What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

nokgod

Re: What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Post by nokgod » Fri May 16, 2014 9:08 pm

oh those are pretty :D
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat May 17, 2014 11:41 am

just the one this week:

sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat May 17, 2014 1:31 pm

Just been to a little tabletop sale up the road. Picked this up for 10p:

Just box/disc...but i can hardly complain. Already have a nice complete copy so it may well end up on one of the Random niceness threads at some point :)

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Sat May 17, 2014 3:34 pm

Bought a fair few games from the "May madness" sale thing on PS Store. Resident Evil 1,2 and 3 for under a fiver. Ive got them already but more likely to play them on PS3 than get the PS1 out :P Got Far Cry 3 for a few quid too, looks okay so far *touch wood* I didn't like Far Cry 2 at all.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sat May 17, 2014 6:06 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Sel Feena wrote:^ Roughly 40 quid, hasn't arrived yet as there's a week's wait for shipping on it. Can't comment on if it'll be better than other entries as this'll be first in the series I've played.
I enjoyed the PS2 games for their awesome crapness but they were very unforgiving and the levelling up was so unbelievable slow. Plus, the 3 PAL PS2 games are all revisions of each other so there was little in the way of newness with each game. The Wii sequel was new but actually looked worse than the PS2 games and the controls were awful :shock: .

I also have the first 360 game but not been able to test it as I'm yet to get hold of a console.

Z Kagura looked awesome from the original trailers so I'd be interested to hear if it's any good when you get the game :)
Came yesterday along with some other stuff. My impressions:
  • + It looks pretty nice, everything is of a fair quality although it's pretty obvious what the developers have put the most time into rendering.
  • +The actual combat mechanics are good fun and have a reasonable amount of depth, letting you switch up weapons and characters mid-combo.
  • + From what I've played through so far (first few chapters), the story is damn silly, and it doesn't seem to take itself seriously. Just as well!
  • + Doesn't take long to be able to buy better weapons and some accessories, so possibly not a grind like you said the other games were?
  • - The chapters aren't very long, although hopefully that'll improve later on.
  • - Playing on normal difficulty, the enemies do not present much of a challenge at all. The AI's not so much poor as nonexistent so far. This is particularly true of the zombies, so maybe D3 were going for that? Main challenge so far is finding ways to keep up the combo counter.

Overall, looks like a fun unpretentious hack-and-slasher. And yep, I've already had more fun with this than with Ninja Gaiden Z.

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Sat May 17, 2014 6:20 pm

Was on holiday in the States, so stocked up for my Sony consoles...

Bought Borderlands 2, Putty Squad, Deception IV, Soul Sacrifice and Assassin's Creed III: Liberation for the Vita, and for the PS4 I picked up MGS: Ground Zeroes and Infamous Second Son.

Also played Sonic The Lost World at Nintendo World in New York, obviously didn't buy it with the Wii U not being region free and all, but I did enjoy it and I'm tempted to get it here. It's so widely slated I'm a bit wary though, I only played part of one zone, anyone have any opinions on this game?

HisNHer_LP

Post by HisNHer_LP » Sat May 17, 2014 6:42 pm

I loved these games as a kid, spent hours on them and still no Wrestling game has come close (Maybe Fire Pro) I hope they have aged well.

I gave a quick spin on No Mercy and found I have the save bug :(

I will try and look for No Mercy again, boxed if possible, and that will be it for my N64 collection for a while seeing as Im in the group buy for the EverDrive 64

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat May 17, 2014 8:59 pm

Sel Feena wrote: Came yesterday along with some other stuff. My impressions:
  • + It looks pretty nice, everything is of a fair quality although it's pretty obvious what the developers have put the most time into rendering.
  • +The actual combat mechanics are good fun and have a reasonable amount of depth, letting you switch up weapons and characters mid-combo.
  • + From what I've played through so far (first few chapters), the story is damn silly, and it doesn't seem to take itself seriously. Just as well!
  • + Doesn't take long to be able to buy better weapons and some accessories, so possibly not a grind like you said the other games were?
  • - The chapters aren't very long, although hopefully that'll improve later on.
  • - Playing on normal difficulty, the enemies do not present much of a challenge at all. The AI's not so much poor as nonexistent so far. This is particularly true of the zombies, so maybe D3 were going for that? Main challenge so far is finding ways to keep up the combo counter.

