What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Dam

Re: What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Post by Dam » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:15 pm

mainvein wrote:got these this week - under defeat was a bargain, ebay £4.25 delivered brand new!
Crazy price for a brilliant game! So glad I paid £50 for the Jap version at launch :lol:

He's got it on XBox too for the same price, I just bought one, not really sure why though. I just can't resist a bargain I guess!

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:03 pm

gmintyfresh wrote:Image

New arrival!!
My god I am terrible at this game. Great buy!
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:26 am

I have bought this week :

Sega Saturn + 25 games, lightgun
Mashed Fully Loaded (PS2)
Fahrenheit (Xbox)

The Saturn and its games are yet to arrive though, just ordered :P

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:32 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:I have bought this week :

Sega Saturn + 25 games, lightgun
Mashed Fully Loaded (PS2)
Fahrenheit (Xbox)

The Saturn and its games are yet to arrive though, just ordered :P
Nice! Let us know what games you have with the Saturn. Mashed is brilliant and great if you can manage 4 player. Have a lot of fond memories playing Mashed :D

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:38 am

Black Ridge wrote:
Nice! Let us know what games you have with the Saturn. Mashed is brilliant and great if you can manage 4 player. Have a lot of fond memories playing Mashed :D
Yes, I saw it one "1001 Videogames To Play Before You Die", and i love top-down racers, so thought I must get it, plus it was dirt cheap.

I have a multitap, and probably enough controllers, just need to find 3 friends now :|

As for Saturn Games, they included :

Sega Rally
Quake
Virtua Cop 1/2
Virtua Fighter 1/2
Last Bronx
Daytona USA CCE
Fighting Vipers
Sonic R
Burning Rangers
Die Hard Trilogy
.....Doom (yes, Doom on the Saturn, the greatest version EVER!)
Manx TT
and a few others

I'm tempted to buy Duke Nukem 3D, but have the PS1 version and the N64 version (as well as a PC one somewhere), so think its probably not worth it.

What other games do you suggest i get, that are cheap to pick up, and fairly decent to play?

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:05 am

Sephiroth81 wrote: What other games do you suggest i get, that are cheap to pick up, and fairly decent to play?
Athlete Kings is a decent game and always cheap. Panzer Dragoon can be found for about a tenner and that's very easy to pick up and have a blast on. I managed to get a cheap copy of Crusader No Remorse which is fun to play and different from many other generic action games. As you have Virtua Fighter and Fighting Vipers I'd say you need some Fighters Megamix too just for a laugh. I'd recommend getting the system modded or get an Action Replay as I've found most of my gems on Saturn to be imports and many Japanese titles tend to be cheaper anyway. Fighting games, platformers, shmups etc all have very little text and often have English menus anyway. This is of course in the assumption that you have a UK PAL machine

I've yet to play Last Bronx or Burning Rangers so would be interested on your thoughts on them.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:30 am

Black Ridge wrote:
Sephiroth81 wrote: What other games do you suggest i get, that are cheap to pick up, and fairly decent to play?
Athlete Kings is a decent game and always cheap. Panzer Dragoon can be found for about a tenner and that's very easy to pick up and have a blast on. I managed to get a cheap copy of Crusader No Remorse which is fun to play and different from many other generic action games. As you have Virtua Fighter and Fighting Vipers I'd say you need some Fighters Megamix too just for a laugh. I'd recommend getting the system modded or get an Action Replay as I've found most of my gems on Saturn to be imports and many Japanese titles tend to be cheaper anyway. Fighting games, platformers, shmups etc all have very little text and often have English menus anyway. This is of course in the assumption that you have a UK PAL machine

I've yet to play Last Bronx or Burning Rangers so would be interested on your thoughts on them.
Boom - I've just bought Athlete Kings for £4.50, Fighters Megamix i'm not so sure about, as it looks to be around £8 for the cheapest, and I've got a few Fighters on there already. I might wait for it to go under a fiver if possible. I'll look for Crusader No Remorse now. Thanks for the advice!

It is a PAL Saturn, so you were correct to assume. I don't normally buy PAL consoles from this era, as they are generally very inferior to their NTSC counterparts, but it looks as if PAL conversions got treated with a lot more care and attention than their PS1 PAL counterparts.

Will let you know about Last Bronx and Burning Rangers. The latter sounds quite interesting.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:52 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Black Ridge wrote:

Boom - I've just bought Athlete Kings for £4.50, Fighters Megamix i'm not so sure about, as it looks to be around £8 for the cheapest, and I've got a few Fighters on there already. I might wait for it to go under a fiver if possible. I'll look for Crusader No Remorse now. Thanks for the advice!

It is a PAL Saturn, so you were correct to assume. I don't normally buy PAL consoles from this era, as they are generally very inferior to their NTSC counterparts, but it looks as if PAL conversions got treated with a lot more care and attention than their PS1 PAL counterparts.

Will let you know about Last Bronx and Burning Rangers. The latter sounds quite interesting.

ExThe Saturn is actually one console, above all others, where its much better to get a Japanese version.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:28 pm

RodimusPrime wrote: ExThe Saturn is actually one console, above all others, where its much better to get a Japanese version.
I understand what you mean, particularly if you are into shoot em ups and 2D beat em ups. I only really bought the Saturn for its arcade games though, so the PAL console was a decent enough buy. I was researching that some of these games were treated to actually decent PAL versions with fewer bugs than their NTSC counterparts. Where as PS1 gamers tended to not just get their games later than the NTSC versions, but with huge black borders and 17.5% slower, same with the SNES/MD. Sega, by the this generation seemed to treat us Europeans a bit better.

I could always get a 60HZ switch conversion if I ever got a taste for those Japanese games though.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:45 pm

It is very easy to modify a Sega Saturn into a Japanese machine.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:51 pm

speedlolita wrote:It is very easy to modify a Sega Saturn into a Japanese machine.
I'll see how things go with this one. I only bought a Saturn because of its arcade games, and the fact that emulation is so dire for the Saturn (sadly).

ironmonger

Post by ironmonger » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:55 pm

This actually was from a few weeks back. Took about a year from pre-order to actual delivery, but it's a very good quality product. I'd never actually played the game before I got the Jag version, it must've seemed pretty impressive back in the day.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:14 pm

Picked up my PS3 today, and it came with:
CoD Ghosts
CoD Black Ops II
Little Big Planet II
PES 2009
GTA V
Gran Turismo 5

However, after trading in Ghosts, GT 5 and GTA V, i got:
Uncharted 1, 2, 3
Heavy Rain
Metal Gear Solid 4
Killzone 3
Resistance 3
and something else i cant remember, but the whole cane to £44, and have about a fiver left.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:42 pm

Well i have decided my ms collection is at a standstill, md has good stuff but my psp is neglected, so decided that as its tougher to get bargains for i will sink effort into it, some bits ordered online
Mega drive collection
Midway collection
Off road

All £2.99 each from thats entertainment, they apparently have a shaky reputation for being out of stock for things, will take my chances

Then a few more umd goodies:
Championship snooker £1.50 from cex, complete and in good shape
Tekken- no manual and umd not in great shape, mainly as they keep umd's in A BOX £2 from cash generator.
Also toca 3 and dynasty warriors from game, toca was £5, dynasty warriors was £1

van

Post by van » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:48 am

found these yesterday for $5 each.