What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:22 am

ShadowMan wrote:
The Last Ginja wrote:MGS Twin Snakes Gamecube
Skate 360
Orange Box 360
Spiderman 1,2 and 3 BluRay

Not that I've got any of them yet stupid postal strike.
Is the Orange Box out yet? I though its release was this Friday (Thats what my preorder says)
Yeah Friday, but as I've preordered it I put it down as already bought.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:32 am

The Last Ginja wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:
The Last Ginja wrote:MGS Twin Snakes Gamecube
Skate 360
Orange Box 360
Spiderman 1,2 and 3 BluRay

Not that I've got any of them yet stupid postal strike.
Is the Orange Box out yet? I though its release was this Friday (Thats what my preorder says)
Yeah Friday, but as I've preordered it I put it down as already bought.
Same here, getting it Friday to :D
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:24 pm

The Batsugun and the Duke Nukem finally arrived!! :D

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:15 pm

gmintyfresh wrote:The Batsugun and the Duke Nukem finally arrived!! :D

so it finally got to you! Hows Batsugun play?
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:02 am

Well has to be said the short answer is great!! The first thing I noticed was the fact that the whole game is more or less in English and is very import friendly. The starting menu reveals a sound test, the usual difficulty/control settings, and arrange mode of the game (I haven’t checked this out yet). Batsugun is a joy to play, the game isn’t bogged down with an over complex control system (one button fires the other button is the smart bomb) and the graphics are very nice, the bosses being particularly big and detailed. The sound is amazing with a driving score that matches the action and big meaty effects that convey the onscreen destruction perfectly. Now game play, in short quite insane your ship powers up to ridiculous levels with the screen filled up with your bullets, it truly is stunning the sense of power that you get from your attacks – the Saturn handles all those sprites admirably with absolutely no slowdown. The enemies are quite tricky little buggers too they appear on screen very quickly and fire a volley of shots off, you really need your best reactions to survive some of these attacks. Even on easy it’s quite hard but it’s fun and I kept going back to it, I can really see how this game influenced the Manic Shooter genre, with the Donpachi series owing this game much debt. Loads of fun and defiantly one of the great Saturn shooters.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:59 am

Sounds fantastic, I'll have to get a copy for myself one day when I'm not chasing after Megaman!
Thanks for the info on Wartech for the 360 as well, found that Gameplay had a copy for £15 which should be with me soon (damn post)
Love your saturn Shmup collection, mine consists of Radiant Silvergun, Soukourhentai(or however you spell it) and Battle Garegga.
I've got a couple of nice bits on the horizon as well, hopefully things go my way and I get them soon.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:07 am

ShadowMan wrote:Sounds fantastic, I'll have to get a copy for myself one day when I'm not chasing after Megaman!
Thanks for the info on Wartech for the 360 as well, found that Gameplay had a copy for £15 which should be with me soon (damn post)
Love your saturn Shmup collection, mine consists of Radiant Silvergun, Soukourhentai(or however you spell it) and Battle Garegga.
I've got a couple of nice bits on the horizon as well, hopefully things go my way and I get them soon.
Ha so I’ll expect a message about you getting Batsugun this time next year!!! 

Nice one mate you’ll have to tell me what Senko is like, after Dead Rising that’s game a plan to get soon

I think Sexy Parodius is going to be my next Saturn purchase the animation in it looks nothing short of amazing. Impressive Saturn shooter collection mate, you should try Layer Section it’s cheap and one of the best shooters I’ve ever played.

I might get back to my Megadrive shooter collection next, I’ve got most of the good shooters that came out but some of them are really shoddy versions of games I love and need replacing (my PAL version of Truxton with a Jap instruction book springs to mind!!).

Good luck with the purchases mate, I've got a speculative bid on something very special myself at the moment.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:22 am

Finally got hold of a copy of Donkey Konga so I can try out those bongos I picked up 4 months ago.
Splink!

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:45 am

felgekarp wrote:Finally got hold of a copy of Donkey Konga so I can try out those bongos I picked up 4 months ago.
Ha that is a fun game especially with beers and mates!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:42 am

gmintyfresh wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:Sounds fantastic, I'll have to get a copy for myself one day when I'm not chasing after Megaman!
Ha so I’ll expect a message about you getting Batsugun this time next year!!! 

Nice one mate you’ll have to tell me what Senko is like, after Dead Rising that’s game a plan to get soon

I think Sexy Parodius is going to be my next Saturn purchase the animation in it looks nothing short of amazing. Impressive Saturn shooter collection mate, you should try Layer Section it’s cheap and one of the best shooters I’ve ever played.