Overall, looks like a fun unpretentious hack-and-slasher. And yep, I've already had more fun with this than with Ninja Gaiden Z.
Thanks for posting :) . I'll certainly move this up on my priority list but it will have to wait for a while due to car troubles and other money-related niggles :|
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun May 18, 2014 1:14 am

Senran Kagura Burst finally arrived after being sent by my brother back home! I then went and picked up Borderlands 2 as an excuse to turn on my Vita. Impulse bought Arkham Origins & Sniper Elite.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun May 18, 2014 3:02 pm

My latest stuff

Had thes of Black Ridge

Dungeon Siege, Alon Dar, Cool Spot of Black Ridge, Boy and his Bloba and Onechanbara of Megamixer rest I bought the Jaguar game was found under the bed and never owned a Jaguar

Boxed CDi and modded Saturn region free with switches

"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

HisNHer_LP

Post by HisNHer_LP » Sun May 18, 2014 3:42 pm

Does the Saturn allow for back ups?

I missed the Saturn first time around but a friend had it, all we ever played on it was a game called pinball graffiti, wouldn't mind giving that a go again

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sun May 18, 2014 5:04 pm

Shinobi wrote:My latest stuff

Had thes of Black Ridge

Dungeon Siege, Alon Dar, Cool Spot of Black Ridge, Boy and his Bloba and Onechanbara of Megamixer rest I bought the Jaguar game was found under the bed and never owned a Jaguar

Hope you enjoy the stuff I sent. Looks like you got some cool stuff on top of that. A Modded Saturn is a must especially with all the awesome Japanese titles available. A Boy and His Blob has always interested me but I rarely play my Wii now.

Is Legends of Troy basically a Musou/Dynasty Warriors style game?

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun May 18, 2014 7:32 pm

HisNHer_LP wrote:Does the Saturn allow for back ups?

I missed the Saturn first time around but a friend had it, all we ever played on it was a game called pinball graffiti, wouldn't mind giving that a go again
My friend said it can play copies but you need a Action Replay and have to load a original and remove it mid spin and replace with a copy.. Also you have to mod the Saturn so the disc keeps spinning when you open the disc.. My friend couldn't get it to work, on the plus it plays all region games and the Jap Saturn has cool exclusives and cheaper games like Shinobi X

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun May 18, 2014 7:37 pm

Black Ridge wrote:
Shinobi wrote:My latest stuff

Had thes of Black Ridge

Hope you enjoy the stuff I sent. Looks like you got some cool stuff on top of that. A Modded Saturn is a must especially with all the awesome Japanese titles available. A Boy and His Blob has always interested me but I rarely play my Wii now.

Is Legends of Troy basically a Musou/Dynasty Warriors style game?
I will send Boy an his Blob onto you when I'm done 8) Used to see it all the time in Sainsburys when people here said it was good I couldn't find it anywhere.. I always thought the Blob looked like the incredible smoo.. I've not played Legends of Troy yet saw the You tube trailer.. Thought wading through a sea of Athenians as the axe wielding Amazon Penthesilia looked pretty damn cool.. You fight all the Greek Monsters so I imagine its more akin to God of War.. Just need to get Fist of the North Star out of the way just because I'm getting OCD with those last achievements :twisted:

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sun May 18, 2014 9:57 pm

Shinobi wrote:I'm getting OCD with those last achievements :twisted:
It can be hard putting a game down when you look at the list of achievements and see some that are fairly easy to obtain, or you're already not far off them. Definitely a great thing to implement into games when done well. Nice to have goals you wouldn't always think to achieve in games.