What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

frank grimes

Post by frank grimes » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:35 am

I just set my Dreamcast up for a nice Sunday afternoon session just to find the laser's croaked. Gah!

I'm now looking around the net for a reasonably priced console.
Giving it 100%, 60% of the time.

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:58 am

I don't know how you all manage to find so many things at car boot sales... I went to one this morning, I did manage to find a Master System 2 with 9 games, 5 of them boxed for €25 (£20) even if I already had a MS2 I wanted the games (After Burner, California Games & Renegade mostly).
But otherwise, I there was really nothing else... (though I found Galerians on PS1, but the woman only sold it with the PS1 and other useless games)

Over the last three months, I've been to 5 car boot sales, and never saw anything really rare... (besides the typical Sega or Nintendo consoles and the most popular games)

Maybe I don't go far enough... I should probably go to bigger towns?
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:52 pm

Just embarking on rebuilding a retro collection for the forthcoming games room and have just bought a CPC464 with colour screen, CPC6128 with green screen, TV module, 125 games, and other paraphernalia for £30, which I didn't think was too bad.

Over the coming weeks will be looking for Nintendo NES, SNES, and N64. Sega MS, Megadrive, (possibly MegaCD), Saturn and DC.

Speccy, C64, Amiga, ST, Atari woody, Colecovision, Intellivision and an Original Playstation.

If anyone has any of the above to get rid of then let me know. I'm not looking for mint boxed or rare stuff, just generic and popular systems that most people owned back in the day. Mainly for display and ambience so bundles of games aren't essential, although I want to get working one's on the odd occasions someone feels the need for a bit of authentic retro gaming.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:55 pm

FatTrucker wrote:Just embarking on rebuilding a retro collection for the forthcoming games room and have just bought a CPC464 with colour screen, CPC6128 with green screen, TV module, 125 games, and other paraphernalia for £30, which I didn't think was too bad.

Over the coming weeks will be looking for Nintendo NES, SNES, and N64. Sega MS, Megadrive, (possibly MegaCD), Saturn and DC.

Speccy, C64, Amiga, ST, Atari woody, Colecovision, Intellivision and an Original Playstation.

If anyone has any of the above to get rid of then let me know. I'm not looking for mint boxed or rare stuff, just generic and popular systems that most people owned back in the day. Mainly for display and ambience so bundles of games aren't essential, although I want to get working one's on the odd occasions someone feels the need for a bit of authentic retro gaming.
Just semi-finished my games room (but without decoration, will put photos of it on the other thread in a bit)

thl

Post by thl » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:06 pm

Went to another car boot today and got:

- Silent Service (NES) - £1

- Gamecube (with controller, memory card, AV cable and power supply) - £7

Also when I check inside the CD tray, I found Mario Party 5. Can't believed how lucky I am.

Dan1980

Post by Dan1980 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:45 pm

My two of these came today www.play-asia.com/paOS-14-71-c-49-en.html

I got one black and one blue, now all ive got to do is find a screen that i can attach with the least amount of soldering/wiring to be done. :D

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:40 pm

Dan1980 wrote:My two of these came today www.play-asia.com/paOS-14-71-c-49-en.html

I got one black and one blue, now all ive got to do is find a screen that i can attach with the least amount of soldering/wiring to be done. :D
Do you mean you're going to fit it to the top of the screen or something? (like the Super Famicom TV that Sharp made?).

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

Dan1980

Post by Dan1980 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:46 pm

EnglishRob wrote:
Dan1980 wrote:My two of these came today www.play-asia.com/paOS-14-71-c-49-en.html

Do you mean you're going to fit it to the top of the screen or something? (like the Super Famicom TV that Sharp made?).

Rob
my plan is to make my own portable one using a screen meant for a ps1 and yes i know that the nomad is a portable megadrive but its a bit heavy and i think the battery life is very poor,so im going to try and run the whole thing off a camcorder battery :)

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:45 pm

i just won The Immortal off ebay.......

i can't wait!!!!!! :D :D
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:24 pm

plus i picked up today Monster Land Wonder Boy III on Mega Drive for three quid. Complete.

bargain?
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:51 pm

Went to Gloucester today (for the third time in a week) on the off chance that my day off work could get me some decent games. A couple maybe.
I walked into Gamestation and from then on It sort of blurs. My haul, and oh my it's a haul, was:

Sega Worldwide Soccer 97
International Victory Goal
Pandemonium
Wipeout 2097
X Men Children of the Atom
Duke Nukem 3D
all on saturn. Nothing amazing I know. But seeing as they were 5 pence each, on buy one get one free, I think 15 pence for that was a bargain and a half!

Also
Dino Crisis 2 (PSX)
BlueStinger (DC)
5 pence each again on BOGOF. So thats 8 games for 20 pence so far..

Wyane Gretzky 98
and Rayman 2
on the N64 for...yep, 5 pence each Bogof. So 25 pence for 10 games..

Wrestle War on MD, Turok on N64 and Road Avenger on MCD came to about 2.05...

And also into that i got a boxed Super Mario 64. All the above for £8.29...can't be bad can it?

Apologies for the length of this post, but i went back and got...

