What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Re: What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Post by Megamixer » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:17 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:35 pm
Megamixer wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:15 pm
Final Fight Streetwise for the PS2. Terrible rep but after watching some gameplay and forgetting about the Final Fight name, the game itself actually looks...okay? So I bought a copy. Looking forward to giving it a go when I get the chance :)
Oh you poor soul. You've no idea what you've unleashed. As a big Capcom fan I've played this game to completion. And its awful. Just... really, really awful. Its actually really sad as the canned version of this game (that went onto become Streetwise) was originally going to be far closer to the original games in design. But due to miscommunication in wanting something more gritty (like GTA) we got Streetwise. Still, I think its better than FF Revenge, which is even worse.
If you've never played it, give Urban Reign (from Namco), Spikeout (Sega) and Beatdown (from Capcom) a try for similar games that are far better. Oh, and that series that Spikeout evolved from by Sega featuring Yakuza. I forget the title though ;)
Sorry to disappoint you but...I'm enjoying it! Once I pushed away the "Final Fight" name and forgot that it was related to the previous games, I actually got into it. It's got some of that "so-bad-it's-great" appeal with the ridiculous NPC characters (such as the hookers asking "do you want a shag?" :lol: ) and the fighting is kind of decent.

Also looking forward to facing Cammy in the pit and seeing what she looks/sounds like in this game!

The only thing that really does my head in so far is the save system because it isn't clear that you have to a) quit the game to save and b) if you don't do it after an important cutscene (which seems to be an invisible checkpoint) then you will lose all progress since the last save.

Been after Urban Reign for sure but I never see it in shops and I've been losing auctions on ebay (it seems to sell higher than it used to for sure). I have Beatdown which I completed and I do think it is a real hidden gem on the PS2. Spikeout I can't play as I no longer have an Xbox unless there was a PS2 port I don't know about...

And I'd never forget Yakuza!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:30 pm

Not sure Cammy (or Sodom for that matter) ever made it into the game. I've seen concept art for both, but never found them in the main game or arcade mode.

Also, just wait until the fire extinguisher bit in the main game. Its really silly, and really badly programmed!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:14 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:30 pm
Not sure Cammy (or Sodom for that matter) ever made it into the game. I've seen concept art for both, but never found them in the main game or arcade mode.

Also, just wait until the fire extinguisher bit in the main game. Its really silly, and really badly programmed!
Cammy is an optional fight in the 'pit'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygioobu6y_s
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:25 pm

Japanese import of Okami for the Switch. Looking forward to playing this highly rated game... sometime next year probably. :lol:
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

HdE

Post by HdE » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:27 am

DPrinny wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:07 am
^Dreamcasts aint that expensive
Let me put it another way: They are if you want one that has an assured level of past care and isn't in danger of having the laser crap out literally who-knows-when. (Nice score on the GDemu, by the way - is that the real deal or one of the Chinese ones?)

In other news, I've at least had a bit of success with a dodgy purchase from the weekend. I bought a copy of Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams for PS2, and discovered, when trying to rip it to my modded PS2's internal HDD, that disc 2 wasn't reading properly due to having a couple of unsightly burrs on the read surface.

I gave it a couple of spins through my motorised disc repair machine. Wasn't hopeful, to be honest, but after a third pass, it worked a treat! Although I do feel the repair machine itself looks like something you could plug a controller into...

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:40 am

HdE wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:27 am
DPrinny wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:07 am
^Dreamcasts aint that expensive
Let me put it another way: They are if you want one that has an assured level of past care and isn't in danger of having the laser crap out literally who-knows-when. (Nice score on the GDemu, by the way - is that the real deal or one of the Chinese ones?)
Oh its real, could of gotten a clone for less, but waiting to hear back on if they are decent
Im also keeping my eye on other loaders for it
The lazers on them tend to be reliable, its just when people use crap quality CD-Rs
They are fifty for a fiver for a reason

HdE

Post by HdE » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:00 am

DPrinny wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:40 am
Oh its real, could of gotten a clone for less, but waiting to hear back on if they are decent
Im also keeping my eye on other loaders for it.
Oh, NICE one! Gotta say, solutions to optical drives like that do interest me. I hear almost unanimous bad reports about the Chinese GDemu units, though.
DPrinny wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:40 am
The lazers on them tend to be reliable, its just when people use crap quality CD-Rs
They are fifty for a fiver for a reason
This is interesting, because it runs contrary to what I hear all over the net. From what I gather, the laser assemblies were notoriously prone to failure. THAT SAID, I'm really not clued up when it comes to Dreamcast hardware, especially where revisions are concerned.

