Best SSI Fantasy RPG's

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

CatherineMcClarey

Re: Best SSI Fantasy RPG's

Post by CatherineMcClarey » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:22 pm

I'm playing the MS-DOS version of Curse of the Azure Bonds via DOSBox right now (it's running in another window as I type). The Tandy sound effects are better than plain PC speaker sound, but not as good as the C64 sound I remember from when I first played this 20 years ago. I bought all the SSI "Gold Box" games (for C64 until the 2 "Savage Frontier" titles came out, then switched to the MS-DOS versions), including the 2 Buck Rogers titles, and I've just recently started replaying the series (once my teenage son explained how DOSBox worked! :oops: ).
In regard to Curse of the Azure Bonds, I'd like the opinion of others who've played the game (on any platform) on when to use the "Dust of Disappearance" (perhaps the single most useful artifact in the game). I know there's a trick that can be used to duplicate money/items (basically giving stuff to a throwaway character, and removing him/adding her to the party in different save game positions), but I'm trying to get through the game without using that particular trick. So, when's the best battle to use the "Dust of Disappearance" in?: against the Mulmaster Beholder Corps, the boss battle against the minions of Moander, the final boss battle against Tyranthraxus, or somewhere else? (My party is currently at Dagger Falls and considering tackling the Mulmaster Beholder Corps, so I'd really appreciate quick answers if possible.) Thanks in advance!
"Just one more turn . . .!"

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:17 am

Well , by far the best SSI fantasy for me has to be Warhammer:sHorned Rat , great game. Their best game overall would be Panzer General on PS1/PC, which was a great introduction to wargamng for the 'new' generation.

The earlier games I didn't really get into , probably mainly because I had a Specy and not a C64 until much later. Best fantasy game on that machine was Journeys End , a budget game by
Mastertronic , which looked pretty basic (was pretty basic tbh) but was immensley addictive. I did play HEroes of the Lance on sT , which I was very unimpressed with , but I assume that this was not one of their better games?

Having an Amiga I played the Beholder games , with II being the best , but none were as fluid and inventive as Dungeon Master , esp with that games impressive spell management system. Ok the BEholder games had a much more interactive storyline , but I never felt the same kind of fear and trepidation as I did with DM.

Btw I remember playing a dungeon-crawler on the C64 , where you had to press a key to swing your sword , and if you missed the message 'too slow,too slow' came up on screen . Seem to remember it had quite basic graphics , much like Journeys End. Would be great it if anyone could suggest the name , as I would love to revisit it
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

CatherineMcClarey

Post by CatherineMcClarey » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:14 am

Was that an SSI game, I wonder? If it was, it could have been the original "Eye of the Beholder" game, which I believe was a first-person perspective dungeon crawl (a bit like Id's original "Castle Wolfenstein" or "Doom" for the PC). Those were much more my spouse's type of game than mine, though.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:26 am

CatherineMcClarey wrote:Was that an SSI game, I wonder? If it was, it could have been the original "Eye of the Beholder" game, which I believe was a first-person perspective dungeon crawl (a bit like Id's original "Castle Wolfenstein" or "Doom" for the PC). Those were much more my spouse's type of game than mine, though.

Thanks for the suggestion , but no , it was much more basic than that. Top down , with you having to find your way through around the screen , uncovering sections as you went. It was on C64 , and I *think* the objective of each level was finding the stairwell to the next. There was a basic animation as your character took a swing at enemies with his sword. What makes me remmeber more than anything was that I think you could press any key to 'swing' your sword and attack the enemy. As the largest key on the C64 was the spacebar , it was that one I used , but always seemed to miss my enemy. It was only afetr some trial and error that I realised that pressing the spacebar nearly always caused my character to miss , whilst using other keys was much more successful.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

CatherineMcClarey

Post by CatherineMcClarey » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:09 am

Perhaps the game you're remembering was Epyx's "Temple of Apshai" series, then? That had a top-down perspective and very simple graphics, although I don't remember if it changed views when one got to a monster encounter. Rogue was somewhat similar, but with even simpler ASCII characters for all the graphics. (I admit I had to look those games up on Wikipedia to jog my memory on the details!) I remember one of those games (either Rogue or the first game in the Temple of Apshai trilogy) was the only C64 game I owned that came on a cartridge (and it included instructions for the cassette tape C64 version, too!).

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:40 am

CatherineMcClarey wrote:Perhaps the game you're remembering was Epyx's "Temple of Apshai" series, then? That had a top-down perspective and very simple graphics, although I don't remember if it changed views when one got to a monster encounter. Rogue was somewhat similar, but with even simpler ASCII characters for all the graphics. (I admit I had to look those games up on Wikipedia to jog my memory on the details!) I remember one of those games (either Rogue or the first game in the Temple of Apshai trilogy) was the only C64 game I owned that came on a cartridge (and it included instructions for the cassette tape C64 version, too!).

Thanks , will check that out
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:50 pm

I loved buck rogers on the MD.

Eat your nans pants