What is an adventure game?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:09 am

One of the best examples has already been mentioned..

GAC... It did what it said on the tin, created Graphic adventures, not Point and click adventure creator but GRAPHIC ADVENTURE CREATOR...

And yes, that is my copy :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:12 am

Is this a question of semantics?

I'm quite clear in my head that a Graphic Adventure is a text based game with some graphic additions.

The people who are wrong think that a GraphicAL Adventure includes much later genres.

Is that 'AL' the missing link here? Is that the distinction between two very different but similarly titled genres?

(Nice GAC btw. Mine was on a C90 and a stack of photocopied manual pages)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Celebaglar

Post by Celebaglar » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:34 am

GarryG wrote:Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, but I would say Celebaglar is aged teen to early twentys?
I'm quite happy to correct you. Early forties, and was around in the early to mid-eighties so I do remember the early days.

But remembering does not mean living in the early 80's now. I remember Lords of Midnight being classed as an "adventure" with "thousands of locations". I remember it being described as an "Epic". Now we know it was really a strategy/wargame with a weak quest element to it.

Granted, I'm looking at it with a relatively dispassionate analytical eye rather than doing the nostalgia trip. I would prefer it if you didn't adopt the rather condescending assumption that I'm talking out of sheer ignorance and lack of background. The first game I ever bought was an adventure game: Heroes of Karn on the C64, a text adventure with graphic and music (would you call it a musical adventure perhaps?). A good half of my still existing C64 collection (bought at the time, not recently in retro-mode) is made up of adventure games. As it happens my love of the adventure game never translated to the purely graphical format and I never enjoyed The Secret of Monkey Island as much as I enjoyed Twin Kingdom Valley or Erik the Viking, for instance. So yeah, your impression of me as the spotty kid who's read a couple of websites and is talking out of his backside is way off.

I never mentioned FP games or Arcade Adventures (which were not true adventures in my book anyway), so we'll ignore all that. I even admit that when I had an Amiga and I first saw point-and-click games being referred to as graphic adventures it seemed wrong to me as well, but with well over another decade under my belt since then my view has changed.

Celebaglar

Post by Celebaglar » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:42 am

Opa-Opa wrote:One of the best examples has already been mentioned..

GAC... It did what it said on the tin, created Graphic adventures, not Point and click adventure creator but GRAPHIC ADVENTURE CREATOR...
And yes, that is my copy :)
That's OK, I have one too. I'm not denying how the term was used at the time, but when GAC was released there were hardly any other type of adventures except text based ones. There were some largely experimental icon driven games, and of course there were the so-called Arcade Adventures, but none of these mirrored what a text game did in a graphical way.

I suppose I am questioning whether applying two separate labels for what is just a single game genre is still applicable today, even it's how things were labeled at the time.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:57 am

Celebaglar wrote:
GarryG wrote:Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, but I would say Celebaglar is aged teen to early twentys?
I'm quite happy to correct you. Early forties, and was around in the early to mid-eighties so I do remember the early days.
My mistake then…
…I didn’t mean to come across as condescending, sorry…
...and you are of course entitled to your opinion.

But you can’t say that everything that refers to ‘graphic Adventures’ as a particular type of game is by default wrong, just because the term was coined years ago, IMO

So are you now saying that you do see point-and-click and other things as graphic adventures? Why, just because there are more of them and they have been around longer now?
There isn’t really any point of arguing over it, but I personally really don’t see your logic!

We seem to have veered of on a bit of a ‘Graphics adventure’ tangent here.
Do you think the term ‘Adventure Game’, no graphical, should be used to describe an even wider variety of games then?
Don’t think I’m living in the past, but I suppose my mind is just conditioned to see adventure game as text based typing games with strong puzzle solving elements.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:07 am

Celebaglar wrote: That's OK, I have one too. I'm not denying how the term was used at the time, but when GAC was released there were hardly any other type of adventures except text based ones.
And when a new type of adventure that used a different interface was invented it was given it's own name - Point and click.

I am not saying that point and clicks are not adventures, they are, but they are not graphic adventures in the same way that a motorbike is not a bicycle, they are both different things born out of the same idea..

We give things names to stop confusion, calling all adventures "graphic adventures" is just confusing and a bit wrong...