A boxed Mega CD (I bought Road avenger on the off chance of one day getting one) for 20 something quid, and a master system with 5 games for 20.(nothing amazing, Shadow of the beast, Assault City, World Soccer (eurgh), Great golf (eek) and censored tracy, but I needed another MS)
And...

Pilotwings 64, Waialae Country Club, Turok 2 and Star Wars Rogue Squadron all on N64 for about a tenner.(all boxed too)
Rambo III, Ace of Aces, Jurassic Park, Sagaia and TransBot for the MS; all unboxed but 25 pence each.
Bionic Commando, Solar Jetman and Quattro sports for the NES; all unboxed for 3 quid.
NHLPA hockey 93 on the SNES for a quid
FIFA 64 for a quid
Road Rash unboxed for the MD for a quid
Super Return of the Jedi, Star Trek Generations, Micro Machines 1 and 2 twin turbo on the Game Boy, all for under 3 quid.

Oh, and i nearly forgot my favourite part of the whole trip: Picked up Sonic Jam and Sonic R for Saturn for 9 quid for both of em.

Not a bad days buying. Thoughts? Anything i paid too much for or any incredible bargains?

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:03 pm

Space_turnip wrote:Went to Gloucester today (for the third time in a week) on the off chance that my day off work could get me some decent games. A couple maybe.
I walked into Gamestation and from then on It sort of blurs. My haul, and oh my it's a haul, was:

Sega Worldwide Soccer 97
International Victory Goal
Pandemonium
Wipeout 2097
X Men Children of the Atom
Duke Nukem 3D
all on saturn. Nothing amazing I know. But seeing as they were 5 pence each, on buy one get one free, I think 15 pence for that was a bargain and a half!

Also
Dino Crisis 2 (PSX)
BlueStinger (DC)
5 pence each again on BOGOF. So thats 8 games for 20 pence so far..

Wyane Gretzky 98
and Rayman 2
on the N64 for...yep, 5 pence each Bogof. So 25 pence for 10 games..

Wrestle War on MD, Turok on N64 and Road Avenger on MCD came to about 2.05...

And also into that i got a boxed Super Mario 64. All the above for £8.29...can't be bad can it?

Apologies for the length of this post, but i went back and got...

A boxed Mega CD (I bought Road avenger on the off chance of one day getting one) for 20 something quid, and a master system with 5 games for 20.(nothing amazing, Shadow of the beast, Assault City, World Soccer (eurgh), Great golf (eek) and censored tracy, but I needed another MS)
And...

Pilotwings 64, Waialae Country Club, Turok 2 and Star Wars Rogue Squadron all on N64 for about a tenner.(all boxed too)
Rambo III, Ace of Aces, Jurassic Park, Sagaia and TransBot for the MS; all unboxed but 25 pence each.
Bionic Commando, Solar Jetman and Quattro sports for the NES; all unboxed for 3 quid.
NHLPA hockey 93 on the SNES for a quid
FIFA 64 for a quid
Road Rash unboxed for the MD for a quid
Super Return of the Jedi, Star Trek Generations, Micro Machines 1 and 2 twin turbo on the Game Boy, all for under 3 quid.

Oh, and i nearly forgot my favourite part of the whole trip: Picked up Sonic Jam and Sonic R for Saturn for 9 quid for both of em.

Not a bad days buying. Thoughts? Anything i paid too much for or any incredible bargains?
Outstanding haul, man i'm impressed - you've inspired me to get wrestle war, I'd forgotten how much fun i've had on that game...

JimMiller

Post by JimMiller » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:39 pm

Well, 5p buy one get one free on some decent Saturn games there is very nice. 20-odd quid seems pretty good for a boxed Mega CD, was it the megadrive 1 version or the 2? Great deal either way, but if it was 1 then I'm envious, been after a box for mine for ages - I'd even buy the empty box off you if it was in good nick :)
I did manage to get hold of the extremely rare (5,000 copies made) Worms:The Director's Cut today for the Amiga in very nice condition. I think it was Team 17's last game. I bought this for a price I was very happy to pay for a game I wanted so much, £16.50 delivered - so how well did I do here? Does anybody know what this might be worth or how sought after it is? I've only seen it for sale before once ever and they were asking about £45 on ebay. Did Retro Gamer have a Worms feature at some point as I'm sure I remember it getting a quick mention somewhere?

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:54 pm

Mega Drive 2 version i'm afraid :wink: ; looks lovely though, will play on it tomorrow, been sorting through everything tonight!

The 5p on Saturn games was excellent, but i'm chuffed with everything I got today really. Will be back to gamestation soon, there was loads more there I would have got had i any more money on me. I wait months for some amazing deals to come along, and then...boom, thousands in one go. Anyone want to offer me a job which pays some decent money? :?

Ocoo1

Post by Ocoo1 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:29 am

It's my birthday today!!!! and i'll be getting a brand spanking new DS bundled with New Super Mario Bros.
Last week i went out and bought,
Legend of Zelda phantom hourglass ( best game series EVER! ),
Animal Crossing wild world.
Hope to get Super Mario 64 DS soon.