Emulation Vs Original Carts

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
Cornelius
Posts: 597
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:28 am
Location: Cork, Ireland
Contact:

Post by Cornelius » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:06 pm

I love playing my Game Boy Advance carts through the Gamecube's Game Boy Player. I enjoy that much more than PC emulation. I hold onto my N64 carts too because PC emulation just doesn't fully replace it for me.

User avatar
bensonrad
Posts: 3570
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:17 am
Location: Seaford, Sussex

Post by bensonrad » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:21 am

I would say emulation has been a great help in me buying more games. Checking out a game through emulation has encouraged me to head out and track the ones that I liked. If the game was awful then I just delete and strike it off the want list.

Must say nothing beats sticking in a cart in the snes and playing away using the controller. Emulation just does not give that feel.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

User avatar
Shin_Gouki
Posts: 1462
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:11 am
Location: Shadow Moses Island, Fox Archipelago

Post by Shin_Gouki » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:06 am

The number of times I've used emulation is only in double digits. I hate playing games without a controller (can't be arsed buying one for the PC) and the screen of my laptop is pretty small too. Plus I collect, so without the actual game, it's just not the same.
真・豪鬼

nwosteve
Posts: 498
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:15 pm
Location: lowestoft suffolk

Post by nwosteve » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:26 am

Opa-Opa wrote:
vintage_system wrote:
Opa-Opa wrote:
The real thing will always be better for actual sitting down and playing though.
I guess it depends on what system. I mean for SNES and NES and old SEGA stuff i really don't see much difference, if any, in the ports. Thats why I make the point about the controllers. Coz really if you're sitting down to play the games, man, all you need is a controller and a screen.
If thats what you belive then fair enough.

I play my games on a TV - an old TV, not a Computer monitor, that makes a difference.
I use real controllers, real hardware and real games when ever possible which does make a difference to a real gamer.
I guess a casual gamer or fanboy wouldn't know enough about the hobby to understand the way in which audio played using the real hardware can sound different to audio played through a piece of software pretending to be hardware for example..?

Don't get me wrong though, I love emulation and all it has to offer, but I prefer to do my serious gaming on the real thing.
Very much agreed. NOT a fan of emulation but appreciate the role it plays in retro gaming.

With emulation, you need to get away from the technology that you are using to play the game and get back to how it was originally played - forget the power of the Wii or X-Box 360, think about how it looked on it's own system. That is how gaming should be.

If you want flat screen, hi-def, mega fast and flashy tunes, buy a PS3 and play on that.

Imagine what a non retro fan would think if they saw you playing Manic Miner on a 2007 tv through emulation. They wouldn't understand.
"You're all going to die." MK3 promo posters

nwosteve
Posts: 498
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:15 pm
Location: lowestoft suffolk

Post by nwosteve » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:28 am

Shin_Gouki wrote:The number of times I've used emulation is only in double digits. I hate playing games without a controller (can't be arsed buying one for the PC) and the screen of my laptop is pretty small too. Plus I collect, so without the actual game, it's just not the same.
And, yes, also very good points. People are horders and love to collect (me as well.) How many threads on the forum are about peoples' collections?
"You're all going to die." MK3 promo posters

User avatar
dr_bob
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:44 am
Location: Dublin,Ireland

Post by dr_bob » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:27 am

I was a fan of emulation , but I've found its better to play the game on the original system.However with an emulator you can have access to lots of games very quickly , and with short loading times too.
Lately I've been messing about with connecting up old computers to a PC and playing games that way , its sort of the best of both worlds.
The atari 8-bit one (cable's called sio2pc and the software is APE) is prety easy to get going and fairly forgiving.The C64 one (cable:XE1541 and software 64hdd) is a bit harder to get working , and is a bit picky about how your pc is set up.

User avatar
rupert
Posts: 871
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:05 pm
Location: manchester, england
Contact:

Post by rupert » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:20 am

cart.

this is a daft question - emulation is just that. Nothing is better than the real thing.

psj3809
Posts: 18866
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:28 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
rossi46 wrote:I collect the originals because I want to have them as well as play them. Why else would anyone in their right mind stay up late watching Sega Saturn The Crow, The Incredible Hulk and Johnny Bazookatone on Ebay, ready to jump in with some last minute bidding? :)

Not because I want to play them, that's for sure. No, they'll look good on my shelf as part of a complete collection. Emulators are great for trying stuff out, but for me, they tend to devalue gaming.
agreed , in the same way that C90s devalued taped-based games in the 80s
I dont think emulation devalues gaming. If anything its help rejuvenate gaming.

Back in the late 90's emulators were appearing and helping keeping the scene alive. Some hardcore fans might have still been playing games on their old C64 or Speccy but more and more people were using emulators for say the Speccy/C64 on their new PC's

Why is there a mag called Retro Gamer ? I would say because of emulation, the last few years has been a rise and rise in emulators to be used on tons of different systems, theres now gadgets where you can use them for emulation (Pocket PC, GP32, GP2X, PSP). Emulation is huge and its turned full circle as in lots of companies are releasing retro compilations.

