What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

BellyFullOfHell

Re: What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:53 pm

Picked up Shikhondo: Soul Eater for sale on Switch. Can't really complain for £3.77. Still trying to decide between Kiwami 2 or Judgement for my next full price pickup, though the inclusion of Fighting Vipers and Moto Raid in Jedgement has probably swung it that way.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:41 pm

You've Been Gamed wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:47 pm
greenberet79 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:34 pm
PlayStation Mini classic thingy. £26 hard to argue. Not sure I'll ever play it. Might just keep it in the box :lol:
Wow where did you find it that cheap?
Was on Amazon last week.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:57 am

Yakuza 5 for the PS4 arrived today. So that's the weekend and most of next month taken care of. Also getting Judgment next week to replay so that'll be two Yakuzas to 100% this Summer. I've managed both before, so unless I've lost all my Puyo Puyo luck I can't see it being impossible!
Also arrived is Turtles (PS4, the platinum one) and Bonkers (Super Famicom, its by Capcom and I lucked out and got it fairly cheap).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:56 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:57 am
Yakuza 5 for the PS4 arrived today. So that's the weekend and most of next month taken care of. Also getting Judgment next week to replay so that'll be two Yakuzas to 100% this Summer. I've managed both before, so unless I've lost all my Puyo Puyo luck I can't see it being impossible!
Also arrived is Turtles (PS4, the platinum one) and Bonkers (Super Famicom, its by Capcom and I lucked out and got it fairly cheap).
Do you fight female Yakuza in Yakuza 5 seeing there’s a woman on the cover. I remember a side mission on Yakuza 1 you fight a woman.

Most scrolling fighters you always had a bizarre cadre of Super Soldiers for end level guarding purposes. Yakuza was just guys in suits even the bosses where guys in suits who took a bit longer to go down.

The only fights that stood out was the woman and that Frankenstein monster called Mr Shakedown.

I loved Jane Doe’s design on Devils Third so surely they could make a boss like her. It’s not like Sega went for the realism route as they never people falling from buildings only to run up the stairs attack you again only to get thrown from a higher floor. Can’t use guns or weapons except in one scene near the end of Yakuza V
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:29 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:56 pm
Do you fight female Yakuza in Yakuza 5 seeing there’s a woman on the cover. I remember a side mission on Yakuza 1 you fight a woman.

Most scrolling fighters you always had a bizarre cadre of Super Soldiers for end level guarding purposes. Yakuza was just guys in suits even the bosses where guys in suits who took a bit longer to go down.

The only fights that stood out was the woman and that Frankenstein monster called Mr Shakedown.

I loved Jane Doe’s design on Devils Third so surely they could make a boss like her. It’s not like Sega went for the realism route as they never people falling from buildings only to run up the stairs attack you again only to get thrown from a higher floor. Can’t use guns or weapons except in one scene near the end of Yakuza V
Well, there's no female Yakuza in the series really, bar a couple of odd side stories. So no.
As for weapons, bit confused by that comment since every game in the series lets you use tons of weapons, both ones that are dropped by enemies and ones that can be purchased/crafted - and that includes guns.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:24 am

ShadowMan wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:29 pm
Shinobi wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:56 pm

Well, there's no female Yakuza in the series really, bar a couple of odd side stories. So no.
As for weapons, bit confused by that comment since every game in the series lets you use tons of weapons, both ones that are dropped by enemies and ones that can be purchased/crafted - and that includes guns.
The only games I’ve played in the Yakuza series one of the PS2 games where you do fight a woman and Yakuza 5.

Yakuza 5 I beat the first boss (the other Yakuza force him to cut his finger off in a cut scene after you beat him. I couldn’t use any weapons apart from chairs, watching my friend he was use guns later in the game. Friend said the main protagonist had a no killing rule up until to this point. He did say I’d like the guy who fights with 2 bats.

I think Fist of the North Star (Yakuza engine) was more my kind of game. Far cooler looking enemies being various masked men, giants and mutants.

