What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Farzlepot

Re: What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Post by Farzlepot » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:37 pm

I found the CEX in Wolverhampton's Mander Centre this Monday. Unless there's another one somewhere nearby I won't be going back. Full of unwashed chavs, and had NOTHING older than the latest PS2 game titles in stock. Just Xbox 360 games, PS3 games, DVDs and Blu-rays! There is a store on Queen Street (where I used to work, no less, and I never noticed it before) called Cash Generators, that I might look into next time I'm there - but it looks even less savoury than CEX did!

So I'm stuck with eBay, Amazon Marketplace and whatever else I can find online for the time being. As well as the occasional DC / PS1 game from GameStation, when they have them in.

Haven't really bought anything since that last haul, though. Running low on money and already blew my retro budget for the month twice over on that last haul!

Uaithne

Post by Uaithne » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:57 pm

Note to self, NEVER EVER agree when someone calls saying "Do you want to buy 10 PS2 games, all boxed". This is what I wound up with:

Fighting Angels
Girl Zone
Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (Platinum)
SingStar: Hottest Hits
SingStar: Party Hits
Super Fruit Fall
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (Platinum)
Totally Spies! Totally Party
Twenty 2 Party
Rapala Pro Fishing ... for the PC

I guess, they were all boxed, and all with manuals. Only cost me $20 all up ... but that's three pints I'll never see. Thank goodness Medal of Honor was included!
"Not to know what happened before you were born is to be a child forever" -Marcus Tullius Cicero, 46BC

Wants List | Items for Sale

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:50 pm

don't worry, hang on to Girl Zone, Fruit Fall and Fighting Angels, they'll all become rare in the future ;) Give them 10 or 20 years though, lol

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:59 pm

Farzlepot wrote:I found the CEX in Wolverhampton's Mander Centre this Monday. Unless there's another one somewhere nearby I won't be going back. Full of unwashed chavs, and had NOTHING older than the latest PS2 game titles in stock. Just Xbox 360 games, PS3 games, DVDs and Blu-rays! There is a store on Queen Street (where I used to work, no less, and I never noticed it before) called Cash Generators, that I might look into next time I'm there - but it looks even less savoury than CEX did!

So I'm stuck with eBay, Amazon Marketplace and whatever else I can find online for the time being. As well as the occasional DC / PS1 game from GameStation, when they have them in.

Haven't really bought anything since that last haul, though. Running low on money and already blew my retro budget for the month twice over on that last haul!
I was in the Gamestation and CEX in Hemel Hempstead and there was nothing prior to PS2....:(

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:05 pm

Farzlepot wrote:I found the CEX in Wolverhampton's Mander Centre this Monday. Unless there's another one somewhere nearby I won't be going back.
The one in Brighton was similar and was always just full of utter crap I could rarely even be bothered looking through. Credit where credit's due though - at one time they did used to have a nice arcade cab playing away in the corner with about six Neo-Geo MVS titles on it, so that made the place alright by me!
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:00 pm

delbert_trout wrote:
Farzlepot wrote:I found the CEX in Wolverhampton's Mander Centre this Monday. Unless there's another one somewhere nearby I won't be going back.
The one in Brighton was similar and was always just full of utter crap I could rarely even be bothered looking through. Credit where credit's due though - at one time they did used to have a nice arcade cab playing away in the corner with about six Neo-Geo MVS titles on it, so that made the place alright by me!

It really is a depressing place to be in. Not because of the staff (although in the local one they do seem to spend most of the day chatting to eachother) but the 15 year old mothers and assorted scroungers trying to flog their suspiciously new mobile phones. After all, Tyresse, Kyla and Jordan all need their ears pierced and the whiplash claim is taking it's time to come through

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:08 pm

I got the Rugby League 3 game for the Wii; at last, fallen below £20 (£14.98 to be exact) after months and months at £40+!

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:24 am

The CeX in Wrexham has original Xbox and GameCube games, but it's running VERY, VERY low on stock, particularly with Wii and PSP. They're constantly moving stuff around to try and hide this, but they're fooling no one.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:31 am

Uaithne wrote:Note to self, NEVER EVER agree when someone calls saying "Do you want to buy 10 PS2 games, all boxed". This is what I wound up with:

Fighting Angels
Girl Zone
Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (Platinum)
SingStar: Hottest Hits
SingStar: Party Hits
Super Fruit Fall
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (Platinum)
Totally Spies! Totally Party
Twenty 2 Party
Rapala Pro Fishing ... for the PC

I guess, they were all boxed, and all with manuals. Only cost me $20 all up ... but that's three pints I'll never see. Thank goodness Medal of Honor was included!
I'm after that Fighting Angels! Looks really stupid fun. :mrgreen:
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

sebadude

Post by sebadude » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:26 am

Just received a couple of VMUs in the post... so I can start Shenmue :)

Ebay seems to have loads of factory-new VMUs, even now. I wonder if there's a big warehouse with forgotten ones, or if Sega made too many, or if they passed the license to produce them to someone else?

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:43 am

snowkatt wrote:shadow of the colossus ( i have absolutley zero interest in this because its nothing more then a boss rush and i dislike boss fights let alone a game thats nothing else then boss fights but i figured it might be good ico trade fodder )
I'll echo what others have said: you should really, really, really give it a go before trading it! And of the two, yeah, ICO probably is the better game.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:56 am

sebadude wrote:Just received a couple of VMUs in the post... so I can start Shenmue :)

Ebay seems to have loads of factory-new VMUs, even now. I wonder if there's a big warehouse with forgotten ones, or if Sega made too many, or if they passed the license to produce them to someone else?
There also seem to be a fair few 'brand new cartridge only' NGPC games on there as well right now, all at pretty good prices. Too good to be true?

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:12 am

Cart only is usually very cheap.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:31 am

The Angry Jock wrote:Cart only is usually very cheap.
Thankful I took that punt now on Puzzle Link 2. Although does it count as a punt if you've played it on NeoPop?

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:44 am

Sel Feena wrote:
snowkatt wrote:shadow of the colossus ( i have absolutley zero interest in this because its nothing more then a boss rush and i dislike boss fights let alone a game thats nothing else then boss fights but i figured it might be good ico trade fodder )
I'll echo what others have said: you should really, really, really give it a go before trading it! And of the two, yeah, ICO probably is the better game.
nah
i just saw it cheap and bought it because i thought it might be good ico trading fodder but that is all
it really really does not appeal to me
ico is the game i want not shadow of the colossus

and i got a few new games

mx rider
resident evil 4 ( just to try and see once again whats so good about it )
sly 2
iridium runners
tomb raider anniversary

and mojo

anybody ever heard of that ? or knows what it is ?
to me it seems like a pinball machine on crack
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !