What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

richie freebird

Re: What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Post by richie freebird » Sat May 28, 2011 10:19 am

DPrinny wrote:The Saturn version is rubbish. It looked a mess back then. Even more so now
The graphics I could live with, that wasn’t much of an issue for me. I just thought the steering controls felt very unorthodox and it was this that impacted more greatly on my experience with the game.

What other versions exist then other than the Saturn?
And this bird you'll never change...

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat May 28, 2011 10:32 am

Megamixer wrote:
nokgod wrote: I've never heard of it but it seems to fetching quite the price on ebay :shock:
Well it's an SMT game and they are fan favourites in the JRPG genre. The same people also did the wonderful Persona games - don't know if you have heard of those? In any case - as somebody who likes the SMT games - I'd say that was a great find :)

Today I finally bought Super Mario Galaxy 2. Brand-new for £30 which I thought was reasonable since it's probably one of those Wii games that will hold it's price. Nice outer box with the (pointless) DVD inside as well.

Ah. I've heard of Persona..but i've never played it. Does look like a bargain though. :)

Nice one on getting SMG2. It's a brilliant game imo. Did it come with the Money Box?
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat May 28, 2011 10:37 am

Four C64 games: Action Biker, 1985, "I, Ball", and Thrust

They all worked (even I, Ball that had some dried stuff on the tape - probably coffee - that I had to wipe off to get it to read), but while I had Action Biker on, the power supply packed in, so I now have to share one C64 power supply between two C64s :(
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat May 28, 2011 10:38 am

nokgod wrote: Nice one on getting SMG2. It's a brilliant game imo. Did it come with the Money Box?
Um...no. Should it have or was that a special edition from somewhere? I just picked up the last new copy that HMV had on the shelf as an impulse buy. Loved the first game immensely but I've only recently got back into the Wii so I'd ignored the sequel up until now :oops:
Last edited by Megamixer on Sat May 28, 2011 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

richie freebird

Post by richie freebird » Sat May 28, 2011 10:43 am

necronom wrote:Four C64 games: Action Biker, 1985, "I, Ball", and Thrust

Wow, those games look gorgeous. It’s a system I’ve never owned or even played! I enjoyed the piece on C64 collecting in the Retro Gamer magazine the other month though!
And this bird you'll never change...

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat May 28, 2011 11:26 am

nokgod wrote:
and also picked up this weird titled PS2 game...which i've entered in the King of the Quids comp.

I've never heard of it but it seems to fetching quite the price on ebay :shock:

Lucky sod! Been after that for ages but it is a bugger to find at a fair price. :(
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Reglan

Post by Reglan » Sat May 28, 2011 11:41 am

I picked up the Saturn version of Daytona more for novelty than anything else.

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Sat May 28, 2011 11:43 am

My weekly Charity shop visits turn up very little (at least recently), but this week turned up quite a few games. Nothing great (in fact quite a bit of crap!), a quid each though, no complaints.

Doom
Independence Day
Road Rash
Williams Arcade's Greatest Hits
All PS1

Aliens versus Predator Extinction
Hunter The reckoning Redeemer
Both on XBOX

GTA on PC (Sold out version - I know it's free online, but it's an addition to my rapidly expanding GTA collection)
Half Life Generation (4 disc version on PC - not the single DVD version)

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat May 28, 2011 12:00 pm

Megamixer wrote:
nokgod wrote: Nice one on getting SMG2. It's a brilliant game imo. Did it come with the Money Box?
Um...no. Should it have or was that a special edition from somewhere? I just picked up the last new copy that HMV had on the shelf as an impulse buy. Loved the first game immensely but I've only recently got back into the Wii so I'd ignored the sequel up until now :oops:
I can't remember if it was a preorder thing from Game or not. Someone on here will remember better than me and my useless memory :lol:

Here's what it looks like anyway.
nakamura wrote:Lucky sod! Been after that for ages but it is a bugger to find at a fair price. :(
Well, i'll be sorting out a trade thread (only looking for GC stuff though) when i get back from holiday....as i seem to be getting snowed under again :lol:
It'll probably end up on there. I'll give you first dibs if it does :wink:
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Sat May 28, 2011 12:42 pm

That was indeed a good find. The last time i checked it was £40 used on amazon. You could probably get a better deal on it from patience on ebay but still, nice one!
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

rtrgrl78

Post by rtrgrl78 » Sat May 28, 2011 3:54 pm

Today - I picked up 'Tron Evolution' game from Asda, new for £7. Have heard mixed reactions, but will have a go and make my mind up, not got great expecations as it's a Disney one, will probably aimed at kids market and am sure their last big hit for the gaming market, was maybe 'Cars' or something along those lines? but they do release a game with every tie-in that you seem to see on the shelf whilst the films out on major release and then nothing. Or maybe even as further back to the days of 'Lion King' and 'Aladdin' though am not into buying games from Disney so a first in my collection. Did notice from the inlay that 'Toy Story 3' was one of theirs and I did fancy that. Had read somewhere on the web that Disney games are hard to download, as their pretty good at locking down their games and if you did get a download maybe foreign or half complete, interesting.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat May 28, 2011 4:14 pm

nokgod wrote:
nakamura wrote:Lucky sod! Been after that for ages but it is a bugger to find at a fair price. :(
Well, i'll be sorting out a trade thread (only looking for GC stuff though) when i get back from holiday....as i seem to be getting snowed under again :lol:
It'll probably end up on there. I'll give you first dibs if it does :wink:
Let me know mate. :D
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

KKnD

Post by KKnD » Sun May 29, 2011 1:53 am

Picked up a PS1 boxed, boxed PS1 light gun and an N64 box (just the box, I had an N64 already but wanted the cardboard to go with it :P)

Also picked up 2 N64 carts (Mario Kart 64 & Superman) and 2 NES carts (Sword Master & Smash TV)

This exact Vectrex and 6 games will be arriving in the next couple of days...

All in all, a pretty fantastic haul these past few days :) Oh, and the following C64 games will be coming in the next couple of days for the price of postage only!

Six Sizzlers pack (in bulky book style pack like old VHS movies came in) with
Big Trouble in Little China,
The Last Ninja,
Galactic Games,
X-15 Alpha Mission,
Labyrinth,
Firetrap.

Ghosts & Goblins
Paradroid
Value Pack (box)
Raging Beast.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Retro Gaming & Self Indulgent Musings @ http://mygurumeditation.wordpress.com/
KKND | Amiga4Eva | James Matson

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Sun May 29, 2011 3:30 am

Here's yesterday's lot for me, including items from a trade, flea purchases, local shop finds and something from eBay ;)

And yes, that is a second copy of Jetsons within a week. Good thing too as this one actually has it's manual...

SinclairStrange

Post by SinclairStrange » Sun May 29, 2011 5:08 am

Got myself a cheeky Game Gear (boxed) all working, sound everything for £7 off a mate. Bargin!
And I found myself these lovely Sonic games:

PAL:
Sonic 1 (boxed)
Sonic Chaos (boxed)
Sonic Drift 2 (unboxed)
Sonic Spinball (boxed)

JPN:
Sonic 1 (boxed)
Sonic 2 (boxed)
Sonic and Tails (boxed)
Sonic and Tails 2 (boxed)
Sonic Drift 1 (boxed)