What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

aztecca

Re: What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Post by aztecca » Wed May 19, 2010 1:02 pm

got 3 xbox games through the post today.

Hello Kitty mint and complete with the stickers :D
project gotham 2 live starter pack set :D

and a game i never even knew existed as a Pal UK release Greg Hastings Tournament paintball Max'd.Well chuffed with that one as i have never even seen a copy of this before. Has anyone else?
Last edited by aztecca on Wed May 19, 2010 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed May 19, 2010 3:02 pm

pantal00ns wrote:
Jay wrote:
felgekarp wrote:I picked up my copy of Dodonpachi for the PS2 from the post office this morning.
Nice. I'm after one of those. Where did you get it?
From the Post Office, I guess they are branching out....
Is it getting to the point where people can't ask an honest question on here :D
I got it off ebay.
Splink!

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Wed May 19, 2010 3:22 pm

aztecca wrote:got 3 xbox games through the post today.

Hello Kitty mint and complete with the stickers :D
Thats even worse than me wanting Super Princess Peach! :lol:

I understand man, we all get it, but lets all keep it on Retro Gamer and say nothing to our mates "in the real world" :oops:
Nintendo DS games: 41

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Wed May 19, 2010 3:24 pm

I am proud to say that I've fulfilled what is probably many gamers' dream (at least it was mine!): I've just bought a Neo Geo! (with 5 games: Burning Fight, KOF 94, Fatal Fury Special, Art of Fighting 2 & Samurai Spirit)
It's unboxed sadly, but it came with the 5 said games for €250, which is a fair price methinks! :wink:

I'm looking forward to getting more games, especially schmups and side-scrolling beat'em all... any suggestion welcome!
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Wed May 19, 2010 3:37 pm

Spooky wrote:I am proud to say that I've fulfilled what is probably many gamers' dream (at least it was mine!): I've just bought a Neo Geo! (with 5 games: Burning Fight, KOF 94, Fatal Fury Special, Art of Fighting 2 & Samurai Spirit)
It's unboxed sadly, but it came with the 5 said games for €250, which is a fair price methinks! :wink:

I'm looking forward to getting more games, especially schmups and side-scrolling beat'em all... any suggestion welcome!
Awesome stuff man, a good price and some very nice games too. A nice varied line-up there of early-ish games. Congratulations!!

There are quite a few shmupps on the Neo, but unfortunately they are either rubbish or very expensive. However....

Sonic Wings 2 (otherwise known as Aerofighters Assualt 2 I think) is very good, if a little dull graphically. Its not too pricey either. Its a vert shooter BTW. Best on the system.

As for horizontal shooters, there's a better selection - BLazing Star and Pulstar are phenomenal, but not realistically afordable unless you've won the lottery recently ;) However, The Last Resort is excellent, graphicallly superb, challenging and fun to play - its not as expensive as the above pair, but is nearly as good to play.

Neo is obviously great for the fighters anyway. Sengoku 3 is the best sscroller, but its (sigh) very expensive. One-on-one fighters are very affordable however. My favourites are The Last Blade, Real Bout Fatal Fury Specail and King of Fighters '95.

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Wed May 19, 2010 4:42 pm

Was in Dundee today, picked up a re-print of Ico for an incredible £1.99.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed May 19, 2010 4:46 pm

You lucky little....nice one! I need to sit down and try ICO..

I just won copies of Maken Shao & Crimson Tears on PS2. Maken Shao should be interesting, I always wanted to try Maken X on DC.

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Wed May 19, 2010 4:58 pm

The graphics in Ico are unbelievable to this day. And an aincredibl achievement for what is nearly a ten year old game :shock:

Gameplay is a tad shallow mind... its no Zelda, but its got an amazing atmosphere and art direction. Every needs it in their collection, along with Shadow...

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed May 19, 2010 4:59 pm

SSFIV (again) and Tekken 6 (again).

I'll be keeping them this time.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Wed May 19, 2010 5:21 pm

Mr Vengeance wrote:
Spooky wrote:I am proud to say that I've fulfilled what is probably many gamers' dream (at least it was mine!): I've just bought a Neo Geo! (with 5 games: Burning Fight, KOF 94, Fatal Fury Special, Art of Fighting 2 & Samurai Spirit)

Awesome stuff man, a good price and some very nice games too. A nice varied line-up there of early-ish games. Congratulations!!

There are quite a few shmupps on the Neo, but unfortunately they are either rubbish or very expensive. However....

Sonic Wings 2 (otherwise known as Aerofighters Assualt 2 I think) is very good, if a little dull graphically. Its not too pricey either. Its a vert shooter BTW. Best on the system.

As for horizontal shooters, there's a better selection - BLazing Star and Pulstar are phenomenal, but not realistically afordable unless you've won the lottery recently ;) However, The Last Resort is excellent, graphicallly superb, challenging and fun to play - its not as expensive as the above pair, but is nearly as good to play.

Neo is obviously great for the fighters anyway. Sengoku 3 is the best sscroller, but its (sigh) very expensive. One-on-one fighters are very affordable however. My favourites are The Last Blade, Real Bout Fatal Fury Specail and King of Fighters '95.
Thanks for the advice. What about the first two Sengoku?... I do have a preference for side-scrolling beat'em ups, even if they're considered mediocre. (I love Riot Zone... :lol: )
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Wed May 19, 2010 5:21 pm

felgekarp wrote: Is it getting to the point where people can't ask an honest question on here :D
Honesty is the best policy, but pointless sarcasm is much more fun :wink:

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Wed May 19, 2010 5:26 pm

Spooky wrote:
Mr Vengeance wrote:

Thanks for the advice. What about the first two Sengoku?... I do have a preference for side-scrolling beat'em ups, even if they're considered mediocre. (I love Riot Zone... :lol: )
First of all, apologies for my shocking spelling in that previous post :roll: Its this dinky netbook I'm using, fecking keys are really close together.

I'm my opinion, Burning Fight is the best side-scroller on the system, bar Sengoku 3. Sengoku 1 is mediocre, but as you like the genre, it might be worth a look, especially if you find it cheap. 2 is very good but hard to find nowadays.

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Wed May 19, 2010 6:11 pm

Mr Vengeance wrote:along with Shadow...
Nyah, I never liked Shadow all that much. Though, I looked at a synopsis just to get the tie-in :P

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed May 19, 2010 6:27 pm

QuantumCrayons wrote:
Mr Vengeance wrote:along with Shadow...
Nyah, I never liked Shadow all that much. Though, I looked at a synopsis just to get the tie-in :P
How far did you get? I absolutely loved it until I hit colossi number 4 or 5, some giant horse. You're supposed to lure it and surprise it...nope, never could get it to work >_>. Gave up after that.

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Wed May 19, 2010 6:48 pm

Rayne wrote:How far did you get? I absolutely loved it until I hit colossi number 4 or 5, some giant horse. You're supposed to lure it and surprise it...nope, never could get it to work >_>. Gave up after that.
Loved it until Colossi 5, where I couldn't find it and kept falling off a waterfall :/
I beat that horse one though, after a bit.