What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

learnedrobb

Re: What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Post by learnedrobb » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:46 am

Lego: The Hobbit (PS4)

As well as 4 actual Lego sets from Argos (all 'The Hobbit', and all on half price promo).
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:56 am

Lego Batman 2 off Xbox Live for a fiver and Shadow of the Colossus on PS2 for £15, and its got the art cards.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:48 am

Super Bomberman Generation.. GameCube, lovely game, great fun.

The Waking Dead series 1. I'd avoid this, as I assumed I'd hate it. However played episode 1 and purchased the rest of the series on that basis. Really enjoying something different.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:52 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
slacey1070 wrote:well, from an emulation perspective, its played everything I've chucked at it so far. Screen is fine and looks at least as good as the hudl. I can return in 10 days if I don't like it.

You can modify the battery in any case, to get 7 hours.

It was a spur of the moment purchase, its ugly as sin but then I have a four year old tablet that makes this look leading edge.
Yeah, its not too bad for running most 8-16bit emulators. Struggles a touch on the PS1 and N64 games, but this applies to the emulators rather than the device itself.

How do you modify the battery?

How do you find the separated 4 button directional D-pad? I really thought this was a bizarre choice by Archos. I know they rectified it for the Gamepad 2, but who does d-pads like that (in 2012!) Still, the analogue thumb sticks aren't TOO terrible.
The battery can be desoldered and replaced with a higher capacity one, according to google.

Not had any issues with the pad to date, but I'm no really a "serious" gamer as such.

Snes and GBA run fine, better than PSP. N64 would be nice, but no deal breaker.

Can't get iPlayer radio working, as won't connect and that might he a deal breaker to.be honest. Tv is fine.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:08 am

slacey1070 wrote:
The battery can be desoldered and replaced with a higher capacity one, according to google.

Not had any issues with the pad to date, but I'm no really a "serious" gamer as such.

Snes and GBA run fine, better than PSP. N64 would be nice, but no deal breaker.

Can't get iPlayer radio working, as won't connect and that might he a deal breaker to.be honest. Tv is fine.
Interesting to note about the battery, although sounds like it could be tricky! I am not sure i'll play/use the archos for 2 hours straight so may not be worth the risk!

SNES and GBA are indeed better on the Gpad over the PSP. I consider the PSP excels at PS1 games, PSP (obviously), Megadrive and all the 8 bit ones. SNES and beyond are a bit too ambitious for old 333mhz processor. The Dual core 1.6ghz in the gamepad has no such issues with the SNES/GBA. There are N64 emulators on Android, but they're far from perfect regardless of the amount of grunt the native system has. That is why a Wii and an Everdrive 64 are essential!

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:17 am

Sel Feena wrote:
speedlolita wrote:Short Peace.
How is it? Looks good fun, but is there any replayability in there?
More of an experience I guess.

You ask of re-playability but how many of the games you purchase do you even complete? :lol:

I'm joshing you, but even so. Perhaps not worth paying full price for though, I'm sure it will drop down to £20 in no time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_Peace
Logged out 15/07/2014.

van

Post by van » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:04 am

Yesterday...

Nautical Rudie

Post by Nautical Rudie » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:19 am

Nabbed The Orange Box for 360 for £3 the other day in a charity shop, pretty happy with that
3DS Friend Code: 0130-1873-6926. Give me a shout if you add me!

stvd

Post by stvd » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:20 am

Shinobi wrote:Couldn't finish the first level painted in the roads and collected the cat and the level still didn't end

Right in the centre of the yellow circle - there's a small corner un-painted.
If you didn't use the tunnel to paint that bit, you couldn't complete the screen..
Depending on how you paint the maze, these can appear at exits and junctions.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:27 am

speedlolita wrote:You ask of re-playability but how many of the games you purchase do you even complete? :lol:
Not all that many, I have to admit! Low attention span. :P

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:19 pm

I find I simply just don't have the time and then it becomes daunting.

I was pretty happy when I found out that Liberation Maiden didn't take long to complete for example but I don't think I've played a modern jrpg for more than 2 hours.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:52 pm

Just had a look on GOG and found a few classics on sale :

Syndicate
Syndicate Wars
Sim City 2000 : SE

All for about £4.50. Just tested out SC2000.....this game hasn't aged a bit, so addictive and my favourite Sim City game by a mile!

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:28 am

Dead Nation Vita (got it for free with the cross-buy feature), Botzone for Killzone Mercenary and Lego The Hobbit for Vita (which although it is nothing like the console versions , is actually pretty decent with plenty to do).

snesfanboy

Post by snesfanboy » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:08 am

Nintendo Pocket Football Club (3DS)

compared to FM, a bit stripped down :mrgreen: but it's addictive

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:45 pm

total spend 55p

yes, 55 pence

the nicest item there is rc helicopter, which was a rn thread freebie
3d pool- well you guys all know i sort of collect archer maclean games, another to add to the list and it was only 25p
fifa world cup 2006 was 10p
so was l.a rush
and colin mccrae 3

the guy in the shop was moaning as they were being sold at a loss, i'll go back before play blackpool and raid their shelves for anything at that price, anything under 50p or so in cex and donate it to the retrocollect stand as long as it isnt terrible.