Is that Judge Eyes more of the same? I heard the UK is getting it now as they’ve replaced the actor after the original actor got caught doing drugs. As Japanese people frown upon drug use.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:55 pm

Monster Hunter 4, no idea when I'll actually get around to playing it though.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:28 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:57 am
Nice :D

I finally finished the PS3 version last month (I think) and it was one of the best in the series for me although the 100% is the hardest of all Yakuza's thus far in my opinion. I got to about 95% then stopped as I was putting a silly number of hours in. The top difficulty of Winter Combat felt impossible, the rules of the gambling games aren't explained very well and I spent literally HOURS trying to catch the 'Ito' fish in the rivers but with no luck.

The story is brilliant though it was a little disappointing not to see Kiryu return to his new life and the woman that looked like a new love interest. That said, I haven't started 6 yet so I don't know how his story wraps up.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:06 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:28 pm

I finally finished the PS3 version last month (I think) and it was one of the best in the series for me although the 100% is the hardest of all Yakuza's thus far in my opinion. I got to about 95% then stopped as I was putting a silly number of hours in. The top difficulty of Winter Combat felt impossible, the rules of the gambling games aren't explained very well and I spent literally HOURS trying to catch the 'Ito' fish in the rivers but with no luck.

The story is brilliant though it was a little disappointing not to see Kiryu return to his new life and the woman that looked like a new love interest. That said, I haven't started 6 yet so I don't know how his story wraps up.
Eh, he felt nothing to Mayumi, some of the cutscenes come across as unintentionally hilarious as she's showing affection, and he's got a stone cold look on his face. Frankly, after them writing Karou out I don't see Kiryu settling down again, especially after Yumi died as well :( Poor Kiryu doesn't have any luck!

Gambling wise, I've picked up every game bar Shogi from playing the games for years. Shogi still eludes me though I can at least cheese that each game! And yeah, the Ito fish is a bastard to get, I totally know where your coming from there, there's always 1-2 fish in each game that are nightmares to get.

I've 100%ed 5 before on the PS3, and I'd say the hardest bit for me was a couple of the arena fights as Akiyama, he doesn't really have the tools for certain later fights and it makes things pretty darn tough. Otherwise I think I should be ok, though I imagine the comedy bit will take a while to nail the timing down on. But that's a ways away yet, I'm on the final Kiryu chapter, which has the epic brawl at the docks, which I can't wait to replay again!

Anyway, other new arrivals this week are Judgment (yay!) and Samurai Shodown (the new one) which I can't wait to play, I love me some SNK action.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:57 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:06 pm
Megamixer wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:28 pm

Eh, he felt nothing to Mayumi, some of the cutscenes come across as unintentionally hilarious as she's showing affection, and he's got a stone cold look on his face. Frankly, after them writing Karou out I don't see Kiryu settling down again, especially after Yumi died as well :( Poor Kiryu doesn't have any luck!

Gambling wise, I've picked up every game bar Shogi from playing the games for years. Shogi still eludes me though I can at least cheese that each game! And yeah, the Ito fish is a bastard to get, I totally know where your coming from there, there's always 1-2 fish in each game that are nightmares to get.

I've 100%ed 5 before on the PS3, and I'd say the hardest bit for me was a couple of the arena fights as Akiyama, he doesn't really have the tools for certain later fights and it makes things pretty darn tough. Otherwise I think I should be ok, though I imagine the comedy bit will take a while to nail the timing down on. But that's a ways away yet, I'm on the final Kiryu chapter, which has the epic brawl at the docks, which I can't wait to replay again!

Anyway, other new arrivals this week are Judgment (yay!) and Samurai Shodown (the new one) which I can't wait to play, I love me some SNK action.
Just a heads up the Season Pass is free until 30th. I got it in case I ever get the game...Samurai Showdown that is.

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:16 pm

Super Mario Maker 2 Limited Edition on the Switch. It includes a giant pencil, sharpener, drawing pad, steelbook, stylus and 12 months online mebership.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:26 pm

pratty wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:16 pm
Super Mario Maker 2 Limited Edition on the Switch. It includes a giant pencil, sharpener, drawing pad, steelbook, stylus and 12 months online mebership.
Ditto.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:07 am

Crash Team Racing on Ps4, son looking forward to playing this!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:45 pm

I bought an Atari Jaguar in boot sale/flee market with some lose game. I’ve had a cib Kasumi Ninja for years but no Jaguar to play it.

2 weeks and I’ve still not bothered to turn the Jag on do I sell it to CEX or get Tempest for it?

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:53 pm

Jurassic World Evolution in the Steam sale.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb