Bad Gaming Habits

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:55 pm

I know I've gone to bed at 4 or 5 in the morning , having to get up for work 3 hours later

When you do wake up after what seems like 5 minutes , the first thought is "What the f*ck was I thinking of?" - then I do it again!

Not had this for a while , until I started gettig into LOTR online
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Ritchardo mkII

Post by Ritchardo mkII » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:59 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:I know I've gone to bed at 4 or 5 in the morning , having to get up for work 3 hours later

When you do wake up after what seems like 5 minutes , the first thought is "What the f*ck was I thinking of?" - then I do it again!

God yeah!

I'm also bad for spending hours cataloguing games - reading everything I can about them and get every opinion I can on it, booting the game up for five minutes, getting bored and switching it off again. Only to do the same thing again with another game.

I've not actually played a game all week but I've spent hours on sites looking for info on them...

Weird.
Am I Not online? Try: www.cpczone.net

will2097

Post by will2097 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:14 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:I know I've gone to bed at 4 or 5 in the morning , having to get up for work 3 hours later

Ah -- playing all night. It's a right of passage FFS. i mean, I sat up all night at Uni playing Dune 1 on the STe, living off of oranges and Skips, I was so tired I can't actually remember what happened -- other than I beat the damned game! I also vaguely remeber listening to 'The Kids in America" on tape. and darkness.

As for bad habits? I chew on my thumb while playing RTSs. I've been playing C&C recently on the PC and my thumb is a blistered mess.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:27 pm

I have a habit in games where you 'set something off' (ie, a big move in Puzzle Fighter, score a goal, or something similar) I'll take one hand off whatever control I'm using and scratch my nose while the aftermath is going on, even though it's not itchy. I remember my old boss used to do something similar (in Puzzle Fighter too, no less) where he would 're-straighten his hairdo' after setting his gems off. Must have looked pretty weird us doing that.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:34 pm

I must admit when accomplishing something 'cool' in the arcade , looking around to see if anyone was watching - usually no-one was :(
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

R Type blood donor

Post by R Type blood donor » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:00 pm

Ritchardo mkII wrote:
R Type blood donor wrote:I Hope I'm not only the one who did this, but I used to find myself in my earlier years being so frustrated by a game I threatened the console with violence if it didn't let me win.

Funnily enough I then always won. Having recently completed Sonic 2 with ease, I can't see why I got so worked up all those years ago.

I'm much more chilled out these days about games, I kinda just accept I'm crap :D
Sadly you're not alone... never actually carried out any violent acts on my computers or consoles (joysticks don't count) but used to threaten my tapes when they wouldn't load. Many is the tape that got bounced off my bedroom wall for refusing to load. Bizarrely it had a pretty hefty success rate.

My g/f has taken that a stage further in the past though when she set about her brother's Amiga with a well placed screwdriver to the disc drive.

Naturally I keep her at distance from my collection...
Wise man! :D
It's a me...Mario!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:06 pm

Ritchardo mkII wrote:I've not actually played a game all week but I've spent hours on sites looking for info on them...
I'm bad for that. Nip onto the net to check a quick review of a mainstream game, 3 hours later I'm reading about some completely unconnected game and how it was developed by shaolin dwarves in a minivan in York running a Jupiter Ace off a cabbage fuelled generator.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:34 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
I'm bad for that. Nip onto the net to check a quick review of a mainstream game, 3 hours later I'm reading about some completely unconnected game and how it was developed by shaolin dwarves in a minivan in York running a Jupiter Ace off a cabbage fuelled generator.
Sounds like you been on Wikipedia again... :)

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:15 am

SirClive wrote:Sitting on my feet whilst playing.
LOL I thought I was the only one to do this, I'm getting too old now though, gives me pins'n-needles :lol:

DrBlue

Post by DrBlue » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:30 am

I am also an easy setter (terrible at games despite the fact that it is my favourite passtime).

I also have a bizzare form of gaming tourettes - swear stringing. Where several sweary words are strung together (f*cky-b*m-t*ts or c*nty-sh*t-w*nk being particular favourites) in fact it's become so bad i'm relegated to game playing upstairs away from the ears of my young son or my girlfriends visiting family.

Saving a game when i get stuck and then "never getting round to" attempting to get past that point.

Saying "I don't really like that game" when my girlfriend kicks my proverbial ass at it (or claiming "what you just did isn't normally allowed in multiplayer"). Damn women.

Andykiwi

Re: Bad Gaming Habits

Post by Andykiwi » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:37 pm

I play for too long sometimes. If I really get into a game I can play it non-stop for 10 hours easily.
A couple of times I played for 24 hours solid, with only a couple of 5-minute breaks.

Also, with many games, I like to ensure that I have seen EVERYTHING the game has to offer - every possible mission or variation. I don't want to miss a thing.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:27 pm

I'm seeing a lot of myself in this thread :(

One of the worst habits I've got is constantly sitting there with the controller in hand, even if the console is switched off and I'm just watching TV.

Whilst playing games, I do tend to swear a lot playing single player stuff (although I'm usually pretty calm in multiplayer, and just listen to other people ranting most of the time when I'm online and laugh at them), also have a bad habit of leaning left and right when steering on certain games....on certain levels like the Asteroid Belt on Starwing, I've actually been known to try and duck out of the way when objects come flying towards the screen :oops: :oops: and I also suffer from 'constant reload' syndrome, in that even if I only fire a couple of shots off, I always hit the reload button as soon as the screen's clear of enemies.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

FlyHighKid

Post by FlyHighKid » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:30 pm

I spend far too much time reading people's opinions about games, making ofs, reviews etc. instead of playing the actual games :/ Sometimes when I have 3 hours spare time I end up sitting here and on Youtube for 2.5h and then playing a game for 30 mins. Or play it for 5 minutes then get bored and come back here.

EDIT: I just realised I'm doing it right now! :evil:
Last edited by FlyHighKid on Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
psj3909 wrote:What next, Scary Movie better than Schindlers List ? What is everyone smoking.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:36 pm

I don't think there's any of us wouldn't do that if our wives let us away with it. Certainly when I lived alone, all day gaming sessions from 8am through to the following 4am were quite common at a weekend.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:51 pm

most things in this thread remind me of myself!

i also tend to buy games and never get round to even opening the seal for weeks/months, by the time i get round to playing them they have more than halved in price, okami & hotd overkill spring to mind, i must of bought them well over 6 months ago.
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816