What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Alex79uk2

Re: What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Post by Alex79uk2 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:14 am

ALK wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:03 am
Sunset Riders- FINALLY saw its first rerelease since the SNES/MD ports on Switch and PS4. Been waiting a long time to be reunited with this game and can happily say, it still holds up.

Oh and the first 3 Seasons of Walking Dead were £3-ish on Switch so nabbed those too.
I'd been checking news literally twice a day since Sunset Riders was announced so was so pleased it finally came out! I love that game. I'm trying to 1cc it, but so far I can get to the third level boss without losing a life, but then they all go pretty quickly whilst fighting him. Need to work out how to beat him properly!

Alex79uk2

Post by Alex79uk2 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:06 am

Anyone had a chance to try one of these?

https://retrododo.com/rg350m/

I currently use my Vita for handheld emulation, but it would be nice to have a dedicated machine, and well, it's another new gadget isn't it. :lol:

Seems to have had decent reviews but wondered if anyone had any first hand experience of trying one out?

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:50 pm

I've not had a go on the RG350M but I've used the earlier RG350 and it's a decent bit of kit. If you've ever seen a GCW Zero, that's also basically the same hardware. It's just been re-engineered to take away most of that machine's rough edges. Another almost identical machine is the PocketGo 2, so if you're looking at that too much the same comments would apply.

I'd think it a better emulator handheld than the Vita, but with some caveats. On the plus side, it's smaller, lighter and very much pocket sized. The CPU is clocked over twice as fast which is the crucial factor for emulation. It runs Dingux, so Linux ports are a relative doddle and only Windows and Android get better emulators. The battery is good for up to six hours. There's a 4:3 screen so no letterboxing or stretching is required for the platforms you're going to run on it. The build quality is also really good; it actually feels comparable to a Vita or 3DS in its construction and the newer metal case is reportedly even better.

On the downside, the screen is much smaller than the Vita in an obvious trade-off for being a more compact unit overall. The TV output doesn't work properly and a software fix has been stuck in beta for ages. Emulation also tops out at the PS1 so you don't get access to significant platforms that the Vita can't emulate at all, just better emulation of the ones that it can.

Still, for the money, I'd think that it's as good as you're likely to get for the foreseeable future. There are better emulation handhelds out there, like the Moqi I7S and the GPD Win 2 but they're a lot more expensive. Even the GPD XD+, which I'd think is the next clear step up, is around twice the price.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:10 am

Just bought a ton of cheap 3ds games from Argus the Bravely Second box set was a steal at £3.99

Fire Emblem 99p, Monster Hunter £1.99 all the Yo Kai Watch games and Harvest Moon £2.99 each, Mario and Luigi £1.99, Style Boutique 3 £4.99 still £30 on Ebay and a few other 99p games, WarioWare gold was also £2.99 got myself a spare copy.. Didn't bother with dead head Fred or the Metroid multiplayer game
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

ulrich7ad

Post by ulrich7ad » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:26 am

The wife just ordered me a switch, coming friday.😀 Just got to pick a game now.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:40 am

I've been hammering the Evercade over the weekend. Only played the first Atari pack but having fun with it.

Alex79uk2

Post by Alex79uk2 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:49 am

Matt_B wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:50 pm
I've not had a go on the RG350M but I've used the earlier RG350 and it's a decent bit of kit. If you've ever seen a GCW Zero, that's also basically the same hardware. It's just been re-engineered to take away most of that machine's rough edges. Another almost identical machine is the PocketGo 2, so if you're looking at that too much the same comments would apply.

I'd think it a better emulator handheld than the Vita, but with some caveats. On the plus side, it's smaller, lighter and very much pocket sized. The CPU is clocked over twice as fast which is the crucial factor for emulation. It runs Dingux, so Linux ports are a relative doddle and only Windows and Android get better emulators. The battery is good for up to six hours. There's a 4:3 screen so no letterboxing or stretching is required for the platforms you're going to run on it. The build quality is also really good; it actually feels comparable to a Vita or 3DS in its construction and the newer metal case is reportedly even better.

On the downside, the screen is much smaller than the Vita in an obvious trade-off for being a more compact unit overall. The TV output doesn't work properly and a software fix has been stuck in beta for ages. Emulation also tops out at the PS1 so you don't get access to significant platforms that the Vita can't emulate at all, just better emulation of the ones that it can.

Still, for the money, I'd think that it's as good as you're likely to get for the foreseeable future. There are better emulation handhelds out there, like the Moqi I7S and the GPD Win 2 but they're a lot more expensive. Even the GPD XD+, which I'd think is the next clear step up, is around twice the price.
That's really helpful, thank you :)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:33 am

No problem.

There seems to be a new one of these Chinese consoles out every month but most of them have one hideous flaw, be it the build quality, the ergonomics, or in notable one case (the RK2020) they were caught pirating someone else's firmware and had to remove it from future shipments. However the RG350 checks out on all those fronts so you're getting something decent for your money.

There's also an RG280M coming soon, in an even smaller 2.8 inch form factor. I'm not overly tempted myself, but that should add another option.

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:45 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:10 am
Just bought a ton of cheap 3ds games from Argus the Bravely Second box set was a steal at £3.99

Fire Emblem 99p, Monster Hunter £1.99 all the Yo Kai Watch games and Harvest Moon £2.99 each, Mario and Luigi £1.99, Style Boutique 3 £4.99 still £30 on Ebay and a few other 99p games, WarioWare gold was also £2.99 got myself a spare copy.. Didn't bother with dead head Fred or the Metroid multiplayer game
Don't suppose they have anymore copies of that Bravely Second boxset in your area? It never seems to be in-stock in my area. I'd happily pay postage to send one to me if so. :)
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

MattySlug

Post by MattySlug » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:31 am

Yesterday for under $10 Total I got 4 Games!!!
Dirt 3 PS3 $2.
Agents of Mayhem new XB1 $1
NHL 16 XB1 $2
Dead Rising 4 XB1 $5

merman

Post by merman » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:14 pm

My wife finally bought us a Switch 👍
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:39 pm

ALK wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:45 pm
Shinobi wrote:

Don't suppose they have anymore copies of that Bravely Second boxset in your area? It never seems to be in-stock in my area. I'd happily pay postage to send one to me if so. :)
I had a check for you and I got my friend Tuna to check up by him but nothing. I added it to my wish list so if it comes back in I will get notified and I will pick up for you.

As my local Argus had most of the games bar Dragon Quest, Fire Emblem, and Harvest Moon. Fingers crossed they should get more stock of Bravely I just wanted the Agnes figure that came with it
Last edited by Shinobi on Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:21 am

ALK wrote:
Shinobi wrote:

Same here!

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:14 am

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order for my PS4.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:06 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:39 pm
ALK wrote:
Shinobi wrote:

I had a check for you and I got my friend Tuna to check up by him but nothing. I added it to my wish list so if it comes back in I will get notified and I will pick up for you.

As my local Argus had most of the games bar Dragon Quest, Fire Emblem, and Harvest Moon. Fingers crossed they should get more stock of Bravely I just wanted the Agnes figure that came with it
Many thanks! :)
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.