What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

DPrinny

Re: What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Post by DPrinny » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:00 pm

Synbios wrote:
stvd wrote:^ No Crush Roller?

Much better than Pacman.
I have been debating Crush Roller. Some reviews claim its dull. Other people seem to love it. I might pick it up if I see a copy at a decent price.
Its not a bad game
Its a good game............

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:10 am

Crush Roller is one of the few NGPC games left I still want - I think I once drew up a list of 19 and I've got 12 so the maths isn't too tricky there.

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:05 am

A few people seem to be interested in Crush Roller..................... :wink:

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:15 am

Short Peace.

Pre-order bonus.

Art book isn't especially amazing but it's fairly nice.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:48 am

Archos Gamepad £50 in Tesco.... been after a tablet for a while and at this price, I can't turn it down really...
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:30 am

slacey1070 wrote:Archos Gamepad £50 in Tesco.... been after a tablet for a while and at this price, I can't turn it down really...
Is it the Archos Gamepad 1 (the grey one). If so I'm afraid to say you paid £49 too much.

I was even more unfortunate to pay £100 for it last year. First one kept freezing, so had to have it replaced. 2nd one doesn't freeze quite so much, but its performance is stuttery (which is basically what I read from others is expected from this device). The D-Pad is horrendous on the gamepad - individual buttons rather than all connected, meaning that pulling off combo moves in games like Street Fighter is impossible.

The screen is also dreadful and its only good from one angle (and so long as its in a dark room). The battery life is also dreadful and lucky to get 2 hours out of it at most.

I hope its the Archos Gamepad 2 (but at £50 from Tesco, its nigh on impossible), as that appeared to rectify a couple of issues, mainly the d-pad now being all connected and one part (like a PSP), and the battery life seems to be much better. The Archos Gamepad is a nice idea/concept, but its killed by the faults above. I wish at the time when I got it, I had gone for the JXD 7800 instead, or waited for the Gamepad 2.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:50 am

well, from an emulation perspective, its played everything I've chucked at it so far. Screen is fine and looks at least as good as the hudl. I can return in 10 days if I don't like it.

You can modify the battery in any case, to get 7 hours.

It was a spur of the moment purchase, its ugly as sin but then I have a four year old tablet that makes this look leading edge.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:46 am

Nothing major - but I did get a copy of the PS1 Resident Evil a couple of days ago. I do already have the Director's Cut (in addition to REmake & RE : DS), but there were a few changes in later releases - including the removal of Weskers' theme - that I didn't really like.

Also got The World is Not Enough. Both only cost me a total of £1 out of a local charity shop.
Where logic won't work, I will

van

Post by van » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:06 pm

archos functionality has always been very ambitious...but implementation and usibility is always horrendous

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:46 pm

stvd wrote:A few people seem to be interested in Crush Roller..................... :wink:

i had the clamshell uk version but sold it with my ngpc at the start of the year. It was an ace little game. I was lucky to pay something like £7 for it.

Synbios

Post by Synbios » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:16 pm

Black Ridge wrote: i had the clamshell uk version but sold it with my ngpc at the start of the year. It was an ace little game. I was lucky to pay something like £7 for it.
I have looked at recent EBay purchases for this game. If I am patient I should be able to score a loose cart for $25 or less.

I got excited today when I found a listing for a loose cart of Gals Fighters selling for 23 GBP on amazon.co.uk. The seller was located in California so I figured it should be possible to buy it and have it shipped to me in Canada. If he ships to the UK surely he will ship to Canada. Apparently not. Perhaps he thinks that since it is the UK version of the game it will only work on UK machines. I have sent him an e-mail to see if he will consider relaxing his strict criteria for shipping destinations. Most of what he sells are DVDs (which are region locked) so perhaps he thinks all games are the same.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:32 pm

Black Ridge wrote:
stvd wrote:A few people seem to be interested in Crush Roller..................... :wink:

i had the clamshell uk version but sold it with my ngpc at the start of the year. It was an ace little game. I was lucky to pay something like £7 for it.
Neo geo was and still is underrated it is miles better then any portable for arcade games even now
This guy are sick

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:57 pm

speedlolita wrote:Short Peace.
How is it? Looks good fun, but is there any replayability in there?
Last edited by Sel Feena on Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:35 pm

slacey1070 wrote:well, from an emulation perspective, its played everything I've chucked at it so far. Screen is fine and looks at least as good as the hudl. I can return in 10 days if I don't like it.

You can modify the battery in any case, to get 7 hours.

It was a spur of the moment purchase, its ugly as sin but then I have a four year old tablet that makes this look leading edge.
Yeah, its not too bad for running most 8-16bit emulators. Struggles a touch on the PS1 and N64 games, but this applies to the emulators rather than the device itself.

How do you modify the battery?

How do you find the separated 4 button directional D-pad? I really thought this was a bizarre choice by Archos. I know they rectified it for the Gamepad 2, but who does d-pads like that (in 2012!) Still, the analogue thumb sticks aren't TOO terrible.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:59 pm

Synbios wrote:
Black Ridge wrote: i had the clamshell uk version but sold it with my ngpc at the start of the year. It was an ace little game. I was lucky to pay something like £7 for it.
I have looked at recent EBay purchases for this game. If I am patient I should be able to score a loose cart for $25 or less.

I got excited today when I found a listing for a loose cart of Gals Fighters selling for 23 GBP on amazon.co.uk. The seller was located in California so I figured it should be possible to buy it and have it shipped to me in Canada. If he ships to the UK surely he will ship to Canada. Apparently not. Perhaps he thinks that since it is the UK version of the game it will only work on UK machines. I have sent him an e-mail to see if he will consider relaxing his strict criteria for shipping destinations. Most of what he sells are DVDs (which are region locked) so perhaps he thinks all games are the same.
Gals Fighters has gone up in price bought 3 new pal Gal Fighters off Amazon £3 each a while back, lose not boxed.. I'm pretty sure I still have a lose pal Gal Fighters and Crush Roller.. Crush Roll it plays like Amidar but with a brush? Couldn't finish the first level painted in the roads and collected the cat and the level still didn't end
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"