Was the Spectrum just a big Gameboy?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Cornelius

Post by Cornelius » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:23 am

There's more factors against the assumption. I can find very little in common between the two.

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:49 am

They both had little gremlins on timy bikes powering them, so yeah, they're the same.

Sorry, I thought this was a random statement thread. :D
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:51 am

felgekarp wrote:Does this mean the C64 was a Gamegear and the Amstrad was a Turd?
Fixed :wink:

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:22 am

Sega2006 wrote:
felgekarp wrote:Does this mean the C64 was a Gamegear and the Amstrad was a Turd?
Fixed :wink:
Oi, I think that's out of order - nothing wrong with turds.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:28 am

I like to have a least one good turd a day, I wouldn't want a CPC ever... :)

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:34 am

It must be so hard to maintain interest in retro systems when you hold so much childhood hatred towards one format.

Maybe one day someone will invent time-travel so that you can go back, kill Alan Sugar and live in a time line where the CPC never existed and you can all sleep at night.

Also, those video phone things too...and um...er

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:39 am

Getting back on topic. The Z80 era did result in many Spectrum/CPC assembly coders moving on to work on Gameboy titles in Britain.

pocketmego

Post by pocketmego » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:47 pm

RocketRanger wrote:Getting back on topic. The Z80 era did result in many Spectrum/CPC assembly coders moving on to work on Gameboy titles in Britain.
Now, this is a good response.

Maybe that is what it is. Perhaps the games bare a solid similarity to some of the Spectrum's best due to the programmers and not the hardware per say.

Perhaps many of the people working on Gameboy games (especially those you mentioned) used and programmed on it like they would have on a Spectrum, to some extent.

-Ray

TMR

Post by TMR » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:52 pm

pocketmego wrote:Perhaps many of the people working on Gameboy games (especially those you mentioned) used and programmed on it like they would have on a Spectrum, to some extent.
The huge difference between the two machines means that you simply can't directly transfer those skills from one to the other in that way; anyone moving from the Z80-based machines to the Sharp in the Gameboy had to stop using the shadow registers and the way that the screen and moving objects are handled are very different so that'd need re-learning too. And don't forget that many commercial programmers didn't make a direct leap from a Z80-based 8-bit to the Gameboy, many like the Stampers (for a random example) went via the NES and that hardware is far more akin to the Gameboy on the video front.

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:49 am

TMR wrote:
The huge difference between the two machines means that you simply can't directly transfer those skills from one to the other in that way; anyone moving from the Z80-based machines to the Sharp in the Gameboy had to stop using the shadow registers and the way that the screen and moving objects are handled are very different so that'd need re-learning too. And don't forget that many commercial programmers didn't make a direct leap from a Z80-based 8-bit to the Gameboy, many like the Stampers (for a random example) went via the NES and that hardware is far more akin to the Gameboy on the video front.
Professional programming is about adapting to new environments and technology all the time. I certainly knew some old 8-bit programmers who moved straight on to the Gameboy (Colour in fact) and got it to do amazing things.

TMR

Post by TMR » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:09 am

RocketRanger wrote:Professional programming is about adapting to new environments and technology all the time.
[Nods] That's pretty much where i was going in a somewhat meandering way, i think... =-)
RocketRanger wrote:I certainly knew some old 8-bit programmers who moved straight on to the Gameboy (Colour in fact) and got it to do amazing things.
Yup, and by that point the development houses were really going for getting as many programmers in as possible to meet demand and a couple of the UK-based firms approached me and the rest of Cosine despite us being 6502 bunnies!

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:21 am

RocketRanger wrote: Professional programming is about adapting to new environments and technology all the time. I certainly knew some old 8-bit programmers who moved straight on to the Gameboy (Colour in fact) and got it to do amazing things.
Agreed, but that's only an argument for them being different.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:55 am

RocketRanger wrote:It must be so hard to maintain interest in retro systems when you hold so much childhood hatred towards one format.

Maybe one day someone will invent time-travel so that you can go back, kill Alan Sugar and live in a time line where the CPC never existed and you can all sleep at night.

Also, those video phone things too...and um...er
I don't really have a prob with the CPC - in fact, there are plenty of games which are fantastic and much better than the C64.

Slating one format over another for me is just harmless fun. I know there are some here who take great offense but I don't really see why. I often read stuff about the washed out colours / blocky graphics etc of the C64 but I don't really care.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:05 am

Bub&Bob wrote: Slating one format over another for me is just harmless fun. I know there are some here who take great offense but I don't really see why. I often read stuff about the washed out colours / blocky graphics etc of the C64 but I don't really care.
It only hurts when Opa Opa gets involved...He's so.....mean.... him and his weekday-retro-telly-wotsits gang :roll:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:38 am

RocketRanger wrote:
Bub&Bob wrote: Slating one format over another for me is just harmless fun. I know there are some here who take great offense but I don't really see why. I often read stuff about the washed out colours / blocky graphics etc of the C64 but I don't really care.
It only hurts when Opa Opa gets involved...He's so.....mean.... him and his weekday-retro-telly-wotsits gang :roll:
Opa has a wotsits gang? Can I be Clumsy Colin? Oh, wait, wrong crisps...

;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.