What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:07 pm

will2097 wrote:3DOs are 97% region free. However, some games ; soccer kid, power kingdoms and rise of the robots are region controlled and some Japanese games need the Kanji font which the PAL/American machines didn't have.

Having said that, the speed difference between Street Fighter 2 and Samurai Shodown on a PAL 50hz compared to NTSC 60hz makes the difference between the games being OK and pretty damn good. Especially SS.
Thanks for the reply, NTSC it is, Japanese if I can find one. I don't think I'll loose to much sleep over not being able to play Rise of the Robots!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:08 am

Just picked up Yoshi's Island DS for a shiny £10 from Virgin, I'm stunned!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:53 am

gmintyfresh wrote:Just picked up Yoshi's Island DS for a shiny £10 from Virgin, I'm stunned!
Let me know what you think of it, I got it for £15 a few months ago and was ultimately disapointed with it. Good game, some great levels in the middle/end of the game but the first 2 worlds feel like 1 huge training level, and I'm not even going to comment on the music :evil:
The whole Baby selection is awesome though, stunning graphics, I just wish my 2 favorite babies were used more.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:54 am

ShadowMan wrote:
gmintyfresh wrote:Just picked up Yoshi's Island DS for a shiny £10 from Virgin, I'm stunned!
Let me know what you think of it, I got it for £15 a few months ago and was ultimately disapointed with it. Good game, some great levels in the middle/end of the game but the first 2 worlds feel like 1 huge training level, and I'm not even going to comment on the music :evil:
The whole Baby selection is awesome though, stunning graphics, I just wish my 2 favorite babies were used more.
I have mixed feelings about this game ultimately it’s a great game and lots of fun. I love the graphics everything has been given a polish and looks even more hand drawn, the sound was a slight let down as there isn’t a memorable track in the game unfortunately. The controls work perfectly in the game allowing for use the dual screen – which is a feature that’s used amazingly, it’s great finding those little secrets that can be found by looking just that little bit further up and down that the screen allows. The touch screen is used only when needed and extra content to accommodate the screen is not bolted on for the sake of it. If you’ve played the first game and loved it this is the perfect continuation, and that’s also slightly it’s weakness it’s all a little bit familiar. Saying that though I’ve enjoyed every second of the game, I love the pace of the game and having no time limit encourages you to explore. Great bonus games too, I like the fact that when you close the DS and open it Yoshi shouts “Yoshiâ€

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:31 am

Ah, after reading your last post I remember 1 thing that almost kills it for me, its the dual screen aspect of it. Its all good until it expects you to shoot things that reside between the 2 screens (To high for the bottom, to low for the top)

Late in the game this became almost a joke to me. I decided just to enjoy the game and not both with the 100% challenge and I think I enjoyed the game all the more.

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:23 am

In the last two days I picked up a 3DO and CD-I from my local Gamestation - Both came with games and all the leads (£50 and £35 respectively):

(Above) - 3DO and games

(Above) - CD-I and games

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:57 am

LeeT wrote:In the last two days I picked up a 3DO and CD-I from my local Gamestation - Both came with games and all the leads (£50 and £35 respectively):

(Above) - 3DO and games
I see you've also got Star Control 2, so I suppose your forum visits will become quite infrequent in the next few months! Excellent game, and the best for the 3DO IMHO. 8)
真・豪鬼

will2097

Post by will2097 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:03 am

That's pretty good haul actually - You would be hard pressed to get all those 3DO games for £50. Star Control II is very expensive (relatively), and so is Dragons Lore. Hell and The Horde aren't as easily come-by as you might think either.

Don't judge Samurai Shodown (slowdown) by the PAL version, for some reason it is very slow under PAL - it is much better on the NTSC machine as I discovered this year, to my delight!

All-in-all that's a pretty respectable collection of games!

Funnily enough I've been playing Power Kingdoms too! :D :D :D

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:18 am

LeeT wrote:In the last two days I picked up a 3DO and CD-I from my local Gamestation - Both came with games and all the leads (£50 and £35 respectively):

(Above) - 3DO and games

(Above) - CD-I and games
So you got them you rascal...did you get them from hartlepool Gamestation as I saw them the other week when I had no money :(

I notice they are gone :(

Nice buy.

NOTE TO SELF : Keep wad of cash handy when going shopping

Lee : Where do you live??

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:59 pm

BennyTheGreek wrote:
So you got them you rascal...did you get them from hartlepool Gamestation as I saw them the other week when I had no money :(

I notice they are gone :(

Nice buy.

NOTE TO SELF : Keep wad of cash handy when going shopping

Lee : Where do you live??
Hahaha! Yeah thats where I bought them - couldn't believe it when I looked in the window on Friday and saw them, as they normally just have about ten PSP's in. :D

Apparently someone who used to work at GS had traded them in. They're in good condition too.

Maybe next time your luck will be in (and I'm skint now so if they get anything else in, I'll have to give it a miss). :)

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:51 pm

Yeah it was the guy with the freaky hair...he seems to be really into his stuff unlike some of the other freaks who work in there.

Where exactly do you live?

Dont worry i wont stalk you, I was just wondering

MC1

Post by MC1 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:06 pm

are you in the North East Benny?

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:10 am

I live slightly to the north of Hartlepool...

and thats all the info I am willing to divulge (just in case you are one of my love children) :wink:

forestville

Post by forestville » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:13 am

got Blazing Angles for the ps3

its a very good game, that makes use of the six axis pad to control the planes

:)
Press play on tape

DanDan the sega man

Post by DanDan the sega man » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:44 pm

Need for Speed- hot pursuit 2{Gamecube}
Serious Sam-Next encounter{Gamecube}
and a replacement gamecube-Silver_ all for £20. from a shop called X Electricals.