Using savestates while playing emulators

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

dexter

Using savestates while playing emulators

Post by dexter » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:16 am

I don't know if this has been discussed previously, i did search for it but couldn't find anything.

What about using savestates when playing old games with emulators, is it justifiable or is it cheating? When you played the game on the actual console/computer back in the days you didn't have that option (unless the game had battery backup and you could save your game, anyway you were most often limited to certain parts in the game were you could save). Today when i play a game I often save before a difficult moment, lets say an end boss, so if I die I don't have to play the whole level all over again or even worse - play the entire game from the beginning.

A friend of mine and I discussed this and we agreed on that we had way more patience when we were younger than we have now and therefore we could use save states today when playing those games and we do not consider it cheating.

What are your thoughts on this? :D

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:00 am

I belive it is cheating..

If you can't finish a game without using save states that were not in the game to start with then you haven't finished the game.

Revok

Post by Revok » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:07 am

What are your thoughts on this?
On the one hand it is cheating.

On the other hand - most of these games would have had quick saves put in if the memory had been around - so it is one of the lesser forms of cheating IMO.

I am playing Super Metroid through at the moment on the XBox - and the save system seems to be bugged (probably the emulator) so I am finding Save States quite usefull.

Wildnites

Post by Wildnites » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:18 am

It's cheating.

FACT :lol:
Please Sir I cannot tell a lie......

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:34 am

Cheat Cheat Cheat Cheat Cheat :wink:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:34 am

Got to agree that it is (technically) cheating, but seriously, what's the big deal?
真・豪鬼

Wildnites

Post by Wildnites » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:45 am

Shin_Gouki wrote:Got to agree that it is (technically) cheating, but seriously, what's the big deal?
If you can not finish a game the way it was designed, then you haven't completed it and therefore not a real gamer, just a cheat.

That's how I look at it.... :twisted:

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:49 am

It's not cheeting in RPG games!

It's often easier to use the emulators save state than using the 'propper' save/load game proccess used by the origonal hardware.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:40 am

Bub&Bob wrote:Cheat Cheat Cheat Cheat Cheat :wink:
Actualy, I do use save states - I'm lucky if I get more than a couple of hours a week to play games so its really useful as a way to continue when playing emu games on PSP.
Wildnites wrote:If you can not finish a game the way it was designed, then you haven't completed it and therefore not a real gamer, just a cheat.
I have been known to use it when I get to really tricky bits and if that doesn't make me a real gamer and a cheat then I think I can just about cope with that slur!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:59 am

Wildnites wrote:If you can not finish a game the way it was designed, then you haven't completed it and therefore not a real gamer, just a cheat.
Except, of course, when a deadline's rampaging towards you and you have to get a screen in a game! I think I'd have gone crazy trying to complete the 'extra' mission on Pitfall II without save states.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:07 am

But then surely the only point of saves in the first place is because we can't all complete games in one sitting? If you're saving for the simple fact that if you die you can come back to it then isn't that pretty much the same as saving with a savestate? Simply the fact that it's not at the exact place the programmers placed it doesn't make it cheating.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

The Master

Post by The Master » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:16 am

Real men one-credit all games :D

Wildnites

Post by Wildnites » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:48 am

Bub&Bob wrote:
I have been known to use it when I get to really tricky bits and if that doesn't make me a real gamer and a cheat then I think I can just about cope with that slur!
That's good then :D
My views on savestates is the reason why I have not completed some games, got to a really tricky point and got sick of doing the thing over and over that I gave up..... :oops:
But I will try again in the future, they will not beat me :twisted:
The Master wrote:Real men one-credit all games
I couldn't have put it better myself :lol: :lol:

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:15 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:
Except, of course, when a deadline's rampaging towards you and you have to get a screen in a game! I think I'd have gone crazy trying to complete the 'extra' mission on Pitfall II without save states.
Except of course that don't count as cheating..
What your doing is informing us of the whole game, many a company would send out games with level select codes for review use.

Using a save states to make the game easier is cheating, using drugs to make a bike race easier is cheating.. Samething.

But remember you are only cheating yourself..

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:39 pm

It depends on the type of game and how you use it. Like I said in the other thread it can be a valuable tool for those of us unable to devote hours at a time to a game.

If you're playing R-Type and you hit the save state key before a tricky section, the load it again upon dying, that's cheating.

If you're playing an RPG and you're a good long way from a save point but your attention is required elsewhere the save state is essential - but you have to use it honestly. Here's what I do - I use the games natural save file whenever possible and always load up from that to continue. However, if I find myself deep in a dungeon and no longer able to play I will save state it. Later I'll reload from the save state but - and this is the important bit - if I die before getting to the next save point I'll reload from the last natural save point rather than the state and attempt the whole dungeon again.

Used honestly, the save state to me is simply the equivalent of pausing the game for a long period.