What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:31 am

JimMiller wrote:Those Megaman games look great, what do you think of Megaman ZX on the DS? I picked that up new for £10 over Christmas and it looks pretty good. Are the 2 psp Megaman games any good also as I was considering getting those at some point? I've picked up some very rare and top quality retro gear lately (past 6 - 8 weeks), partly to cheer myself up and to give myself something to look forward to whilst enduring the misery of exam revision as a mature student :) I got Adventures of Little Ralph and zanac x zanac from Compile for playstation, the zanac neo remake is wicked. Hyper Duel for the Saturn shooter collection which cost a lot but is a game I've wanted for years - what an awesome shooter it is too, better than the arcade machine I believe due to the extra options. It's games like this that make the Saturn one of my favourite systems of all time. Ghost Sweeper Mikami for the Super Famicom was a nice find at Genki too, how rare is this game? I never even saw it for sale anywhere before. I won an ebay auction on the surprisingly hard to find Lazy Jones for c64 yesterday too for £3.24 inclusive, an actual bargain for me on ebay - hurray.
ZX is well worth playing, it plays closest to the Mega Man Zero series (the previous quartet of MM games released on the GBA) except this time you get bio metals to transform into different characters which have there own unique attacks and abilities. It still closely resembles the MM series with lots of cool enemies, instant death spikes and awesome boss fights at the end of each stage so its well worth playing.

The 2 PSP Mega Man games (Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X) are definetly worth getting. Powered Up is a remake of the original Mega Man released for the Nes. It has 2 brand new bosses (to bring the total up to 8 like every other MM game after it) all new levels (for every character) playable bosses (fireman, iceman etc.) an awsome challenge mode and a stage builder. Unless you put off by the super deformed art stlye then buy this one ASAP.

Maverick Hunter X is a slight retool of the original Mega Man X, essentially the same game (with polygon character models and remixed music) it has had some slight tweaks to it. Armor parts are now hidden in completely different places, the fortress stages are completely different and you now get to play as Vile. Well worth getting as well, unless you've never played MMX in which case you need to get it.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:00 am

Mass effect
Art of fighting 2 (Grr)
Atari 2600
ZX speccy
Manic miner

JimMiller

Post by JimMiller » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:48 pm

Thanks for the info on the psp Megaman games Shadowman. I didn't actually know that maverick hunter x was a remake, they do sound really good as well so I'll have to seek them out asap. Dan had a good week there with those games, some corkers there and Story of Thor 2 is one I'd like to try in particular as I thought the original was good.
I picked up Scarface and the latest Turtles game for ps2 new from comet, Turtles may not be the greatest game but they were 99p each! It might be worth people having a look in their local comets as they are clearing their older stock cheaply at the moment. I just got Bubble and Squeak for the megadrive, it looks like a nice 2d platformer. Does anybody know if this is the same as the amiga version which I really liked or a different game? I assumed that it would be the same but looking at the box shots on the back now I'm not so sure. I can't see them bothering to create a whole different game rather than porting it across but who knows. A SNES SOS cart for £4, I already have the Jap version (Septentrion) boxed but I thought it might be nice to play it in English. Super Play gave this about 88% back in the day, it's a 2d platformer on a sinking ship where the screen can rotate - a good game that seems little known. Not to be confused with Sink or Swim(SOS) which is something very different. I got a boxed US version of Axelay in very good nick for £12 too. Starfox Command on DS for £10 from the game collection, they may still have some if anybody is interested.

Beef

Post by Beef » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:58 pm

Equinox for the SNES - £5

Anyone know if this is any good? I thought it was kinda cheap for an RPG so bought it. How much would it usually sell for?

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:15 am

PS1 (mini version), memory card plus Gran T, Wipeout and others for £20.
Turbografx from forum member Oli_Lar.

Until my attic conversion is complete I will have to stop at 17 consoles. :(

davrho

Post by davrho » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:53 am

Circle of Doom. Visually impressive but not too sure if i will get into it.

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:33 am

Just bought Ferrari F355 Challenge for the PS2... Nice version too, and only £1.99!

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

DanDan the sega man

Post by DanDan the sega man » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:51 pm

I don't understand. You were too lazy to send back a £300 machine, for free, for a free repair?

Can I send it back?[/quote]

it wasnt that i was too lazy, its just that i only get sunday off work every week{the joys of having a mortgage} so i would not be in for anyone to collect it or when it got sent back. and people still pay over £100 for a non working one on e-bay so thats where ill be putting mine :)

TMR

Post by TMR » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:02 pm

DanDan the sega man wrote:it wasnt that i was too lazy, its just that i only get sunday off work every week{the joys of having a mortgage} so i would not be in for anyone to collect it or when it got sent back. and people still pay over £100 for a non working one on e-bay so thats where ill be putting mine :)
Our local DO opens at 7am (i've got two of their cards, need to collect a few odds and sods tomorrow!) so you'd be able to pick up a bounced package around that time on every day apart from Sunday...?

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:22 pm

Today I got one of the games that have been top of my list for some time now:

I now have complete copies of all 5 Mega Man games for the Nes that were released in Europe.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:27 pm

ShadowMan wrote:Today I got one of the games that have been top of my list for some time now:

I now have complete copies of all 5 Mega Man games for the Nes that were released in Europe.
That's all of 'em now right?
Shadowman - when will you be at peace?

MC1

Post by MC1 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:31 pm

sscott wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:Today I got one of the games that have been top of my list for some time now:

Or featured in RG?

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:59 pm

MC1 wrote:
sscott wrote:

Or featured in RG?
I guess so!

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:36 pm

now i can sleep tonight, because i got for the bargain price of £3.04....

KISS PSYCHO CIRCUS DREAMCAST version!!!

complete and in mint condition.

Ebay, you are my new best friend (i just wish my tv led wouldn't go spazzy on me!!)!!!!
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

John

Post by John » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:47 pm

Picked up a Sega Genesis 2 for $2.00 and an AC adapter for $1.00 this past weekend. I'll be able to add that to the Genesis 3 already in my collection.

At the same shop I scored four N64 games: Snowboard Kids, Waverace 64, Flying Dragon, and Goldeneye 007 - all for $10.00.

Up the street I discovered another shop that had thier NES game supply wiped out by a guy who got an itch for all things NES. Looks like there is another NES fan in my midst, one with a lot of cash and hitting nearby stores in the county.

- John