What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ShadowMan

Re: What games/consoles have you bought this week??

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:06 pm

Shinobi wrote:Friend gave me Forbidden Siren 2 on PS2 for free said it was too depressing with the kids parents getting killed at the beginning.. I love Survival Horror but am not familiar with this game controls are a bit weird and those Ringu Girls and other Onryō: Vengeful ghosts or whatever they are I can't seem to kill them but can sight jack them..

Also a 3DS R4 and Valis 3 PC Engine cd where cheap.. Left behind about 20 PS2 games in the charity shop all 50p each stuff like Getaway, Soul Calibre and allLOTR, GTA games and something called Sniper Elie among others
Your in for a treat with Siren. Its a janky yet fun series. Believe it or not the first game is actually worse controls wise, with it being rather cumbersome to control or perform simple actions. The atmosphere, story and levels though are some of the best in the genre (in my opinion) so even with all its problems it remains one of the best in the genre for me. Siren 2 is different. You get more weaponry, especially guns so its more action orientated in places, though the sight jacking still plays a big part. Its not quite as good in my opinion, I favour the story of the first game over the second one but its still really good. And yeah, you can't kill enemies, just stun them. So the best thing to do is to avoid them all together where possible as ammo is limited.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:33 am

Treguard wrote:
theantmeister wrote:shudder The Thing
Is that shudder it's scary or shudder it's bad, because if it's the latter, them's fighting words! I really enjoyed that game, despite some dodgy AI. Probably one of the best movie tie ins in a long time.
It's the latter. Also, you fight like a dairy farmer!

I don't know if it was because I came to it late, but the controls feel very much like an early 3D game - you know, the ones where they hadn't quite worked out the controls for a 3rd person shooter (see: Fade to Black). It did have a lot going for it, I'll give you that, but it also had problems.

Also, that ending...

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:43 am

ShadowMan wrote:
Shinobi wrote:Friend gave me Forbidden Siren 2 on PS2 for free said it was too depressing with the kids parents getting killed at the beginning.. I love Survival Horror but am not familiar with this game controls are a bit weird and those Ringu Girls and other Onryō: Vengeful ghosts or whatever they are I can't seem to kill them but can sight jack them..

Also a 3DS R4 and Valis 3 PC Engine cd where cheap.. Left behind about 20 PS2 games in the charity shop all 50p each stuff like Getaway, Soul Calibre and allLOTR, GTA games and something called Sniper Elie among others
Your in for a treat with Siren. Its a janky yet fun series. Believe it or not the first game is actually worse controls wise, with it being rather cumbersome to control or perform simple actions. The atmosphere, story and levels though are some of the best in the genre (in my opinion) so even with all its problems it remains one of the best in the genre for me. Siren 2 is different. You get more weaponry, especially guns so its more action orientated in places, though the sight jacking still plays a big part. Its not quite as good in my opinion, I favour the story of the first game over the second one but its still really good. And yeah, you can't kill enemies, just stun them. So the best thing to do is to avoid them all together where possible as ammo is limited.
If you recommend it I will give it a try then Shadowman:). I must be thinking of the Forbidden Siren 1 and that car puzzle at the beginning of the game.. I remember playing as a female student in a school with all the teachers have turned into ghosts.. Would I need to play the first game to understand the story or where the ghosts come from I assume isn't explained?

Kuon is my favourite PS2 game so I'm hoping Siren will play similar as in messing with your head.. Have you played Extermination or Cold Fear PS2 and or they any good? I remember playing Cold Fears year ago you could not save and no monsters or anything horror related, Extermination I'm told is garbage I think it's the only PS2 survival horror games I've not played ...
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:00 am

theantmeister wrote:
Treguard wrote:
theantmeister wrote:shudder The Thing
Is that shudder it's scary or shudder it's bad, because if it's the latter, them's fighting words! I really enjoyed that game, despite some dodgy AI. Probably one of the best movie tie ins in a long time.

I don't know if it was because I came to it late, but the controls feel very much like an early 3D game - you know, the ones where they hadn't quite worked out the controls for a 3rd person shooter (see: Fade to Black). It did have a lot going for it, I'll give you that, but it also had problems.

Also, that ending...
I played The Thing a couple of years back. It hasn't aged well at all.

It's a pretty good movie to game translation in terms of what it tried to do with the licence, but it isn't much fun or particularly scary, more annoying than anything.

