What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

pantal00ns

Re: What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Post by pantal00ns » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:03 am

Not bought much for a while but a ok haul from a charity shop.

Dead or Alive - PS1
Time Crisis 2 - PS2
Time Crisis 3 - PS2
Duke Nukem Atomic Edition

All for £4 which was none too bad, Duke was a nice retro throwback got it working with XP las night.

Fighting games are not my forte and never knew DOA came out on PS1?

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:30 am

optimus wrote:
gmintyfresh wrote:Radirgy Noa Massive - Wii

Nice box art

Whats the Wii version like?
Does it still have the borders with the Japanese school girls on it? Can they be removed?
Not cranked it up yet but if the port is half as good as the 360 version I'll be happy. This game is completely riddled with female anime characters but the game itself is a solid shooter - Milestone's finest in my opinion.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:39 am

pantal00ns wrote:Not bought much for a while but a ok haul from a charity shop.

Dead or Alive - PS1
Time Crisis 2 - PS2
Time Crisis 3 - PS2

Duke Nukem Atomic Edition

All for £4 which was none too bad, Duke was a nice retro throwback got it working with XP las night.

Fighting games are not my forte and never knew DOA came out on PS1?
Great selection of games there, and for just a few quid. I think DOA was probably buried beneath the millions of other beat em ups on the PS1. I never owned it, but played the arcade version, and DOA2 on PS2, and its a cool series.

Best dust off your Namco Lightgun and get the CRT TV out for the Time Crisis games! (it is slightly jarring that so many classic lightgun games don't work on modern televisions).

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:24 am

Sephiroth81 wrote: Great selection of games there, and for just a few quid. I think DOA was probably buried beneath the millions of other beat em ups on the PS1. I never owned it, but played the arcade version, and DOA2 on PS2, and its a cool series.

Best dust off your Namco Lightgun and get the CRT TV out for the Time Crisis games! (it is slightly jarring that so many classic lightgun games don't work on modern televisions).
Cool, will give DOA a go but my lack of skill is usually why I give up in fighting games. My PS1 at launch came with Battle Arena Toshiden, this was probably the start and the end of my foray into PS1 beat em ups. :o

I have two CRT's (although only small) I keep for older machines and light Gun gaming :wink:

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:40 am

pantal00ns wrote:
I have two CRT's (although only small) I keep for older machines and light Gun gaming :wink:
Good thinking - I need to get a CRT TV, as i've got quite a few lightgun gammes now.

Its a pity that the dimensions are basically 14" then 21", then upwards. It would be nice if there was a 17-18" CRT TV available in between.

OR IS THERE?!?!

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:22 am

No.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:25 am

speedlolita wrote:No.
That really does suck donkey plums. I'm sure there is a technical reason for it. 21" it will have to be....just a pity that the old CRT screens of that size and above are so deep (that are affordable).

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:33 am

B&O do some fairly thin 21" displays. MX4000.

Personally I'd just get a Trinitron and leave it at that. ;)
Logged out 15/07/2014.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:34 am

I've got a trinitron, picture quality is average even after going into settings.

I've been part of the pgm club for a while now anyway 8)

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:37 am

Is that one of the perfectly square ones? A year or so back a Sony PVM 2130QM (or similar) went for £150 on eBay.. Bah.

My KX-14CP1 is no slouch though. http://oi59.tinypic.com/2925mqu.jpg

:P
Logged out 15/07/2014.

van

Post by van » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:54 am

gmintyfresh wrote:
optimus wrote:
gmintyfresh wrote:Radirgy Noa Massive - Wii

Nice box art

Whats the Wii version like?
Does it still have the borders with the Japanese school girls on it? Can they be removed?
Not cranked it up yet but if the port is half as good as the 360 version I'll be happy. This game is completely riddled with female anime characters but the game itself is a solid shooter - Milestone's finest in my opinion.
Seems like the rest of the world got way better Wii games than the USA did.
:(

Almost every time I come on is forum, I see a Wii game I have never heard of but would probably love.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:08 pm

Preordered baby!

commanderkaiser

Post by commanderkaiser » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:00 pm

Got myself a really nice condition Gameboy Micro today, also came with a few games the only notable ones being GTA boxed and Sonic Double Pack boxed.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:11 pm

speedlolita wrote:B&O do some fairly thin 21" displays. MX4000.

Personally I'd just get a Trinitron and leave it at that. ;)
I have a Wega KV-28HX15U and it's great. Shame that I had to bin the original stand but I had no room for it. Bloody deep (and extremely heavy) TV though.
speedlolita wrote:I don't know yet. It is the JP version of Heroes Paradise and the JP releases of NMH have always have English voices to begin with. If it is anything like Killer is Dead it will recognise my system is English and give me English all over. I'll check later, either way I beat the EU version of this already so I'm not too fussed. This came to £13 too, which is a bit cheaper than a boring PAL copy.

Plus the cover kicks ass.
I personally like the cover of the PAL copy but the Jap one looks better. £13 is a lot cheaper than the PAL copy too (which can also be a bit hard to find). Reminds me that I need to play my copy but I'm in no rush since I've beaten both Wii games.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:17 pm

Not been buying a lot lately but I've had a few nice bits through over the last week-and-a-bit :)

'TEST' PS2 was from speedlolita so now I can finally buy and play imports :mrgreen: . The handful of random NTSC-J games were from Black Ridge.

A few random PAL games from trades on here. International Cue Club 2 was kindly sent through by flatapex and I liked the first one so hopefully this one'll be alright. The rest was all from a trade with shiftytigger. Thought it was about time I tried a Lego game or two to see what the fuss is all about and the PSP Activision comp is full of Atari 2600 games that I've never played so that'll be fun. I had Soul Calibur Legends since I'm a big fan of the series and I'm interested to see if it is as bad as its rep.

Big thanks to everybody I've bought from/traded with recently :mrgreen:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.