What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

JD!

Re: What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Post by JD! » Thu May 20, 2010 4:16 am

Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing for DS.

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Thu May 20, 2010 5:49 am

bsg wrote:PIcked up a Philips Videopac G7000 (the console with the mombrane keyboard) for £4 from my local 'tatty market' - no games with it but it _seems_ to work, turn it on and I get a jumbled screen of graphics and text - never had one before so not sure if that is how it should be...?
That's probably how it should be without a game plugged in, yeah.. ;)

The only thing I've picked up recently is Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers for the NES (cart only) for 50p off a boot sale...
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

R3troCarl

Post by R3troCarl » Thu May 20, 2010 6:19 am

I`ve just brought
TNA:impact
Spyro way of the dragon
Burnout revenge(my current one scratched and i`m hooked on it atm)
Lego Stars wars 2all for ps2

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Thu May 20, 2010 7:09 am

Rayne wrote:
QuantumCrayons wrote:
Mr Vengeance wrote:along with Shadow...
Nyah, I never liked Shadow all that much. Though, I looked at a synopsis just to get the tie-in :P
How far did you get? I absolutely loved it until I hit colossi number 4 or 5, some giant horse. You're supposed to lure it and surprise it...nope, never could get it to work >_>. Gave up after that.
I loved it and completed it - the final boss is one of the most impressive things on PS2, up there with the massive ogre guy in the desert in God of War 1 for sheer unbelievable size and scale.

The rest of the bosses are great as well. This game pushes the PS2 to an unbelievable degree. Unfortunately the controls and camera aren't quite perfect, but they don't overshadow (no pun intended) what is one of the most notable releases to have ever come out on Sony's hardware.

The art direction and visual syle is the best on the PS2. Superb fun fighting the colossi - a definate 9/10 in my book. Better controls and camera and it would be full marks from myself.
JD! wrote:Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing for DS.
Any good? Might pick it up on the DS myself.
Nintendo DS games: 41

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu May 20, 2010 7:53 am

Preordered Mario Galaxy 2 today and got the 11th of June booked off so I can play this over 1 long weekend (like the last Mario Galaxy). Looks fantastic from what I've seen so far :mrgreen:
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Thu May 20, 2010 8:11 am

Snake Rattle and Roll - Sega Megadrive..
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Thu May 20, 2010 8:19 am

Spooky wrote:I am proud to say that I've fulfilled what is probably many gamers' dream (at least it was mine!): I've just bought a Neo Geo! (with 5 games: Burning Fight, KOF 94, Fatal Fury Special, Art of Fighting 2 & Samurai Spirit)
It's unboxed sadly, but it came with the 5 said games for €250, which is a fair price methinks! :wink:

I'm looking forward to getting more games, especially schmups and side-scrolling beat'em all... any suggestion welcome!
was that the one on ebay,sworn i seen it during the week,anyways samurai spirits 2,3 are brill aswell..

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Thu May 20, 2010 8:19 am

I finally got Super Princess Peach for the DS - had to get it second hand however, though it is mint. Came in at just under €20. I wanted it sealed as you guys know, but if its as described its fine. Good price, much better than paying out €60 for sealed US or Australian copies. So, its much better that I just got on with it and bought it instead of checking eBay every day, and it might never turn up again sealed, so I just got on with it and bought it second hand - whilst I'd like all my games new for the DS, I'm going to open them anyway, so its no big deal in the grand old scheme of things.

Fingers crossed its as described anyway. If not quite perfect I'll sell it on when I do locate a new copy locally or on eBay.

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Thu May 20, 2010 1:26 pm

Fred83 wrote:
Spooky wrote:I am proud to say that I've fulfilled what is probably many gamers' dream (at least it was mine!): I've just bought a Neo Geo! (with 5 games: Burning Fight, KOF 94, Fatal Fury Special, Art of Fighting 2 & Samurai Spirit)
It's unboxed sadly, but it came with the 5 said games for €250, which is a fair price methinks! :wink:

I'm looking forward to getting more games, especially schmups and side-scrolling beat'em all... any suggestion welcome!
was that the one on ebay,sworn i seen it during the week,anyways samurai spirits 2,3 are brill aswell..
Nope, I gave up on ebay. I lost 3 or 4 consecutive auctions, so I had a look on a French website. :wink:
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Thu May 20, 2010 1:33 pm

cool,welcome to neo club anyway..

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Thu May 20, 2010 1:47 pm

Spooky wrote:
Fred83 wrote:

Nope, I gave up on ebay. I lost 3 or 4 consecutive auctions, so I had a look on a French website. :wink:
Neo Amusement by any chance? ;)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu May 20, 2010 2:13 pm

Id like to say that Cash Converters in Stockport had a any PS2 game for a quid
I did see some chav picking up a copy of Fifa 08, but I think I got the best of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNTMBhnrn4w

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu May 20, 2010 2:31 pm

Ralph Milne's Left Foot wrote:Snake Rattle and Roll - Sega Megadrive..
I didn't realise that was on the Megadrive, how's it play compared to the NES version?
Splink!

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Thu May 20, 2010 2:41 pm

felgekarp wrote:
Ralph Milne's Left Foot wrote:Snake Rattle and Roll - Sega Megadrive..
I didn't realise that was on the Megadrive, how's it play compared to the NES version?
Wont know till it gets here .. waiting on the post!
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu May 20, 2010 3:12 pm

Mr Vengeance wrote:I'm my opinion, Burning Fight is the best side-scroller on the system, bar Sengoku 3. Sengoku 1 is mediocre, but as you like the genre, it might be worth a look, especially if you find it cheap. 2 is very good but hard to find nowadays.
I didn't like Burning Fight that much. Just felt bland and a bit dull to me. Loved being able to go inside shops and smash the place up though.

With Streets of Rage 2 being so stunning on the MD, I'd have loved to see a NeoGeo side-scroller in a similar vein really push that system to the limits and have as much sould as Sega's game.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.