Generally, any time I buy a retro console, it's usually after hours, nay weeks spent scouring listings and communicating with sellers. I also tend to budget for spare parts. If I could source a replacement optical drive block for a Dreamcast as easily as I can, say, a Playstation 2, I'd be all over it.

You'd think, what with retro gaming being a developing scene, some enterprising parties would start producing quality spare parts for those older consoles. Wishful thinking, maybe...

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:31 am

The one problem I have with the DC is the disc drive

Its really noisy

As far as CD based systems go the Playstation has a higher death rate
Replacing lazers wont ever really be a thing, the market isnt that big and most people have a "Its broken, bin/sell it" attitude to it
I have read of some using PC CD-rom drives and replacing the drive with that

So far on the Dreamcast you have
GD USB (or something) a Russain guy makes them, they are suppost to be the best with a price that matches
GDEMU, what I have
Hard solding a hard drive connector to the DC, messy, hard to do and dont look appealing
SD card reader via the expansion port, patchy, not 100% still needs the GDRom drive for Dreamshell (might of changed)
Theres another thing on the horizon that is also a HDD method that goes in with the main drive and slots between the two

If only people would start working on the PS1, the only thing we have so far is the PS-IO

HdE

Post by HdE » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:13 am

DPrinny wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:31 am
Replacing lazers wont ever really be a thing, the market isnt that big and most people have a "Its broken, bin/sell it" attitude to it
I spotted Zedlabs selling replacement Gamecube lasers a while back, which seemed to be their own units. So it seems to me that it can be done. It's just whether the demad is there, as you imply.

Hard drive mods for older CD / DVD based consoles definitely interest me. More reliable (in theory) than optical media, and you get to back up your own legit, legally owned games. Solid win.

I'm AMAZED that I haven't heard of such a thing for the original Playstation.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:40 pm

HdE wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:13 am
DPrinny wrote:
I spotted Zedlabs selling replacement Gamecube lasers a while back, which seemed to be their own units. So it seems to me that it can be done. It's just whether the demad is there, as you imply.

Hard drive mods for older CD / DVD based consoles definitely interest me. More reliable (in theory) than optical media, and you get to back up your own legit, legally owned games. Solid win.

I kinda sparked a conversation about this on Assembler games
Is a SD/USB disc drive replacement possible for one?
They say it might not be as the way it handles data from the disc drive
(It preloads everything thats why a lot of PS games have long loading screens)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:11 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:14 pm
ShadowMan wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:30 pm

Cammy is an optional fight in the 'pit'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygioobu6y_s
That's interesting indeed. Completely missed that on my run through. Well, at least that gives me something to do when I get round to it on my Capcom playthrough. Thanks for the heads up.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:08 am

Now up to 150 2600 games
Didnt know Bump'n'jump was boxed

Urgh

MatOfTheDead

Post by MatOfTheDead » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:24 am

DPrinny wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:40 pm
HdE wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:13 am
DPrinny wrote:

I kinda sparked a conversation about this on Assembler games
Is a SD/USB disc drive replacement possible for one?
They say it might not be as the way it handles data from the disc drive
(It preloads everything thats why a lot of PS games have long loading screens)
My PS2 that was brought for me Christmas 2002 is still going strong now that said i put a hard drive and network adapter in it around about 2004 (when hdloader hit) i mainly use it for installing/testing games ive brought but its pretty strong

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:18 am

I just use FHDB on mine
Saves time

also
Picked up these
Tekken from Poundland, headset from Facebook

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:36 pm

Welp, just picked up my first console from a charity shop.
WP_20180824_002.jpg
WP_20180824_002.jpg (417.13 KiB) Viewed 663 times
£8. No cables, no Wiimote, and only a Brain Academy disc inside the system, but for a boxed system, thats pretty good for the more uncommon Blue console than say a White one, and boxed too.

They also had a Fat PS3, but were offering that for £50 (And no, doesnt sound like its a 60GB as the guy who got to it first had a look and was certain it wasnt.)
Last edited by ALK on Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.