What's the most annoying game you've played, and why?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

achromic

What's the most annoying game you've played, and why?

Post by achromic » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:57 pm

First post on the forum... okay, that out of the way, now on with the rest of the stuff.

Okay, what's the most annoying game you've played on any system, and why?

To start it off, I'll mention mine (otherwise it would look pretty silly!):
Mystic Quest for the Gameboy. The reason that I'm classifiying it as the most annoying game I've played is due to the fact that I bought it about, oh, 16 years ago, and I still haven't finished it!
It was only sometime last year that I managed to break the 50% barrier. I know that some of you out there will say that there are walkthroughs for the game, but I say 'Hah! I know! They're annoying, and so is the game!!!'

The game is annoying, but to be honest, I love it to bits. The first of the Final Fantasy games on the GB (if it isn't, I'm sure to find out). And it's the best one out of them all (don't care if someone disagrees).

So, what's yours?
Achromic -

If it's not in stock, you really don't want it!

stigodump

Post by stigodump » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:13 pm

Diddy Kong Racing on the N64.

I'm not sure whereabouts in the game it is but you have a boss race about midway through the game that's ridiculously hard. I've been stuck on it since purchasing it when it first came out and got to that section without too much trouble but never got past it.

Up until then I had played the N64 nearly every day but that section in that game completely put me off the N64. I'd clocked Goldeneye on the hardest level and got most of the cheats through beating it in a certain time on whatever difficulty but Diddy just totally put me of the machine.

As a result I've hardly played Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong 64 and Zelda.
All great games but every time I pick up the pad a shiver comes down my spine as I recall the number of hours spent trying to beat that bloody boss in Diddy.
Last edited by stigodump on Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stigodump

Post by stigodump » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:14 pm

Oh and I should say hello and welcome to the forum.
:)

achromic

Post by achromic » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:18 pm

Thanks stigodump! :D
Achromic -

If it's not in stock, you really don't want it!

merman

Post by merman » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:15 am

Milk Race on the C64. Get knocked off your bike and 9 times out of 10 you will then be run over by the giant Lego car, making it impossible to complete a stage...

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:23 am

Rise of the robots - SNES, if you don't know why you need help!

the last REALLY annoying game I played has to be Predator Concrete Jungle (xbox) - why? because the control system is completely inept and possibly designed for use by small carbon breathing creatures that scurry about by underwater thermal vents (black smokers if you will)

Ps

Anyone want to buy a mint copy of Predator Concrete Jungle for xbox? a great game with easy to use controls :roll:

ScruffyKong

Re:

Post by ScruffyKong » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:51 am

stigodump wrote:Diddy Kong Racing on the N64.

I'm not sure whereabouts in the game it is but you have a boss race about midway through the game that's ridiculously hard. I've been stuck on it since purchasing it when it first came out and got to that section without too much trouble but never got past it.

Up until then I had played the N64 nearly every day but that section in that game completely put me off the N64. I'd clocked Goldeneye on the hardest level and got most of the cheats through beating it in a certain time on whatever difficulty but Diddy just totally put me of the machine.

As a result I've hardly played Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong 64 and Zelda.
All great games but every time I pick up the pad a shiver comes down my spine as I recall the number of hours spent trying to beat that bloody boss in Diddy.
My sister finished Diddy Kong Racing, there was some serious tantrums and tears shed over that game. She used to get so wound up and have a complete emotional breakdown over it. She was only in her early teens.

She was always really good at games.
READY
RUN!

ScruffyKong

Post by ScruffyKong » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:54 am

I think the Sandapolis stage in Sonic & Knuckles is the most annoying, slow level ever! I always run out of time on the second act. I haven't played it for years now.

I will probably give it a go again as I have Sonic Mega Collection on the cube.

Sonic 3 locked on to Sonic & Knuckles - The Ultimate super duper long Sonic Game.
READY
RUN!

Hungry Horace

Re:

Post by Hungry Horace » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:59 am

koopa42 wrote:Rise of the robots - SNES, if you don't know why you need help!
It's not that bad ;)

I picked up Star Ocean: Till the End of Time for the PS2 cheap this weekend. What imbecile decided on such limpid and infuriating voice acting? That was right to the back of the cupboard after an hour.

I'll nominate the early Resident Evil games. Superb, tense games; pathetic save system. I pay for a game; I choose when I save. I do not want to have to hunt for ribbons and backtrack to save, and nor do I then have to replay the last 30 minutes as I did not have the psychic ability to see a random death and thus save.
Get your own Gamercard Sig.

Wil

Re: What's the most annoying game you've played, and why?

Post by Wil » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:12 am

achromic wrote:
The game is annoying, but to be honest, I love it to bits. The first of the Final Fantasy games on the GB (if it isn't, I'm sure to find out). And it's the best one out of them all (don't care if someone disagrees).

So, what's yours?
Yeah, you're always gonna get some smartass picking you up on this sort of thing :)

The first GB game was Final Fantasy Legend. But none of them were actually Final Fantasy, anyway.

Mystic Quest was actually the first game in the Seiken (Secret of Mana) series. The other three games were all turn-based RPGs called SaGa (which went on to begat the Romancing SaGa series on the SFC). They were all branded FF for us dumb foreigners.

the latest Mana game - Children of Mana - is due out on the DS later this month in Japan.

But I agree, Mystic Quest is a great little game. Like you I've never finished it but it still sits in my bedside cabinet, plugged into a GBLight, if I ever get the hankering for some under the duvet, midnight gaming.

funkym00se

Post by funkym00se » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:47 am

I actually finished Diddy Kong Racing. Probably one of the best games ever written IMHO.

But whoa, what frustration when you got to beat wizzpig and then had to go back through the game in reverse.

Quality.

redleader28

Post by redleader28 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:56 am

Going to have to say E.T on the Atari.

Awful game that even now i still don't know how to play it or even what to do.
Nobody shoots anyone in the face unless you're a hitman or a gamer

kaiserpc

Re:

Post by kaiserpc » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:59 am

stigodump wrote:Diddy Kong Racing on the N64.

you wouldn't have liked beating wizpig the 2nd time then, he was twice as hard when you met him at the end of the game. Yep, I finished Diddy kong as well - far better 1 player game than Mario Kart (but Mario Kart was much better mulitplayer)

And Koopa, I thought your most frustrating game would have been "Mr Do's Castle" from last year's retro survival league - that really annoyed a lot of people (apart from me and Stomach)

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:21 am

Most Sierra adventures-too many unforseen deaths.Plus if you didn't pick up an item earlier in the game,you could get to a stage where you couldn't proceed any further
Lucasarts sorted this out later
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:49 am

Human Race (C64)

Looked great but way too difficult. Needed pixel perfect moves on the first screen.