze over (which includes shots of the Ms. Pac-Man prototype called Crazy Otto and the unreleased Bouncer, which looks amazing)

Socks Make People Sexy
If you can ignore the silly title, this is a great site with some amazing special features, such as an exhaustive look at every single shoot-em-up available for the Mega Drive and SNES, and the now-famous 'Rise and Fall of Final Fantasy' series where one man plays through every single FF game and offers biting commentary at every turn (the FFVIII article alone had me crying with laughter) There's also a pretty big archive of reviews for you to look over, and the entire site has a bit of a fixation on Konami games- almost all their NES games get covered one way or the other. Oh, and I show up on there too- I did the Out to Lunch review.

The PAL Mega-CD Library
PAL Playstation Collective
These two are really useful resources for PAL gamers- if you're looking for a complete Mega-CD collection (in which case you might be slightly mad) or a complete PS1 collection (in which case you are almost certainly legally insane) then you need to take a look here. They both cover regional variations and a few collector's oddities (like the various Mega-CD music CDs and the Elemental Gearbolt Assassin's Case) so they're really useful.

Finally, in a sickening display of self-advertising, there's my website, Gaming Hell which looks absolutely horrible (because I can't code HTML to save my life) but I make up for it in content: when I cover a game on that site, it gets covered to the extreme, usually in a level-by-level running commentary that's both entertaining and informative. Unfortunately, this means I can't update it as often as a blog- I really wish I could!
Highlights include the Fighting Vipers review/guide (wherein I reveal how to play as one of the characters in nothing but their underwear), the King of the Monsters 2 review (wherein I completely lose my rag by the penultimate page) and the Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon review (which is me making fun of Sailor Moon for 10 pages straight and slowly but surely losing my sanity during the process.)
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:30 am

Tepid Snake wrote:Finally, in a sickening display of self-advertising, there's my website, Gaming Hell which looks absolutely horrible (because I can't code HTML to save my life) but I make up for it in content: when I cover a game on that site, it gets covered to the extreme, usually in a level-by-level running commentary that's both entertaining and informative. Unfortunately, this means I can't update it as often as a blog- I really wish I could!
Highlights include the Fighting Vipers review/guide (wherein I reveal how to play as one of the characters in nothing but their underwear), the King of the Monsters 2 review (wherein I completely lose my rag by the penultimate page) and the Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon review (which is me making fun of Sailor Moon for 10 pages straight and slowly but surely losing my sanity during the process.)
i actually just looked through your code, its not that bad

wizardshotthefood

Post by wizardshotthefood » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:05 pm

Came across a great new website with some nice Atari ST reviews

www.retroexperience.com

Cheers

wizardshotthefood :)

MkII

Post by MkII » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:47 pm

http://www.vgmuseum.com/
An extensive site with screenshots and ending sequences from many games.

http://starmen.net/
>THE< Earthbound/Mother fansite, they did the Mother 3 fan-translation.

http://thesnakesoup.org/
A cynical and funny site dedicated to Metal Gear, a must read are the editorial features.

http://www.fightersgeneration.com/main.htm
Probably the most best fighting-game website, has tons of information with mini reviews and amazing amount of sprite animations from games.

http://www.ffcompendium.com/h/
A very good site about all things Final Fantasy.

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:08 pm

What are some good forums for chatting primarily about the 8-and 16-bit computers?