What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mr Vengeance

Re: What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Post by Mr Vengeance » Sat May 22, 2010 1:49 pm

I think I may be buying games for the sake of it right now :? Dangerously close to beginning to waste money on games.....

See, today I bought two more games for the DS, that I'll be honest with you's, I didn't need. I bought the critically acclaimed The World Ends With You, new old stock from HMV, for €14, and new and sealed Speed Racer DS for €6. I was oddly drawn to the latter, as I think I read some good reviews for it somewhere once, plus its been sat at that price in my local HMV now for ages. Its sealed, so I thought the box would be handy for the former...

The World Ends With You then.... the box is a bit beat up, but for that price I couldn't complain. Its new old stock, and it would be transformed into a mint item with the box from Speed Racer, however, I've played a good bit of it this evening, and think its a bit "meh" - you can't love all DS games to be honest, even the popular ones. Nice art style, but the gamplay and music is not to my taste. I'm going to get rid of it anyway, I don't censored need it and I'm not wasting the money on something I don't want.

I seriously have to stop buying DS games now for a while because I've a shelf full of unplayed ones - its not even funny anymore. I suppose I'm buying the things because I'm bored as censored, owing to the fact that the job I was to start having left college has seemed to fall through :( Applied to my local solicitors' office for some work experience, and haven't heard a dicky-bird back. I have more than enough DS games now to keep me going for a good bit, so no more active DS shopping for a while now. I know when its time to stop, and that time is now. After I swap The World Ends With You anyway.....
Nintendo DS games: 41

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sat May 22, 2010 2:04 pm

You are just buying DS games for the sake of it, Speed Racer DS - seriously? TWEWY is awful, you should buy a flash cart to try games before you buy them.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat May 22, 2010 2:15 pm

What you need to do is play what you have and just dump anything you don't like. That way you'll get some cash back and make some more space.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Sat May 22, 2010 2:22 pm

Yeah I'm going to quite buying games now for a bit, its getting stupid :roll:

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sat May 22, 2010 2:23 pm

I often pick up games these days, get half way to the till and question if I actually want the item in my hand. Put it on a shelf and leave. :lol:
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Sat May 22, 2010 2:25 pm

speedlolita wrote:I often pick up games these days, get half way to the till and question if I actually want the item in my hand. Put it on a shelf and leave. :lol:
Yep, that's when you know you have too much.

I'm bored, that's my problem. There's nothing to do here. I'm lost without college. There's no work in Dublin. Nothing.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sat May 22, 2010 2:26 pm

It's less, having too much and more, wow this is gonna be worthless in no time - why am I wasting my money? I only buy PAL stuff when it comes to current gen now.

Play your AES. :mrgreen:
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat May 22, 2010 2:30 pm

It's ironic that you have an AES actually. Surely it'll be more gratifying to save up your money for a few months and splash out on an expensive title for that machine?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sat May 22, 2010 2:30 pm

Mr Vengeance wrote:I'm bored, that's my problem. There's nothing to do here. I'm lost without college. There's no work in Dublin. Nothing.
no work anywhere,anyone i know thats going abroad is coming back as quick because no work either,consider myself lucky i dont have debts to worry about,and tbh the degrees and the diplomas are coming more common now the employers are giving out about that all the graduates coming into interviews dont have the experience...

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Sat May 22, 2010 3:25 pm

Megamixer wrote:It's ironic that you have an AES actually. Surely it'll be more gratifying to save up your money for a few months and splash out on an expensive title for that machine?
Thats what I did for the last six months of last year - I ended up buying about 7 AES games in that time.

Having looked at the AES collection, there's nothing I really need that isn't extremely expensive. I may buy Fatal Fury 3 and King of Fighters 99, but when you look at what I have they are hardly essential purchases.

I suppose with the DS, you can get lots of brand new games for next to nothing.
Fred83 wrote:
Mr Vengeance wrote:I'm bored, that's my problem. There's nothing to do here. I'm lost without college. There's no work in Dublin. Nothing.
no work anywhere,anyone i know thats going abroad is coming back as quick because no work either,consider myself lucky i dont have debts to worry about,and tbh the degrees and the diplomas are coming more common now the employers are giving out about that all the graduates coming into interviews dont have the experience...
Yep, degrees aren't what they used to be, though I'm aiming to get a first next year, so hopefully that will be something. It won't be easy, but its the only way to stand out, to have a really good degree.

Regarding experience..... well I have five years retail experience, and thats about it. I reckon though that I might get something good next year, as I keep in well with my lecturers, and they know a lot of people in business, but nothings gauranteed in times like this. You just gotta study hard, do your best, and hope everything works out for you.