I might get back to my Megadrive shooter collection next, I’ve got most of the good shooters that came out but some of them are really shoddy versions of games I love and need replacing (my PAL version of Truxton with a Jap instruction book springs to mind!!).

Good luck with the purchases mate, I've got a speculative bid on something very special myself at the moment.
Good call on Dead Rising. My joint favortite 360 game of last year, the achivements and sheer freedom of the game made for many wasted hours, that and all the megaman items.
I was lucky enough to get quite a few Megadrive Shooters when I got my Nomad last year which ranged from incredible Hellfire, Xenon 2 to the down right bad - XDR!

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:50 am

Good call on Dead Rising. My joint favortite 360 game of last year, the achivements and sheer freedom of the game made for many wasted hours, that and all the megaman items.
I was lucky enough to get quite a few Megadrive Shooters when I got my Nomad last year which ranged from incredible Hellfire, Xenon 2 to the down right bad - XDR!
Played it round at my mates, I love the sheer amount of enemies in the game.

Man Xenon 2 is bad the Master System version is even worse, it's like the ship flying through treacle, how rubbish!!! Thunderforce 4 is the one I want to get, my copy loads only after about 10 attempts!!!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:18 pm

I got thunderforce 2 and 4 for the combined price of £4.99 at gamestation with manuals and boxes, it was my lucky day!
The other game for the 360 that really pushes characters on screen at 1 time is 99 nights. 100's of enemies that you can tear through with 1 attack, really funny just to see the combo meter continuing to count up even after you've stopped attacking!

And I've just managed to get a USA 3DO FZ1 with 5 games for £34, hopefully the resident 3DO experts here can recommend me with the good games to pick up for the system. And is Road Rash for the Saturn an inferior port of the 3DO version or about the same?

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:03 am

finally bought Ghosbusters for the speccy last night. its the RICHOCET re-release so it should work......and all for 2p with 99p postage!!!!

who ya gonna call? MEEEEEE!
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:40 am

ShadowMan wrote:I got thunderforce 2 and 4 for the combined price of £4.99 at gamestation with manuals and boxes, it was my lucky day!
The other game for the 360 that really pushes characters on screen at 1 time is 99 nights. 100's of enemies that you can tear through with 1 attack, really funny just to see the combo meter continuing to count up even after you've stopped attacking!

And I've just managed to get a USA 3DO FZ1 with 5 games for £34, hopefully the resident 3DO experts here can recommend me with the good games to pick up for the system. And is Road Rash for the Saturn an inferior port of the 3DO version or about the same?
£4.99!! Well done you must have left the shop chucking maniacally!!

Seen quite a nice copy of Guardian Heroes in my local Gamestation for £25, I'm seriously considering it.

Bought a Hori arcade stick for my Saturn yesterday hopefully it'll be here for the weekend.

Might have to check 99 knights out sounds a little like Dynasty Warriors?

My mate had a panasonic 3DO back in the day, a nice system it's a shame it was so expensive it might have done better otherwise. It still has the definative version of return fire and need for speed on it.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:46 am

gmintyfresh wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:I got thunderforce 2 and 4 for the combined price of £4.99 at gamestation with manuals and boxes, it was my lucky day!

£4.99!! Well done you must have left the shop chucking maniacally!!

Seen quite a nice copy of Guardian Heroes in my local Gamestation for £25, I'm seriously considering it.

Bought a Hori arcade stick for my Saturn yesterday hopefully it'll be here for the weekend.

Might have to check 99 knights out sounds a little like Dynasty Warriors?

My mate had a panasonic 3DO back in the day, a nice system it's a shame it was so expensive it might have done better otherwise. It still has the definative version of return fire and need for speed on it.
As well as both TF games I got both Toejam and Earl games as well, came out to less than £10 for 4 games (I was laughing at the time as well!)
Good price on GH, usually about £10 more for a Japanese copy and a little more still for a english version. If it helps the game is insanely addictive! I also have one of the Hori sticks for the saturn. Built really sturdy, really have to break it out again for more Xmen VS SF.
And yes, 99 Nights is like Dynasty Warriors (not as good in my opinion). If you like the genre you'll love it, if not then you wont. Its just awesome to do a super attack and see a sea of bodies fly though the air!

NFS and Return Fire sound good, I know NFS is worth getting as I have a load of old magazine reviews on it, though return fire is new to me! (Thanks for the info)