What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

killbot

Re: What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Post by killbot » Thu May 24, 2012 6:24 pm

So it's the All-Stars version of SMB, yeah? Why does eating a mushroom turn you from Knuckles into Sonic? Why couldn't they even change the most basic stuff like changing coins into rings? Why is Mario's picture still on the wall when you go down the first pipe? That looks like one of the worst hacks I've ever seen - they've basically just changed the main sprite and title screen.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Thu May 24, 2012 6:26 pm

killbot wrote:So it's the All-Stars version of SMB, yeah? Why does eating a mushroom turn you from Knuckles into Sonic? Why couldn't they even change the most basic stuff like changing coins into rings? Why is Mario's picture still on the wall when you go down the first pipe? That looks like one of the worst hacks I've ever seen - they've basically just changed the main sprite and title screen.

im judging it by its pirate status, as bare in mind that it wasn't intended for the mega drive... i'd say they did a decent port. and its simply a red sonic, not knuckles
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu May 24, 2012 6:29 pm

Grizzly wrote:
killbot wrote:So it's the All-Stars version of SMB, yeah? Why does eating a mushroom turn you from Knuckles into Sonic? Why couldn't they even change the most basic stuff like changing coins into rings? Why is Mario's picture still on the wall when you go down the first pipe? That looks like one of the worst hacks I've ever seen - they've basically just changed the main sprite and title screen.

im judging it by its pirate status, as bare in mind that it wasn't intended for the mega drive... i'd say they did a decent port. and its simply a red sonic, not knuckles
Surely it should go regular Sonic, Super Sonic. I mean, the clue is in the name! I guess if you must play Super Mario Bros. on your Mega Drive this is one way.

I must admit, though, I've never been into hacks and mods much. Maybe if I was I'd see the merit in this.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Thu May 24, 2012 6:46 pm

killbot wrote:
Grizzly wrote:

Surely it should go regular Sonic, Super Sonic. I mean, the clue is in the name! I guess if you must play Super Mario Bros. on your Mega Drive this is one way.

I must admit, though, I've never been into hacks and mods much. Maybe if I was I'd see the merit in this.

funny thing is, im not the biggest fan of hacks myself, but when they are presented with a box and such ill grab them if cheap
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu May 24, 2012 6:52 pm

It definitely looks....different. Interesting, but different. Thanks for that, Griz.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Fri May 25, 2012 2:57 pm

Atelier Mereru: The Apprentice of Arland.

If anyones interested in this, the Zavvi Exclusive comes with a free art book.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri May 25, 2012 3:10 pm

ShadowNeku wrote:Atelier Mereru: The Apprentice of Arland.

Still need to get around to buying Totori before it gets too hard to find. Got the three PS2 Atelier games and the first PS3 game but have lost track with how many have been released since.

Anyway, today I downloaded F-Zero X and Muscle March from the virtual console to play after Paper Mario is done and dusted.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Random Hero

Post by Random Hero » Fri May 25, 2012 4:21 pm

ShadowNeku wrote:Atelier Mereru: The Apprentice of Arland.

Thanks buddy, was wondering if anyone was doing some freebies. :)

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Fri May 25, 2012 7:56 pm

Supermassiveish PS3 haul today, and a couple of others...

All the following from Cash Generator/Cash Converters:

Gran Turismo 5 - £6.99
Uncharted - £4.99
Uncharted 2 - £5.99
Tomb Raider Trilogy - £4.99
Super StreetFighter IV (region-free US vers.) - £4.99

The below from a quite excellent indie games shop in Castleford called "Electric Town" (he's got LOADS of games in, what a gem of a shop!) :D

Virtua Fighter 5 (PS3) - £3.99
Mercenaries 2 (PS3) - £2.99
Still Life (Xbox1) - £4.99

Plus these from CEX, down the market, and from a charity shop, respectively:

Tatsunoko VS. Capcom (Wii) - £6
King Of Fighters Neowave (PS2) - £3
Runabout 3 (PS2) - 99p

Also managed to nab a Saw 1-5 DVD boxset for £2.50, as well as Machete for a quid, and the recent re-release of Creepshow 2 for a quid, too, plus some (in really good nick) retro Nike trainers for £3.99 from a chazza shop - it's very rare to get size 12 trainers in charity shops, let alone ones I actually want to wear, so this was the nicest pickup of the day for me by far. :D

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat May 26, 2012 12:56 pm

Ridge Racer Unbounded on PS3 and Futurama on PS2, nothing new retro-wise in town sadly.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat May 26, 2012 3:12 pm

JazzFunk wrote: Super StreetFighter IV (region-free US vers.) - £4.99
All PS3 games are region free :wink:

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Sat May 26, 2012 6:19 pm

^Oooh, are they? Cool! :D

morch-uk

Post by morch-uk » Sat May 26, 2012 7:23 pm

yus, i think u can have issues if u play by scart but thats just tv signal potential.... but dont affect tvs now anyway :)

i play jap yakuza games on my pal ps3 :)

and today i bought 3 saturn model 2 'homebrew' boards for under £30 so a happy man :D now means i can follow my dreams of playing saturn games witohut worrying about expensive rare games, just accessories now :D

jcdentont1000

Post by jcdentont1000 » Sun May 27, 2012 9:54 am

Right..

New Retro Gamer will shortly be accompanying me outside in the garden :D Sonic Generations new £10.50 (work), 2010 South Africa preowned £5 (work), Tropico 4 new £17 (work), James Noir preowned £5.50 (work), NHL 2003 99p (Crack Converters), Super Mario Sunshine £5.99 (Crack Converters), Yoshi's Island Super Mario Advance 3 £5.99 (Crack Converters)

Pretty decent pickups I think :) Cocky son of a gun working in Crackies though; "Think you can make a profit on these, eh?". Cheeky get :D
Last edited by jcdentont1000 on Sun May 27, 2012 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
XBox 360 Gamertag: jcdentont1000
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: TBC (Now, where did I leave my 3DS..)

"Trust no one. Question everything."

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sun May 27, 2012 9:58 am

Traded in Battlefield 3 as i couldnt get on with it :( Bad Company 2 was much better IMO
Got £17 for it and got Kingdoms of Amalur for £19.99

Still wanting Asuras Wrath, Catherine & Dragons Dogma but dont wanna pay the prices atm. High Street prices are depressing.......