What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

gman72

Re: What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Post by gman72 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:02 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
gman72 wrote:
We've been here before haven't we :wink:
CoinOPS8 has made a lot of emulation improvements with regards to compatibility on individual ROMS getting many more into decent, playable states but it's all down to individual levels of acceptance. I do emulate on my laptop but I just really enjoy the consolised coinOPS8 experience, truth is I probably spend as much time trawling through roms as I do playing them but with such excellent presentation - marquee artwork for MAME roms and marquee videos for each rom with magazine reviews for home computer roms alternating with box art and gameplay screens - it is a pleasure to do so. I'm sure there are more advanced emulation platforms available and it's all down to individual tastes I suppose. Not only that, my Xbox looks awesome :D
Ha, its not QUITE same as the good old JXD days :wink: I know you a bit better now, and hopefully vice versa, so I have some respect for your opinion and although have some difference of opinion on this, the divide isn't quite as deep and theres no juvenile insults being thrown about! You silly daft git :wink:

I appreciate that its a great package overall, and agree that emulators are quite solid on the Xbox (i don't have the coinops pack, but have the latest core emulators that coinops 8 is based on), but I feel there are some improvements still to be made that probably can't be due to the limitations of a Pentium 3 processor more than anything else. The Xbox is a large beast as well, so I quite like the concept of the newer android machines/raspberry PI etc which not only have much faster processors, but are also pocket size (to connect to your TV by).

I am in agreement as well that the Xbox LED mods do look rather cool. I think £60 is a bargain regardless of my own personal pickiness over emulation compatibility and accuracy. The presentation looks great as well with the accompanying art and preview clips. Its worth noting to those intending to buy this, that if they are a stickler for emulation accuracy, to have some expectations that the Xbox for all its brilliance, has some limitations.
Yeah... Pretty much. There are lots of coinOPS 8 vids on YouTube to try before you buy.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:05 am

gman72 wrote: Yeah... Pretty much.
Anything by JXD though.........GARBAGE! *legs it*

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:48 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
aztecca wrote:
Sephiroth81 wrote: I'm looking forward though to trying SOR Remake when it finally transfers!

How are you ftping it through the router via Ethernet?and what dash are you using to ftp and what ftp program?

Ive got back into xbox modding lately and found the quickest ftp is using a crossover cable direct from laptop/pc to xbox.Use flashfxp ftp prog and unleashx dash to ftp to.Seems a lot quicker to ftp the files over.
Its not an ideal setup, as the Xbox is connected via cat5 cable to the router, but the laptop is wireless connected, but to be honest its not too slow for SOR remake, as its "only" a 400mb file (took me a couple of attempts though, as filezilla spat out some utp transfer errors). If I was to do the coinops router, i'd definitely get a crossover cable, as dozens of gigabytes might take a while! I'm using "unleashx" i believe as the dash.

Yeah filezilla does that alot especially with small files.try flashfxp if your doing anymore ftping.It took about 2.5-3 hrs for me to ftp a 60gb + file to my xbox with no fails.

premium is an an alternative to coinops
premium 8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPlK3NWGih4

You dont have to put the coinops massive on either seph they do smaller packs like coinops lite etc that fit on a stock hhd.try joining backups.me for grabbing the latest versions.

there's also emu xtras which is great but can be a bit more fiddly and not as out of the box to use and use as premium or coinops.But if you familiar with setting up emulation on pc should be fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shMsphCUV28
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:29 am

aztecca wrote:
Yeah filezilla does that alot especially with small files.try flashfxp if your doing anymore ftping.It took about 2.5-3 hrs for me to ftp a 60gb + file to my xbox with no fails.

premium 8

You dont have to put the coinops massive on either seph they do smaller packs like coinops lite etc that fit on a stock hhd.try joining backups.me for grabbing the latest versions.

there's also emu xtras which is great but can be a bit more fiddly and not as out of the box to use and use as premium or coinops.But if you familiar with setting up emulation on pc should be fine.

Ah ok, cheers, i may get flashfxp, as filezilla seems very temperamental and sensitive. Especially annoying FTPing romsets across, as filezilla seems to only allow a very low amount of characters, so seems to reject lots of filenames - which means you either have to batch rename them, or worse do it individually which is a ballache.

Thats good they do a stock-drive "lite" version. I'm literally now down to 400MB left after putting SOR on! I deleted the GBA emulator with roms as its not brilliant, and i'd rather use the Gameboy Player in any case. Whats the size of coinops8 lite when uncompressed? Looks about 4GB or so in RAR files. Not sure how much of a hassle it is to do a full HDD upgrade. I think the main advantage of the upgrade would be installing Xbox isos on.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:44 am

Today a new Arcade machine arrived with me :D A US Midway Super Pacman cab, which has had proper conversion to 1942, it should be very easy though to put it back to Super Pacman...which is my plan.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:58 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
aztecca wrote:

premium 8

Ah ok, cheers, i may get flashfxp, as filezilla seems very temperamental and sensitive. Especially annoying FTPing romsets across, as filezilla seems to only allow a very low amount of characters, so seems to reject lots of filenames - which means you either have to batch rename them, or worse do it individually which is a ballache.

