What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Re: What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Post by Megamixer » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:31 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Megamixer wrote: Isn't there also an issue with controller ports blowing up?

Must admit that I was quite lucky when I used to have a Dreamcast. Bought it used and un-yellowed and it never broke down at all before I sold it.
How easy was it to "unyellow" it?? Is there a way without pulling it apart, and dipping it in acid?!
What I meant to say was that I bought one that was still white :wink: . If you get a white one (same for any console that yellows) then just make sure the consoles in your set-up aren't in direct sunlight. Sounds mega-basic but that's all you can do.
speedlolita wrote:I used to have reset issues so I soldered the motherboard to the power supply. Problem solved.
This ^^^ is what I was trying to reference. I knew somebody had posted about a permanent fix before and who else would it be other than speedy? :wink:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:48 pm

Some Imports. 2 PS2 games and 2 PCE games

Shijou Saikyo - fighter based on an anime Kenichi something :?
Arcana Heart 2 - wanted this for a while to complete the trilogy
Tales of the Monster Path (Yokai Dochuuki) - cheap platformer. Trying to build a little library of bits to play on my new toy
Barunba - decent little shmup. Another cheapy to boost the game count :D

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:34 pm

Gibberish Driftwood wrote:The recent article in Retro Gamer about Wind Waker made me go out an buy this:
Its a limited edition with Ocarina of Time as an added bonus. :)
Very nice mate :) The box has been swapped out though, it should be gold. (unless the German ones came in a black box....not sure)
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:46 pm

Gibberish Driftwood wrote:The recent article in Retro Gamer about Wind Waker made me go out an buy this:
Its a limited edition with Ocarina of Time as an added bonus. :)
I still have my original pre order copy from day one. I think ive probably played it 3 times. If I remember right I got a slip sleeve for it from someone on here.

Add to that the Zelda bonus disc I got with Mario Kart I was a very happy Cube owner back then.

thebear

Post by thebear » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:42 am

PS4
Killzone (came with it)
COD Ghosts (came with it)
Battlefield 4
Tomb Raider ultimate edition or whatever it's called

and then for the nipper Lego Marvel Superheroes and Knack
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:47 am

Some games & a memory card.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:19 am

Black Ridge wrote: Shijou Saikyo - fighter based on an anime Kenichi something :?
History's strongest disciple Kenichi, its a good series
the game.

Isnt

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:29 am

Megamixer wrote:
Sephiroth81 wrote:
Megamixer wrote: Isn't there also an issue with controller ports blowing up?

Must admit that I was quite lucky when I used to have a Dreamcast. Bought it used and un-yellowed and it never broke down at all before I sold it.
How easy was it to "unyellow" it?? Is there a way without pulling it apart, and dipping it in acid?!
What I meant to say was that I bought one that was still white :wink: . If you get a white one (same for any console that yellows) then just make sure the consoles in your set-up aren't in direct sunlight. Sounds mega-basic but that's all you can do.
speedlolita wrote:I used to have reset issues so I soldered the motherboard to the power supply.
If your not handy with soldering then just unclip the power board and clean the metal prongs as they oxidise and the surface of them becomes mucky prevent a nice constant connection for the power. Hense the resetting of the console. Even just taking the board on and off a few times generally does the trick.

This ^^^ is what I was trying to reference. I knew somebody had posted about a permanent fix before and who else would it be other than speedy? :wink:
Mmmmm had to edit this blasted post has my reply was not posted :?: stupid broken site.

What I did say is, if your not handy soldering things then it should just be a simple case of taking the power board on and of a few times and using a cleaner on the prongs. Stupidly they just used a metal that tarnished very easily so they oxidised at various speeds depending on your room conditions. This tarnish did not provide a great connection for the electricity to pass through which in turn makes the unit reset. I found this worked on 99% of machines.
Last edited by silvergunner on Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:41 am

I was given a pack in version from a Zelda bundle that my friend bought new back in the day. It had a black case too. Looked odd when compared to the gold one and I did comment on it to him. He said I was being picky and he didnt care. Ive never seen one out of the box in a black case apart from that. Bet he wishes he'd kept that GC sealed now but he just wanted to play the game.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:42 pm

shiftytigger wrote:I was given a pack in version from a Zelda bundle that my friend bought new back in the day. It had a black case too. Looked odd when compared to the gold one and I did comment on it to him. He said I was being picky and he didnt care. Ive never seen one out of the box in a black case apart from that. Bet he wishes he'd kept that GC sealed now but he just wanted to play the game.
Ive got a single disc edition in a black case but seeing a ltd ed is a new one on me. It is kinda picky really but i wonder why they did that...

Here's my two:

ImageImage
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

commanderkaiser

Post by commanderkaiser » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:59 pm

Picked up two things from Cash Converters today.

Cart only Solar Striker on Gameboy for £1.50 - had a quick blast on it and it seems pretty basic but its decent enough.
Pretty nice condition Sonic Wings Special on PS1 for 50p, the case its quite rough but can be changed and the disc is in pretty good condition, yet to try this one out. Seemed the pick of the bunch there and the screenshots look pretty good.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:06 pm

Had loads this week

Woman in the charity shop held these back for me and said she has more upstairs 8) all £1

Had these off my friend £20 for 10 Master System games with Wonderboy

The PS1 and Dreamcast games where held back for me in a charity shop and cost me 69p each.. 360 games I bought PC Engine games I swapped off a friend

PSP games from Game, Duble Dragon from a trade with Van, Starblade I had for free of megamixer along with some awesome Morrigan, Felica and Lillith figures.. PC Engine games from swaps with a friend

"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:57 am

Got this at the weekend from CEX. It was still sealed.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:10 am

nokgod wrote:
shiftytigger wrote:I was given a pack in version from a Zelda bundle that my friend bought new back in the day. It had a black case too. Looked odd when compared to the gold one and I did comment on it to him. He said I was being picky and he didnt care. Ive never seen one out of the box in a black case apart from that. Bet he wishes he'd kept that GC sealed now but he just wanted to play the game.
Ive got a single disc edition in a black case but seeing a ltd ed is a new one on me. It is kinda picky really but i wonder why they did that...

Here's my two:

ImageImage
Not sure - but it was an original 2 disc case like most others. Maybe they just did it to be random or maybe just because it was a pack in and they figured it wouldnt matter. If it remained sealed no one would know..

I know the cube was sealed at both ends but now cant remember if the game was sealed too.
All the new sealed ones ive seen have been gold.

Ive had several of the single disc copies but never kept them , im not quite at your level of collecting yet Trev. On my way though.

On a less related note I found a copy of Cocoto Funfair at a Cex and was ready to buy but it turned out they didn't have the disc and it was mispurchased as PS2. Im hoping they find the disc and contact me but I wont hold my breath.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:21 am

Shinobi wrote:Had loads this week
Id say youve done very well with that lot there Shin. Interested to know what the PC Engine games are. Im still learning a lot about the system. Did you get yourself one in the end? I see you have Dragon Spirit, thats a personal fave so far. Good score on the Master System stuff too :wink:

Im waiting on a couple of Lode Runner games for the Saturn and Kyūkyoku Tiger on PCE.
Last edited by Black Ridge on Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.