Celebaglar

Post by Celebaglar » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:41 am

GarryG wrote:But you can’t say that everything that refers to ‘graphic Adventures’ as a particular type of game is by default wrong, just because the term was coined years ago, IMO
No, I simply think that the distinction between what was classed as "text adventure" and "graphic adventure" is now totally irrelevant. I'd call all the games that use text to both convey the scene and accept instructions as "text adventures". Yes, some have graphics and some have music and some were indeed originally labeled as graphic adventures, but my point would be that the graphic aspect is irrelevant. You can remove it without having any impact on the game whatsoever. That would be the basis of the classification I'd apply now.
So are you now saying that you do see point-and-click and other things as graphic adventures?
Point-and-click, yes, other things would depend on what those things were.
Why, just because there are more of them and they have been around longer now?
No, it's because point-and-click games use graphics to convey the scene and accept instructions. The core concept is similar to that in text adventures: you solve problems/puzzles to advance further into the game and reveal more puzzles, and there's a general storyline tying the whole thing together. It's only the interface that's changed, from a text one in the prior games to a graphics based one in these, and that is why I see one genre as "text adventures" and the other as "graphic adventures" (though I'd be happy to accept the correction to "graphical adventures" should it make any difference). Later games that are a slightly different genre, like Myst or Zork Nemesis, would probably also fall under the same general label of "graphic adventures" in my book.
There isn’t really any point of arguing over it, but I personally really don’t see your logic!
I hope I've described my logic a bit better above. It's just my view, of course, not something I expect everyone else to follow.
We seem to have veered of on a bit of a ‘Graphics adventure’ tangent here.
Do you think the term ‘Adventure Game’, no graphical, should be used to describe an even wider variety of games then?
It depends on the game. How many of the old adventures had RPG elements in them? Quite a few I'd say, while others had cross-over elements.

For instance, Lords of Midnight is categorically NOT an adventure in my view. Valhalla (the 8-bit one) is borderline. The Monkey Island games definitely are. Staff of Karnath and Entombed are not. Myst is. Zelda and the Final Fantasy series are not. Some games blur the lines or have strong adventure elements in them. I'm not sure if that makes it any clearer.
Don’t think I’m living in the past, but I suppose my mind is just conditioned to see adventure game as text based typing games with strong puzzle solving elements.
We're all conditioned to some degree. Like I said, when I first saw a point-and-click game described as a graphic adventure I felt it was wrong - and that the reviewer was an ignorant oik - but I've changed my perspective. Maybe it's just simplistic, but the way I see it now is that "text adventures" are adventures where the significant medium is textual, while "graphic adventures" are adventures where the significant medium is graphical.

But we could sit here debating this until the cows come home without reaching a consensus, so we'll probably just have to agree to disagree on this one.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:29 am

I agree... ...to disagree :D

Belgarath

Post by Belgarath » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:34 am

I don't agree with that.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:40 am

Well nether do I :D

that's why I disagreed :lol:

Belgarath

Post by Belgarath » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:43 am

I don't agree with you agreeing to disagree!

(don't mind me, it was a simpsons quote actually).

kiniki

Post by kiniki » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:39 pm

Personally I am not happy with the term "Point & Click" as in my head that describes games that are controlled entirely with the mouse...

Technically Minesweeper is Point & Click, not much of an adventure game though......

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:49 pm

kiniki wrote:
Technically Minesweeper is Point & Click, not much of an adventure game though......
Technically what your saying is a load of old balls...
It's plainly obvious to anyone with a head that we are discusing adventure games, I really thought that there would be no point in typing "point and click ADVENTURE" everytime as we all knew this, the title in the heading should have given you a clue...

They are not called point and click games, they are called point and click adventures... :roll:

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:58 pm

I think I'm right in saying that an 8-bit mag (possibly Crash?) had arguments between reviewing staff over certain games - the guy who did the 'adventure section' (Derek Brewster?) wanted to review them as he said they were adventure games , and the reviewers of the 'normal' section wanted to review them as they claimed they weren't - so some issues you would end up with 2 reviews of the same game in different sections of the mag

To say the definitions were defined 20 years ago or more in my opinion are untrue
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:42 am

As i mentioned in another thread.

Space Quest 3.

Move with mouse.

Type commands to interact.

What the hell is that in this classificaiton?
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com