Is there a lot of money to be made because of a few diehards who still used their old machines back in the late 90's/early 00's ? Nope i would say because of the amount of people using emulators to get to love/enjoy these old systems again.

Like i say its turned the other way round where many people because of emulation now buy the original system and find games for it. On the other hand nowadays with wife/not enough room etc its just not possible for me to have a games room or have tons of systems.

I totally enjoy having 18 or so systems emulated in the palm of my hand on a little gaming device. On the other hand i do love my MAME machine i had built !

But its thanks to emulation we have 1) Retro Gamer 2) more and more people getting back into buying the original hardware.

User avatar
Sabreman
Posts: 859
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:09 pm
Location: The Diabolical Demon Director
Contact:

Post by Sabreman » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:37 am

rupert wrote:cart.

this is a daft question - emulation is just that. Nothing is better than the real thing.
I disagree to some extent. Of course it depends on your definition of 'better' and whether you're talking about the tactile experience of the machine or the performance of the games, but the fact that I can save an enormous amount of storage space, save progress anywhere I want in an RPG, or almost completely cut out loading times on tapes and discs definitely makes emulation better in some ways.

User avatar
Opa-Opa
Posts: 4304
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:35 pm
Location: Kent UK
Contact:

Post by Opa-Opa » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:01 pm

Sabreman wrote: the fact that I can save an enormous amount of storage space, save progress anywhere I want in an RPG, or almost completely cut out loading times on tapes and discs definitely makes emulation better in some ways.
So your saying Emulation is better because you can cheat..?

User avatar
Sabreman
Posts: 859
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:09 pm
Location: The Diabolical Demon Director
Contact:

Post by Sabreman » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:08 pm

Opa-Opa wrote:
Sabreman wrote: the fact that I can save an enormous amount of storage space, save progress anywhere I want in an RPG, or almost completely cut out loading times on tapes and discs definitely makes emulation better in some ways.
So your saying Emulation is better because you can cheat..?
That's a very pat interpretation of what I said. If I'd said "I like emulation because in RPGs I can save-state before every fight and decision and then go back if it doesn't work out" then yeah, you could consider that cheating.

I didn't say that though. I'm talking about being far from a savepoint when something else comes up that you have to do, as has happened to me many times when playing big games.

User avatar
Opa-Opa
Posts: 4304
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:35 pm
Location: Kent UK
Contact:

Post by Opa-Opa » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:13 pm

Sabreman wrote:
That's a very pat interpretation of what I said. If I'd said "I like emulation because in RPGs I can save-state before every fight and decision and then go back if it doesn't work out" then yeah, you could consider that cheating.

I didn't say that though. I'm talking about being far from a savepoint when something else comes up that you have to do, as has happened to me many times when playing big games.
Yup, which is cheating...
If you can't finish the game without relying on save points that the game designers never put in the game your cheating..
If something comes up while your halfway through a level thats tough, don't start a level if you dont have the time to finish it, or if something does "come up" then start the level over again later, thats how real gamers do it. ;)

User avatar
Sabreman
Posts: 859
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:09 pm
Location: The Diabolical Demon Director
Contact:

Post by Sabreman » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:31 pm

Nonsense! What's the difference between save-stating, turning the machine off before going out and picking up where you left off later, or pausing the game for several hours while you go out?

One saves your machine from blowing up and saves money on your power bills, and the other makes you a proper gamer.

:lol:

User avatar
Opa-Opa
Posts: 4304
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:35 pm
Location: Kent UK
Contact:

Post by Opa-Opa » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:37 pm

Sabreman wrote:Nonsense! What's the difference between save-stating, turning the machine off before going out and picking up where you left off later, or pausing the game for several hours while you go out?

One saves your machine from blowing up and saves money on your power bills, and the other makes you a proper gamer.

:lol:
If thats how you want to justify cheating thats fine with me, what ever helps you sleep at night.

But a real gamer would turn the game off, start again from the last real save point and reach the same point in the game you did before you left but have a higher score and better inventory because of the extra practise.

User avatar
rupert
Posts: 871
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:05 pm
Location: manchester, england
Contact:

Post by rupert » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:23 pm

Sabreman wrote:
rupert wrote:cart.

this is a daft question - emulation is just that. Nothing is better than the real thing.
I disagree to some extent. Of course it depends on your definition of 'better' and whether you're talking about the tactile experience of the machine or the performance of the games, but the fact that I can save an enormous amount of storage space, save progress anywhere I want in an RPG, or almost completely cut out loading times on tapes and discs definitely makes emulation better in some ways.
Well the title didnt say tapes and discs, getting rid of load times is better, perhaps (for example) using a micro disc system for the Spectrum would be better practice then PC emulation though.

Ive just never been a fan of emulation really. I prefer using the proper stuff. As for save states.. well thats not how the game was intended to be played.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests