Worst Game to movie Adaptation

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mr. Pointless

Post by Mr. Pointless » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:28 pm

If I could afford it I would take all copies of Boll's films and do an ET.
Amiga: "Insert Disk 7"
User: "When I work out how to magically pull that out of my **** I will, because it's not in the box."

Xbox 360: Mr Pointless | PSN: Mr_Pointless | Steam: Mr Pointless

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:49 pm

Mr. Pointless wrote:If I could afford it I would take all copies of Boll's films and do an ET.

Phone Home? :wink:
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Mr. Pointless

Post by Mr. Pointless » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:32 pm

The other ET. The one involving a steamroller and a desert.
User: "When I work out how to magically pull that out of my **** I will, because it's not in the box."

Randall Flagg

Re:

Post by Randall Flagg » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:13 pm

Mr. Pointless wrote:The other ET. The one involving a steamroller and a desert.
:lol:

On another note.... People seem annoyed that games don't make great movies....Of Course they don't!!!!! It's not that the concept is bad. It's just that the movies are made purely to cash in on a games popularity.

Games don't make great movies so yes, the plot is changed and yes, it turns out completely crap.

I was actually surprised that Resi movies were as good as they were. Its not that they were good, but I expected them to be completely crap and they were slightly better than crap (But not much!)

I watched the recent Doom movie and yet again asked myself why I keep getting duped into watching game to movie movies.

I would like to see a Syndicate based movie, however the fact that it is based on a game would ruin it from the start so dunno why i would want this...The world is a strange place....
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:51 pm

The film should be fairly close to the subject material.

Could you imagine the outcry if the next Harry Potter film was
set in space with Tom Cruise as Harry Potter fighting hordes of
Dementors from Mars?People would feel a bit peeved that the film bore little resemblance to the book.

All we ask is for a decent director with a decent budget with decent actors.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Mr. Pointless

Post by Mr. Pointless » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:31 pm

I've just been reminded of something... GTA. Round about when number 3 was flying off the shelves, some arsehole decided to cash in and release the 70s film of the same name... a film which had nothing to do with the games and was probably about as violent as the Dukes of Hazzard (the original).

That, for some reason, didn't stop them from adding to their ads "You've played the game, now see the movie!"

WHY DID PRISM HAVE SUCH A BRAINLESS MARKETING MONKEY!!!!!!!!!!!
:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Rant over.

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:38 pm

[quote="Mr. Pointless"]
:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

It was probably a clever move on their part ,to sell more copies (if an underhand one).Would this film ever have been re-released if there hadn't been a popular game of the same name?-I doubt it!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

AC

Re:

Post by AC » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:20 pm

Mr. Pointless wrote:That, for some reason, didn't stop them from adding to their ads "You've played the game, now see the movie!"

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x .
I think it's good business. Maximum income from minimum input, In this case, the game did most of the hard work, and the film merely had the same name!

You don't get far in business thinking about people's feelings :wink:

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:45 am

I've never been impressed with Paul Anderson's Mortal Kombat film, though many people consider it one of the better adaptations.

Ok, Robin Shou is a talented martial artist, Bridgette Wilson looked nice, but the film was total crap.

Kano the Mockney Cockney was a complete joke. Christopher Lambert's Rayden/Raiden was poor (how many times did he have to keep saying 'I don't think so!'), Scorpion and Sub Zero were reduced to non-entities (despite a semi entertaining Scorpion/Johnny Cage punch up), and Goro, well the less said about a giant 4 armed Muppet, the better.

The constant 'techno-rock' soundtrack really ruined the atmosphere of the fights too, and for the most part, they looked less convincing than the average wrestling match on Friday Night Smackdown.

The only thing good about it was that it was slightly better than the sequel Mortal Kombat: Annihilation *shudder*, and Paul Anderson's more recent 'effort' Alien vs Predator *weep*