What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

shiftytigger

Re: What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Post by shiftytigger » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:49 am

Tatsunoko is as close as a great beat em up can get on the Wii. As for HOTD Overkill make sure you get the zapper as it gets quite uncomfortable without.

ootini

Post by ootini » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:33 am

I'm not the biggest fan of fighting games, so when buying I'd kinda discounted/ignored it until I went through the box of stuff when I got it home and saw that the Tatsunoko side had Gatchaman characters.

You're right on the Zapper though. Defo need to get one.

n1nty

Post by n1nty » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:47 am

Jack and Dexter on the vita 15 quid new :)

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:58 am

shiftytigger wrote:Tatsunoko is as close as a great beat em up can get on the Wii. As for HOTD Overkill make sure you get the zapper as it gets quite uncomfortable without.
Guilty Gear Accent Core is awesome and often forgotten. Can be picked up for pennies and the sequel is even better if you want to splash out a fiver.

Shame there aren't many fighters on the Wii, but then with such poor online matchmaking its not that much of a surprise.

ootini

Post by ootini » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:43 pm

Guilty Gear was in the stack too, and Castlevania Judgement. Have not got round to either yet, but I hear the Castlevania ain't great...

Always liked the what I've experienced of the Guilty Gear games though.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:08 pm

Luckily Tatsunoko is GC pad / classic pad compatible so its not lumbered with crap control.

Castlevania is not good at all - in the same way as Soul Calibur on Wii.

Guilty Gear if I recall had a cheapo boss but I enjoyed most of the rest of it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:10 pm

The best part of CV Judgement is the character artwork which is brilliant. I still want to play it properly though but I've not seen it at cheap enough prices to take a risk.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:40 pm

Megamixer wrote:The best part of CV Judgement is the character artwork which is brilliant. I still want to play it properly though but I've not seen it at cheap enough prices to take a risk.
Wish you had said before I had one you could have had. Think I boot saled it in the end.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:46 pm

Megamixer wrote:The best part of CV Judgement is the character artwork which is brilliant. I still want to play it properly though but I've not seen it at cheap enough prices to take a risk.
It was done by Takeshi Obata who did the art for Death Note. He has a fairly distinct manga style much like Akira Toriyama whose work is easy to spot in Dragonball, Dragon Quest and Blue Dragon. Death Note was a great manga although I haven't seen the anime.

I'd like to to give Castlevania Judgement a go despite its criticism.

I bought a copy of The Red Star this week from CEX for 75p. Couldnt afford much else. Have to say its bloody brilliant from what I've played. Its described as a cross between Streets of Rage and Ikaruga on the back of the case. I can see where it draws comparison. For 75p it comes highly recommended :D

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:48 pm

Shinobi wrote:
n1nty wrote:Moho goes for 60 - 75 on the bay grab it and flip it for xmas money if I was you :)
Hey Ninty not saw you on here in a while, managed to get some of those Super Famicom scrolling beat em ups you recommend, yet to Undercover Cops that's not sold for less than £200 :oops:

Moho was 99p and CIB, my friends also got a CIB pal copy played it a few years back and thought it was terrible.. Need a 'Ron Simmons' "damn' avatar for not picking that up.. All the Dreamcast games where 99p expect Shenmue as the guy said it sells for double that on Ebay..

Seeing they had 2 of the rarest Dreamcast games(Canon Spike & Moho) wish I had bought the other games.. They where a double pack of either Rainbow 6 or Soldier of Fortune(cover somebody in a gas mask wearing one of those hooded fur coats that all the women around here tend to wear

Driving Game like Crazy Taxi wasn't either Crazy Taxi or Taxi le Jue
Shenmue this was £18
ECW Wrestling
Chu Chu Rocket
Aero Wing 2 looked like a flight sim
Iron Eagle

get yourself back to that cash generators now asap - cannon spike and moho are worth good money now :-) wish i found gems like that

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:32 pm

Forgot to add I also bought a Dreamcast for 18 quid
Going Solo...................

crotea

Post by crotea » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:49 pm

Picking up SimCity 2000 for the ps1 on Friday.

Woohoo 100th post :P

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:02 pm

mainvein wrote:
Shinobi wrote:
n1nty wrote:Moho goes for 60 - 75 on the bay grab it and flip it for xmas money if I was you :)
Hey Ninty not saw you on here in a while, managed to get some of those Super Famicom scrolling beat em ups you recommend, yet to Undercover Cops that's not sold for less than £200 :oops:

Moho was 99p and CIB, my friends also got a CIB pal copy played it a few years back and thought it was terrible.. Need a 'Ron Simmons' "damn' avatar for not picking that up.. All the Dreamcast games where 99p expect Shenmue as the guy said it sells for double that on Ebay..

Seeing they had 2 of the rarest Dreamcast games(Canon Spike & Moho) wish I had bought the other games.. They where a double pack of either Rainbow 6 or Soldier of Fortune(cover somebody in a gas mask wearing one of those hooded fur coats that all the women around here tend to wear

Driving Game like Crazy Taxi wasn't either Crazy Taxi or Taxi le Jue
Shenmue this was £18
ECW Wrestling
Chu Chu Rocket
Aero Wing 2 looked like a flight sim
Iron Eagle

get yourself back to that cash generators now asap - cannon spike and moho are worth good money now :-) wish i found gems like that
I bought Canon Spike being a Capcom game it looks great, wish I had go Moho even though I hate the game.. Problem is there's several collectors who I got to know who are in there every day and a few off the staff collect Saturn, Snes and Dreamcast games and know there stuff.. This was all that was left today prices where between 49 and 99p.. One of them just picked up a :| boxed Snes Mario Kart pack and Saturn boxed from a charity shop

The Dreamcast games with missing covers where Iron Eagle and Wings looked like somebody up the other games
edit Iron Aces

"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

mr gryzor

Post by mr gryzor » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:40 pm

Picked up a copy of Battlefield 4 on XBox One this afternoon.
Purchased a Rastan Saga Jamma board for my arcade cabinet on monday.
C64-Atari ST-PC Engine-Sega Megadrive-SNES-Neo Geo-Sony Playstation-N64-Dreamcast-Gamecube-XBOX-Nintendo Wii-XBOX360-XBOX ONE

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:31 am

Picked up a few cheap PS2 bits from CEX:

Midway Arcade Treasures Vol.1 - £1.00
International Cue Club - 10p
International Pool Championship - 50p
Xtreme Express - 50p

Also tried to grab one I'd never seen before called Swords of Destiny but CEX being CEX, the contents of the case were missing :roll: . Maybe it was a lucky escape? Midway was to replace the copy I stupidly sold a few months ago and Xtreme Express is a train racing game that I couldn't pass up after reading the back of the box ("Stop runaway trains, barge enemies off the track or struggle to the finish with faulty instruments").
Black Ridge wrote:
It was done by Takeshi Obata who did the art for Death Note. He has a fairly distinct manga style much like Akira Toriyama whose work is easy to spot in Dragonball, Dragon Quest and Blue Dragon. Death Note was a great manga although I haven't seen the anime.
No wonder it looked familiar. The Death Note manga is one that I really enjoyed so I should have saw the resemblance :oops:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.