Thats good they do a stock-drive "lite" version. I'm literally now down to 400MB left after putting SOR on! I deleted the GBA emulator with roms as its not brilliant, and i'd rather use the Gameboy Player in any case. Whats the size of coinops8 lite when uncompressed? Looks about 4GB or so in RAR files. Not sure how much of a hassle it is to do a full HDD upgrade. I think the main advantage of the upgrade would be installing Xbox isos on.
Its just under 5g i think think unrared.So you wouldnt get much else on there.A full hdd upgrade is pretty simple.install the app chimp261812 onto your xbox.

Get a 160gig ide hdd from cex for a fiver https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SH ... 8rWOzWrEao

A molex power splitter cable from ebay 99p. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Way-4-pin-P ... SwPe1TyiXM

Take the top of your xbox watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBC9599ww6I

and 20 mins later you will have a larger hdd installed a clone of the drive you have now with all the extra space in your f drive.Should cost you less than a tenner and take no more than half hour.then you can ftp whatever you like.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:18 am

That doesn't look too troublesome, and blimey HDD's are silly cheap these days. Guess the costly ones are the SSDs.

I read a while back there is also a 128MB RAM upgrade to the Xbox which can improve performance on some larger MAME/Neo Geo games and other general applications, but that requires soldering. Seems that the Xbox is ideal for tinkerers.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:35 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:That doesn't look too troublesome, and blimey HDD's are silly cheap these days. Guess the costly ones are the SSDs.

I read a while back there is also a 128MB RAM upgrade to the Xbox which can improve performance on some larger MAME/Neo Geo games and other general applications, but that requires soldering. Seems that the Xbox is ideal for tinkerers.

You can upgrade to 128mb but that's not very easy unless your pretty handy at soldering.You can mod the cpu to 1.4 ghz too but they have the problem of speeding up the games alot and you will have to flash the bios of a chip to get them to work properly.There isn't many mame/neo games that the xbox wont play well even killer instict plays ok now and the laserdisc games.Never had a problem with any neo geo games have sam sho v and metal slug x emulated working fine as do a kinghts of valour etc .Most arcade games up until early 2000s run sweet.The PlayStation and n64 emulation is miles better than it used to be on xbox.was playing symphny of the knight yesterday.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:46 am

Given these, looks like I now have a few space cases

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:51 am

aztecca wrote:

You can upgrade to 128mb but that's not very easy unless your pretty handy at soldering.You can mod the cpu to 1.4 ghz too but they have the problem of speeding up the games alot and you will have to flash the bios of a chip to get them to work properly.There isn't many mame/neo games that the xbox wont play well even killer instict plays ok now and the laserdisc games.Never had a problem with any neo geo games have sam sho v and metal slug x emulated working fine as do a kinghts of valour etc .Most arcade games up until early 2000s run sweet.The PlayStation and n64 emulation is miles better than it used to be on xbox.was playing symphny of the knight yesterday.
Yeah, CPU mod sounds like a mod too far, and would screw up compatibility in standard Xbox games as you said (along with being a censored to do). I think that the Xbox probably does handle MAME quite well in general, think one of the MAME emulators has a few enhancements for 128MB "rammers", but doesn't look to be worth the effort as its competent as it is.

As for N64 emulation, I gave up on that when Project 64 and other PC emulators still can't get it right on even i7 CPUs. The Everdrive and N64 are perfect for each other.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:07 am

In that case, why not just use a Wii for emulation?

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:25 am

DPrinny wrote:In that case, why not just use a Wii for emulation?
I do, as well. The Wii has its strengths and weaknesses like the Xbox, but I recently got "Nintendont" running on it, and its a pretty good way of running Gamecube isos off usb HDD, and it can even force the majority of my PAL gamecube discs to run in 480p which was an unexpected bonus.

The SNES emulator is a lot more optimised on the Wii as well, SNES9X GX (where as zsnes is iffy and inaccurate, and seems to be the main Xbox one, although it does have a port of snes9x, its just not that great). N64 emulation, other than for the couple of dozen Virtual Console N64 titles which naturally run close to perfection, is pretty lame though. I think the Xbox beats the Wii on MAME as well.

Of course it now begs the question whether its worth buying something like the Madcatz Mojo, Ouya (ok maybe not that one) or the latest Raspberry Pi 3 with retropie, as these can also become retro powerhouses and aren't constrained by old CPUs (and are much smaller and portable).

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:41 am

Ouya
People brought that

I nearly did, then it bombed and has no games

Isnt the Vita hacked now? Might as well get one of them

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:07 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:I'm looking forward though to trying SOR Remake when it finally transfers!
It's bloody ace. I have it on my PC and I couldn't stop playing it. Mr X and Shiva are awesome to use :mrgreen:
DPrinny wrote:Image

Given these, looks like I now have a few space cases
A few decent games in there though! I really like the PS1 Space Invaders...
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:36 pm

Well I was given a crystal X box for free of Aztecca and its censored hot!! He put all the beats of Rage games in there as well as the latest Streets of Rage Remake and and both Coin old and Premium.. Ton of X box games, load if PS1 games including Gunners Heaven and Harmful park, XJ7800, PC Engine CD, Daphane and all laserdiscs and Mega Cd games as well as the standard emulators.. Just been playing all the scrolling fighters like Violent Storm and Zero Team that finally work..

Black Ridge also sent me Super Famicom Operation Logic Bomb and several other games for free.. And my friend Tequillia gave me several PSP games for free including ghouls and ghost and a jap PS1 Gradious collection.. I also bought PS4 Ratchet and Clank and Tomb Raider £10 each!!

Also a further 10 PS3 and X Box games £1 each and several PS3 games from charity shop also £1 each
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"