I don't even recall that much about the gameplay, just that I didn't enjoy it much.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:14 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
theantmeister wrote:
Treguard wrote:

Also, that ending...

It's a pretty good movie to game translation in terms of what it tried to do with the licence, but it isn't much fun or particularly scary, more annoying than anything.

I don't even recall that much about the gameplay, just that I didn't enjoy it much.
I can't imagine how clunky it would feel playing it now. I always remember The Thing because it brought a personal run of good games to an end. I'd played Eternal Darkness, Fahrenheit and Call Of Cthulhu: Dark Corners Of The Earth one after the other and was looking for more in that vein. Somebody suggested The Thing and it was a complete turkey.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:02 am

Shinobi wrote: If you recommend it I will give it a try then Shadowman:). I must be thinking of the Forbidden Siren 1 and that car puzzle at the beginning of the game.. I remember playing as a female student in a school with all the teachers have turned into ghosts.. Would I need to play the first game to understand the story or where the ghosts come from I assume isn't explained?

Kuon is my favourite PS2 game so I'm hoping Siren will play similar as in messing with your head.. Have you played Extermination or Cold Fear PS2 and or they any good? I remember playing Cold Fears year ago you could not save and no monsters or anything horror related, Extermination I'm told is garbage I think it's the only PS2 survival horror games I've not played ...
Yeah, your talking about the first Siren game - the school level was from the first game fairly early on. There is a level much later in the game at a house, where the little girl from the school has to escape the house (its one of my favourite levels in the entire game, incredibly messed up and creepy).

Kuon I still need to play. I've got a PAL copy but I've not really played all that much yet, I did like what I played though. Cold Fear was ok from what I played, not the most amazing game, felt like it was trying to be Resident Evil 4 based on an oil rig.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:50 am

Really on a SNES kind of vibe at the moment - just picked up the Tetris & Dr. Mario 2-in-1 cart.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:52 am

Red PSP 3000. £50. Really nice condition, though got a small scratch on the screen at the top which I didn't notice at the time. Shouldn't affect gameplay but I would have asked for £5/10 off.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:46 am

The Beans wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:
theantmeister wrote: It's the latter. Also, you fight like a dairy farmer!

Also, that ending...

I can't imagine how clunky it would feel playing it now. I always remember The Thing because it brought a personal run of good games to an end. I'd played Eternal Darkness, Fahrenheit and Call Of Cthulhu: Dark Corners Of The Earth one after the other and was looking for more in that vein. Somebody suggested The Thing and it was a complete turkey.
I wouldn't describe it as a complete turkey. As I said it's got some serious issues with the AI, and the annoying fact that the game is scripted so occasionally one of your guys will just 'trigger' and mutate, and you'll lose everything they had and you have no control over who it is, but as a fan of the film I enjoyed it. I certainly enjoyed it more than Fahrenheit, which took a brilliant and immersive first half and then just completely dumped on it in the second half of the game. Such potential, just wasted.

David

Post by David » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:50 pm

Fifa 16
Nba live 16
Nhl 16
Battlefield 4 premium
Battlefield hardline

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:25 pm

Future Tone purchased and downloading. :)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:28 am

A MANLY pink PS2 controller

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:41 am

The Beans wrote:I can't imagine how clunky it would feel playing it now. I always remember The Thing because it brought a personal run of good games to an end. I'd played Eternal Darkness, Fahrenheit and Call Of Cthulhu: Dark Corners Of The Earth one after the other and was looking for more in that vein. Somebody suggested The Thing and it was a complete turkey.
Is Dark Corners of the Earth worth a look? I passed on it back then following the Videogaiden review. Rab made it seem horribly flawed.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Mortis

Post by Mortis » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:41 pm

Recently bought:

Original Gameboy £3
Nintendo DS Lite £3.50
Sega Master System controller £1.50
40 Ps2 'decent' games for £20
Boxed Dreamcast Controller and rumble pack £8
And a trade that has attained me a CIB Pirates for the C64 and Spy v Spy for Xbox.
Reservoir Rat for GB 99p

Never owned a DS nor Gameboy till now.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:39 am

Some more stuff over the last few days.

2 Mayflash F300 arcade sticks - One boxed, one not. Compatible with PS4, XBone, PS3, 360, PC and Android. £30 each from CEX.

Then some games

and finally (because I can't find the non game bought topic)