Robotnik/Eggman

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

pocketmego

Robotnik/Eggman

Post by pocketmego » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:35 am

I missed the Sonic Games on the Saturn and Dreamcast and to date they stand as some of the only Sonic Games that I haven't played.

So, I'm more than a bit confused about the name change of Sonic's bad guy from Doctor Robotnik to Doctor Eggman. Was it ever explained in the games themselves?

What was the ACTUAL non-game reason for the change?

Why do they refer to Metal Sonic's creator as Doctor Robotnik in Sonic Rivals?

Anyone got the skinny on this?

-Ray

MikeHaggar

Re: Robotnik/Eggman

Post by MikeHaggar » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:27 am

pocketmego wrote:I missed the Sonic Games on the Saturn
Didn't miss a lot there.

The Master

Post by The Master » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:31 am

I think they refer to him as both on Sonic DX...

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:33 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Adventure#Production
One of the biggest changes to the localized script was related to the main antagonist, Dr. Robotnik. He had been referred to as "Dr. Ivo Robotnik" in the west and "Dr. Eggman" in Japan, but Sonic Adventure is the game which actually made the name Eggman well-known in North America and Europe. Sonic Adventure tried to merge both names so that his name so that Dr. Ivo Robotnik (his Western name) was his real name, while Dr. Eggman (his Japanese name) was his nickname used by Sonic and friends. This was also attempted in some other Sonic games, most notably the English manual of Sonic Drift 2. This was not in the original Japanese script, however, and the game continued to call him Dr. Eggman. However, Japan would eventually adopt the western name as his real name; in Sonic Adventure 2, it is revealed that "Robotnik" is his surname in Japan, while "Eggman" is really an alias or nickname. The name Dr. Eggman is used much more often now, as Robotnik now usually refers to Prof. Gerald Robotnik or Maria Robotnik.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Egg ... variations

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:38 am

Yep, it would make you lose complete faith in Sonic if you played the Saturn version. I personally lost faith some time ago seeing later Sonic games being released by those who did not give a damn about keeping his Megadrive importance.

The Master

Post by The Master » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:44 am

Is Sonic Rivals on the PSP any good? Been thinking of getting that. Is it a bit like Pac-Man World 3, except with (duh) Sonic instead of Paccers?

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:40 pm

The Master wrote:Is Sonic Rivals on the PSP any good? Been thinking of getting that. Is it a bit like Pac-Man World 3, except with (duh) Sonic instead of Paccers?
Once you get into it it's really quite addictive.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

pocketmego

Post by pocketmego » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:48 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote:
The Master wrote:Is Sonic Rivals on the PSP any good? Been thinking of getting that. Is it a bit like Pac-Man World 3, except with (duh) Sonic instead of Paccers?
Once you get into it it's really quite addictive.
Indeed.

Easily it's Sonic's best game in QUITE a long time. What kills me are all these game reviews saying that the level design is frustrating and that there are too many traps and ways to die. These are people who haven't OBVIOUSLY played the original Maega Drive Sonic games in a LONG time.

Thanks for the answers, guys, much appreciated.

-Ray