Bad Gaming Habits

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ThatWouldBeYour-

Re:

Post by ThatWouldBeYour- » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:01 pm

StickHead wrote:Sitting in a hunchback inducing slouch position. After marathon games sessions I get up and feel like an old man. I need to get one of those posture correction chairs.

I'd echo this and the swearing thing.

Also, starting games, not bothering to play them past the introductory round, and then coming back to them months later. I've just done this with "Knights of the Old Republic" and "Mass Effect" - two fantastically-rated games - on Steam, because the control system annoys me. The thing is, I know I'll come back to them in a few months' time and be like "WOW why did I give this up?!"

FlyHighKid

Re: Bad Gaming Habits

Post by FlyHighKid » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:32 pm

TheNewMonkey wrote:most things in this thread remind me of myself!

i also tend to buy games and never get round to even opening the seal for weeks/months, by the time i get round to playing them they have more than halved in price, okami & hotd overkill spring to mind, i must of bought them well over 6 months ago.
Oh yes, I have a similar problem. I buy a game, then I open the seal straight away, then it comes out that:
a) I already own the game
b) it's not the game I thought it was
c) I payed WAAAY too much and could've at least sold it sealed to get some money back
Image Image
psj3909 wrote:What next, Scary Movie better than Schindlers List ? What is everyone smoking.

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:59 pm

I have plenty of bad gaming habits. Looks like some have been listed by others though.

- In any game where you're swinging on a rope (ie Tomb Raider) I tend to swing along (back and forth) too. I must look like some nut job. Also, (although I'm not as bad with racing games), I tend to tilt my body left or right when going round bends.
- I swear when I get frustrated
- I punch my leg if I get REALLY frustrated
- I end up having marathon gaming sessions even though I had every intention of only playing for a short while
- I buy games I don't get round to playing for years
- All my games have to be kept in alphabetical order

Andykiwi

Post by Andykiwi » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:31 pm

I have another habit that I don't think was mentioned...

Some games I like to play as well as is possible so that I get the upper hand on the game. To do this I use the best "cheat" available - the save and restore feature, until I have played that section of the game as well is possible.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:56 am

I buy far too many games and end up playing many games for no more than a few hours.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:22 am

Apart from a very small selection of games I never bother to change the difficulty. I'll play it on Normal and then walk away from it afterwards, once it's done. I don't return to them to play them on Legendary or whatever.
There's just way too many games out there for me to have to try to artificially lengthen the titles I already own by replaying them in hard modes.

I tried doing it with the Xbox Achievements, but got fed up after a while. Achievements mean censored. No girls find me any sexier, and that's the only thing that matters in life. The Poom-poom.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:43 am

Commentating. Ive done it since I was 5 and first got a CPC and I still do it to this day. Just yesterday before work when I had a go on UFC 2009 before work I was chuntering under my breath "oh and the knee sends him down, surely hes going to get stopped...."
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:17 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:I'm seeing a lot of myself in this thread :(

...and I also suffer from 'constant reload' syndrome, in that even if I only fire a couple of shots off, I always hit the reload button as soon as the screen's clear of enemies.
I also do this. :oops: It means that older games like Duke Nukem 3d and the Quake series always confuse me because I can't reload. So every time I kill something I get an itch I can't scratch (so to speak).

Machine+Soul

Post by Machine+Soul » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:27 pm

Rinoa wrote:I have plenty of bad gaming habits. Looks like some have been listed by others though.

- In any game where you're swinging on a rope (ie Tomb Raider) I tend to swing along (back and forth) too. I must look like some nut job. Also, (although I'm not as bad with racing games), I tend to tilt my body left or right when going round bends.
- I swear when I get frustrated
- I punch my leg if I get REALLY frustrated
- I end up having marathon gaming sessions even though I had every intention of only playing for a short while
- I buy games I don't get round to playing for years
- All my games have to be kept in alphabetical order
hmm sounds exactly like me especially the swaying. I also lean left or right to help my charcter make those difficult jumps. I tend to throw my controller too, especially in cheap ass bad 3d sonic the hedgehog games.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:30 pm

Rinoa wrote:I tend to tilt my body left or right when going round bends.
I have to admit to doing that as well. Its just force of habit. I always think that by tilting a bit, it would make the car go around the corner a bit better :D
Rinoa wrote:I swear when I get frustrated
I do this a hell of a lot, especially on MW2. The amount of people I've called 'cheating w@nker' is unreal.......
Rinoa wrote:I punch my leg if I get REALLY frustrated
.........can't say I ever done this, though.
Rinoa wrote:I buy games I don't get round to playing for years
Ditto. I've still got a few games I bought last year I haven't played yet :shock:
Rinoa wrote:All my games have to be kept in alphabetical order
I don't put mine in alphabetical order, but recently, I put my PS2 games in order of:
Movie and TV tie-ins, Retro and non retro compilations and others :D

I also throw control pads and joysticks when I get really p!ssed off. I tried throwing my keyboard but fro some reason, I did't fancy breaking my C64 in 1,000 tiny plasticy pieces.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:09 pm

Like many others, saying "For f*cks sake" alot.
Drinking whilst playing very important parts of the game
Turning a game off after getting to angry with it
Relying on walkthroughs to often

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:14 pm

I used to stick my tongue out whilst playing shoot 'em ups.

I don't anymore, but then I don't play many shoot em ups these days :?
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:36 pm

My worst gaming habbit is playing something once and then never again.

Err...other than that it'd be a short temper :lol: some games just really rub me the wrong way, usually because of bad gameplay design more than anything else. I could play a Bullet Hell shmup and be fine because you're supposed to die, but when you fall through a floor or something, I lose it :P

Loftgroover

Post by Loftgroover » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:02 pm

controller smashing....i spend a fortune. really need to stop it.
swearing and moaning too...to anyone watching me sometimes they must think I hate games :lol:

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:47 am

Not a habit per se, but sometimes when Im playing, the wife can appear and start talking about crap, ill try and listen, and in doing so f*ck up an important part of the game. Ill then shout an expletive, to which the wife replies "For gods sake, its only a game", which in turn winds me up even more!