What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:10 am

sonic91 wrote:
SirClive wrote:They are collectors editions (did I mention that?), I bought them for the extras. I will install my old copy this week as I am off work :)
Not keeping them mint, then? :wink:
Don't you mean FACTORY SEALED :lol:

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:53 am

woody.cool wrote:
sonic91 wrote:
SirClive wrote:They are collectors editions (did I mention that?), I bought them for the extras. I will install my old copy this week as I am off work :)
Not keeping them mint, then? :wink:
Don't you mean FACTORY SEALED :lol:
:lol:
Fight the good fight of faith,
Lay hold on Eternal life.

-1 Timothy 6:12-

will2097

Post by will2097 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:25 am

Call of Duty 4. It's OK. I've done a couple of levels - I'm not sure what all the fuss is about...

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:30 am

will2097 wrote:Call of Duty 4. It's OK. I've done a couple of levels - I'm not sure what all the fuss is about...
Really? For me it's one of the Games of the year. It's dripping in atmosphere and even on Regular difficulty it's a challenge.

As for me Assassins Creed this week. Have been thinking about getting Guitar Hero 3 and Mass Effect but I really need to finish AC and Ratchet that I got from the other week.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:26 pm

The Last Ginja wrote:
will2097 wrote:Call of Duty 4. It's OK. I've done a couple of levels - I'm not sure what all the fuss is about...
Really? For me it's one of the Games of the year. It's dripping in atmosphere and even on Regular difficulty it's a challenge.

As for me Assassins Creed this week. Have been thinking about getting Guitar Hero 3 and Mass Effect but I really need to finish AC and Ratchet that I got from the other week.
I finished Assassins Creed this week, and really, really liked it.

CoD4 reminds me of SWAT3 on the PC. "Standby!" "Break, breach and clear" "Fashbang!" etc... It's good, don't get me wrong - but like Halo 3 I take it or leave it. It's notfloating my boat.

I am looking forward to Uncharted. :D

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:32 pm

UN Squadron on SNES
Dragon: Bruce Lee Story on Jaguar
Thats what you buy for cheap when you bored on e-bay.

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:33 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
woody.cool wrote:Street Fighter EX 3 (PS2) and Soul Calibur 2 (PS2) :D

Both superb games - I've never player SFEX3 before but it's rather good considering the previous 3D Street Fighter games.

As for Soul Calibur 2 - I already have this on the cube but wanted the PS2 version as well for the different platform-specific character.
EX3 always got a lot of undue flack, the games nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. Granted its not amazing but its still fun and playable.
That said I managed to stumble on a Japanese copy last year and the difference in speed is really noticeable, made me enjoy it all over again!
Good to see others feel the same way about EX3!

This week my lovely wife bought me Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition - loving it.
真・豪鬼

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:50 am

Shin_Gouki wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:
woody.cool wrote:Street Fighter EX 3 (PS2) and Soul Calibur 2 (PS2) :D

Both superb games - I've never player SFEX3 before but it's rather good considering the previous 3D Street Fighter games.

As for Soul Calibur 2 - I already have this on the cube but wanted the PS2 version as well for the different platform-specific character.
EX3 always got a lot of undue flack, the games nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. Granted its not amazing but its still fun and playable.
That said I managed to stumble on a Japanese copy last year and the difference in speed is really noticeable, made me enjoy it all over again!
Good to see others feel the same way about EX3!

This week my lovely wife bought me Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition - loving it.
My only 2 problems with it was the fact it was slightly to easy at times and the fact it didn't have a proper arcade mode (like EX for the Playstation)

Tag team mode was cool though, as was the music in Vs mode (like Garudas and Zangiefs), and some of the original characters were a lot of fun (Garuda, Shadow Geist, C. Jack and Rosso).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:31 am

Dudley wrote:
SirClive wrote:
Dudley wrote:Formula 1 and Motorstorm for PS3.

There is other implied news there too.
Welcome to the gang Dudley :)

As you know my view on driving games only too well, I'd be interested in knowing whether you think I should get Formula 1.
From a simulation perspective I'm very impressed so far. It is, at a rough measurement, 80 billion times better than anything Sony's done on F1 since 1997. (Although I've only done 1 actual race, I spent it in a pretty convincing fight with my own teammate which was a revelation in itself)

I think though that it's a game that'll need effort, the fun is likely to come from career mode and that means accepting this is F1 and you will do 9 test sessions before you see a race. If you're not a series fan you're likely to find it pretty thin as a game.

There is a demo, the impression you get from that if you turn off the aids (recommended, it's not THAT difficult a drive so long as you avoid overusing the kerbs and it feels VERY wooly with them on) would be a good indicator. It's £24.99 used in GAME fwiw.
Just played the demo and really enjoyed it. Thats a definate purchase for me later this week.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:41 am

Got Magician Lord on the way for my Neo Geo (with more to hopefully follow)
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:00 am

ShadowMan wrote:Got Magician Lord on the way for my Neo Geo (with more to hopefully follow)
Always wanted to play that game since it was released and after all those years I finally played it on MAME (it's coming to the VC I think) it's a great little game. Even though it was one of the earlier AES/MVS games it still looks good

xandmatt

Post by xandmatt » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:21 pm

I bought The Movies and so far it appears that four days have vanished when I swear that I bought it an hour ago...

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:49 pm

Probably buying Guitar Hero III on the Wii today.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:10 pm

I just can't decide which version of Guitar Hero to get. Anyone know what the respective benefits are of the PS3/360/Wii versions?

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:32 pm

Loads of £1.99 SNES games from Playime, Sheffield. I'm sure some are rubbish but they're each less than a pint.