What's the most annoying game you've played, and why?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:40 am

The Last V8-Commodore 64. Shocking controls, but great music.

Cybernoids 1+2,Exolon,Army Moves,Game Over-All for being too hard.

The 2 skating events in Winter Games, just because I can never get anything over 3.5 score.

Cobra on C64 because I wanted it to be better than the Speccy version that I had played at my mates.He laughed.(Also see Commando.)

AC

Post by AC » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:09 am

Vib Ribbon, PSOne.

Hailed for it's originality, but once you got it home it was frustrating, annoying, and just bad.

Reminds me of an ex... 8)

merman

Re:

Post by merman » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:06 am

The Last Ginja wrote:The Last V8-Commodore 64. Shocking controls, but great music.
Paging TMR ;)
Army Moves,Game Over-All for being too hard.
Dinamic always made their games so tough!
The 2 skating events in Winter Games, just because I can never get anything over 3.5 score.
Ha, got over 5 on both!
Cobra on C64 because I wanted it to be better than the Speccy version that I had played at my mates.He laughed.(Also see Commando.)
Cobra is not the game to show your mates to prove the C64 is better than the Speccy... apart from the music, it has no redeeming features. Multicolour "death" animations, strange ladders, exploding prams...

James A

Post by James A » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:59 am

Ghosts' & Goblins, because it is just so hard. That or im crap at it.

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:11 pm

Navy Moves - a game seemingly designed by the Marquis De Sade

Jumping Jack - an annoying game that makes we want to give the programmer a slap.

Bear Bovver - finicky controls, music that sounded it was literally scored, limited gameplay, enemies that just 'knew' where you were etc. Not one of Jon Ritman's finer moments.

Ghouls & Ghosts - A game made pointless due to the unlimited continues which made no difference as you did the same bit of level 2 time and time again.

I can't remember any more for now as my mind has blanked them out.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:59 am

Last Ninja 2. Great game, and I played it to completion but it was just so annoying at parts. Pixel perfect jumps made impossible by the isometric viewpoint, having to climb down ladders and stuff by moonwalking backwards onto them, no clues where to go and what to do at certain points, and a computer code that needed to be collected on a previous level - which multi-load made it impossible to go back to and therefore ruined hours or work if you missed it the first time round.

Tales of the Arabian Nights. The platforming levels were annoying because there was only really one route through the level and failure sent you right back to the beginning.

Championship / Football Manager. Last minute equalisers and winners, injuries to key players at key points in the season, losing matches for no apparent reason. Again, love this series but it's caused more annoying moments that anything I can think of. At times I swear the PC has it in for me.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

sven

Re:

Post by sven » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:52 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Most Sierra adventures-too many unforseen deaths.Plus if you didn't pick up an item earlier in the game,you could get to a stage where you couldn't proceed any further
Lucasarts sorted this out later
The adventure genre evolved from the first simple text adventures ("You're in a maze, all rooms loook alike"), to graphic adventures that shared some of the text adventures problems (like missing an important object, forcing a restart), to Lucasarts hold-your-hands strategy (early Lucasarts adventures such as Zak and Maniac Mansion had the other flaws mentioned).

I agree it could be annoying at times to make progress in a game only to find out you missed something earlier, but it did have the effect that you looked more closely at the places you were in, rather than just trouncing ahead. But then, it could be said that the later Lucasarts approach lent itself to more true adventuring because you didn't have to worry about forgetting something or save every five minutes.

Sierra had some truly classic instant death moments though :)

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:08 am

revgiblet wrote:and a computer code that needed to be collected on a previous level - which multi-load made it impossible to go back to and therefore ruined hours or work if you missed it the first time round.
Mm. I hated that kind of thing. The Rowland Bros. often did this, requiring that you communicated with a game psychically, consulting it about the weapons upgrades needed for future levels; and if you got it wrong, you hit a brick wall and had to start again. Frustrating.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:12 am

The most annoying game ever (or level) was the space stage on Sonic Adventure 2. Oh look I've fallen down a hole cos the camera is so censored I can't see where I am. Oh it's happened again. And again. Who designed that freakin last level???

Or perhaps it was any multiloader game on the C64 that always crashed when you had to turn over the tape..

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:13 pm

AC wrote:Vib Ribbon, PSOne.

Hailed for it's originality, but once you got it home it was frustrating, annoying, and just bad.

Vib Ribbon was great, very original, customisable and simple good fun.

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:24 am

AC wrote:Vib Ribbon, PSOne.

It was quite good for a laugh and should rightly be praised for trying to do something different, but I much prefered other music games like PaRappa the Rapper and the like.

The laugh from Vib Ribbon came from trying lots of different CDs and seeing what it was like. Sometimes it all got a bit surreal. I almost broke my wrist trying to play Vib Ribbon to 'Baggy Trousers' by Madness.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

AC

Post by AC » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:56 am

Well at the time I fell for the marketing that it was original and therefore good.

I thought it was awful! It was just a case of the faster the music, the more shapes appear. Remembering the combinations for each shape was frustrating too - and a frustrating game is only good if it's rewarding, something 'Ribbon was not.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:45 pm

Although Pararappa was cool,the best music game has to be Space Channel 5
What other game has Space Michael!?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Danny

Post by Danny » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:04 pm

Fade to Black was the last really annoying game I played when I picked it up on GAME's 5 for £10 deal a little while back. The character was so sluggish and slow (not helpful when enimies are shooting you left right and center) and were were enimies that could instant kill you when you killed them while you were close to them, not to mention the game is flawed serverly in several places to...

Also less said about the doggey controls the better me thinks! :D
Last edited by Danny on Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Danny

Re:

Post by Danny » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:10 pm

James A wrote:Ghosts' & Goblins, because it is just so hard. That or im crap at it.
Nope that game is defo' hard, in fact your considered an expert player if you make it past level 3 only using one credit!