Anyway, I just cleared out my PayPal account there with the purchase of The Legendary Starfy for the DS - import Nintendo platformer, not available in Europe, brand new and sealed, from the US. Been meaning to get it for a while, so that's that - no more eBay now for at least a month.

Once I return the DS game to HMV, I'm done for a bit bar essentials you couldn't turn away.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat May 22, 2010 3:28 pm

Mr Vengeance wrote:
Megamixer wrote:It's ironic that you have an AES actually. Surely it'll be more gratifying to save up your money for a few months and splash out on an expensive title for that machine?
Thats what I did for the last six months of last year - I ended up buying about 7 AES games in that time.

Having looked at the AES collection, there's nothing I really need that isn't extremely expensive. I may buy Fatal Fury 3 and King of Fighters 99, but when you look at what I have they are hardly essential purchases.

Or you could even go for one of the mega-expensive ones like Garou or Pulstar? You must have enough games to tide you over if you played them properly?

With regards to your last point, the same applies to me and PS2 games really. With the current deals, I buy loads that I haven't really played. There's a lot to be said for expensive games.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sat May 22, 2010 3:37 pm

i got an idea mr vengeance, stop wasting money.

With collecting, although you don't relaise it, it's easy to fall into the collectors trap. Where you're buying games just to have them, everyone here can say that they do that. Its an easy mistake to make. I have been making the same mistake for around 4 years untill now where i'v3e relaised that, in fact i enjoy life more than 1000 video games i don't ever play. I was buying games just to say i had them, which let's be honest is just pathetic.

Stop ignoring alcohol, and go down the pubs with your friends.

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Sat May 22, 2010 3:40 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Mr Vengeance wrote:

Or you could even go for one of the mega-expensive ones like Garou or Pulstar? You must have enough games to tide you over if you played them properly?

With regards to your last point, the same applies to me and PS2 games really. With the current deals, I buy loads that I haven't really played. There's a lot to be said for expensive games.
I agree, there's is a lot to be said for pricier games alright. You value them more and play them more too I feel. I am going to buy a few more DS games that I know I want over the summer, like the Ace Attorney series and Kirby, and a couple of others that can be found locally, but perhaps I should at long last look at buying up one of those super-rares I've been after for a while and stop buying up loads of smaller games that I just can't get the time to play. Radiant Silvergun perhaps? Garou: Mark of the Wolves AES? Maybe, but with the Euro as worthless as it currently is, I think they may have to wait a while.....

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Sat May 22, 2010 3:50 pm

retrojc wrote:i got an idea mr vengeance, stop wasting money.

With collecting, although you don't relaise it, it's easy to fall into the collectors trap. Where you're buying games just to have them, everyone here can say that they do that. Its an easy mistake to make. I have been making the same mistake for around 4 years untill now where i'v3e relaised that, in fact i enjoy life more than 1000 video games i don't ever play. I was buying games just to say i had them, which let's be honest is just pathetic.

Stop ignoring alcohol, and go down the pubs with your friends.
Today was a waste of money, but in fairness, there's no harm in me buying up the best twenty or so DS games over the last month - after all, it means that I'm using a console that I had bought years ago that had gone unused for man amny months. And I now have loads of quality games to play over the coming months (Fire Emble, Advance Wars, Yoshi's Island, etc).

Having quickly realised that today was unnecessary however, I've decided to stop now the DS buying for a while. I'm not going to actively seek DS games as committedly as I have been doing, as I have enough. I could go on buying up more unnecessary censored, but I have seen that today was a bridge too far, so its ending here. Thats not to say I won't buy DS games going forward, I will, I will just not borderline obsess over them as I have been doing.

Now having said that, drink isn't the answer here either. My family is full of alcoholics, and I'm not a fan of getting off my head on the stuff. What is the key here is me getting back out in the real world, because that's where I belong. Three weeks now stuck in the house waiting to get this job I was promised by my lecturer.... and it hasn't happened. This coming week I am going to actively seek out some sort of occupation, paid or otherwise, before I go mental :lol:

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat May 22, 2010 4:04 pm

You need a really strong will to stay away from game shops - trust me I know. For example, walking through town the other day, too early to get to work so I pop into gamestation to waste some time. End up buying 4 games FFS. What you need is something else to drain all your money (cars/women/booze/drugs/bills/babies - delete as applicable) + no overdrafts/credit cards so you can't buy things THAT way.

Or set yourself a (sensible) minimum spending limit each month - that'll teach you to only buy things you really want and not waste money.